Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663303 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [EXE] OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #525 on: September 19, 2015, 01:02:04 pm »
This is not problem of "how" but "why". I try keep my goals low and focused. Maybe at some point I would expand it but right now I try keep it to improving mod support. I don't see problems if someone disagree and create Extended^2 version :)

Yeah, I understand it, and that's why I said it was a stretch. Still, I guess I have underestimated how cumbersome this project is, so I guess any extra code will weigh on future updates.

btw I slowly finishing merging master to extended branch. My "vacation" end up with 200+ commits behind master (whole extended version have over 200 unique commits) :/
Probably in this weekend I will release catch up version with all goodies form recent nightlies.

Oh, that would be nifty. Thanks. :)

Offline stalks

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 20, 2015, 08:23:21 pm »
Love your work, Yankes!

Any chance that you might be able to implement something like UFOExtenders "burst" and "full auto" firing modes?

What I mean is, they let you click on multiple points, and then would auto-fire ranging between those points.

In mods now you see a lot of weapons that fire very large numbers of shots in automatic mode (5 shots, even up to 20 shots!) but if you actually want to use these weapons to spray down an area you have to stick them on a rookie with bad aim and hope for the best, because someone with good aim will put all the rounds into the same spot.

If you could add the ability for a weapon to set two points for all the shots in auto mode will be distributed between, that would be great. (Basically, the first shot is aimed at the first point you click, the second 1/(N-1) of the way between the first and second points, the third 2/(N-1) between the first and second points, and so on until the last shot is aimed right at the second point)

That way we could actually use miniguns to shred cover in jungles, and try to kill several aliens that are grouped together with sustained fire.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 24, 2015, 08:40:17 am »
Those firing modes would be very nice, but they certainly don't fall within this mod's objectives.

If someone was to program this, I guess it would use waypoints, a bit similar to the Blaster Launcher's. In the simplest model, the user would place two of them and the game would calculate a straight line between them, then place as many evenly distributed points along it as the number of bullets, then shoot one bullet at each point.

Offline stalks

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 25, 2015, 08:02:03 pm »
Oh? Sorry, I didn't see a statement of objective for the mod, and from the features added I just got the impression that it was about adding modding options. I guess the part where it has interface behavior instead of just back-end behavior is what's out of scope?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 25, 2015, 10:24:39 pm »
Those firing modes would be very nice, but they certainly don't fall within this mod's objectives.

If someone was to program this, I guess it would use waypoints, a bit similar to the Blaster Launcher's. In the simplest model, the user would place two of them and the game would calculate a straight line between them, then place as many evenly distributed points along it as the number of bullets, then shoot one bullet at each point.
I degree with "certainly" :> This depend on scope of changes require to made it work. Even your example show possible solution that I could accept (because it reuse available things). Only question is it worth it?

Oh? Sorry, I didn't see a statement of objective for the mod, and from the features added I just got the impression that it was about adding modding options. I guess the part where it has interface behavior instead of just back-end behavior is what's out of scope?
1) increasing mod support
2) keep changes only to code (e.g. don't change original rulesets or add new files)
3) avoiding UI and Language changes (because if I want do it properly it will require violating point 2)
4) prefer changes with large "new game play mechanic" / "new code" ratio

In case of your request only thing that lack is point 4. But this could changed based how it will be implemented.
Right now my answer would be "probably not" / "maybe".

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 26, 2015, 08:32:52 pm »
Ok, next catch up release will be today or tomorrow. I finished merging and I hope that I don't create new bugs :)
If I will have time I will try fix bugs that was reported from previous version.

Code is already published, I someone do not want wait then is possible to compile it himself.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 28, 2015, 02:03:56 am »
New version ready. Primary change are from master.
I skip some recent commits but it should still work with current nightly.
In next week I plan add skipped commits and some bug fix.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #532 on: October 03, 2015, 12:39:56 pm »
Would it be possible to re-introduce vanilla UFO's Waypoint number limit for Blaster-type weapon (a moddable one, of course) that is IMO sorely missing from OXCom? :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 03, 2015, 12:48:03 pm »
Would it be possible to re-introduce vanilla UFO's Waypoint number limit for Blaster-type weapon (a moddable one, of course) that is IMO sorely missing from OXCom? :)

Yeah, and since we're at it, enabling it to be formula? For example, psiStrength/10?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 03, 2015, 04:29:21 pm »
After finishing scripting I can add it.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 10, 2015, 01:12:28 am »
Ok first stage (aka merge) is finished.
https://youtu.be/FKzqCOg2DrQ

Next I will refactoring it to improve code. I plan that it will be finished in two weeks.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: October 10, 2015, 01:32:16 am »
Ok first stage (aka merge) is finished.
https://youtu.be/FKzqCOg2DrQ

Next I will refactoring it to improve code. I plan that it will be finished in two weeks.

Nice colour effect!
And congrats on reaching the milestone.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #537 on: October 10, 2015, 03:47:40 am »
The effect can find many uses, like illuminated sprites when the lights are off... Nice!

Offline TigerLord

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 10, 2015, 04:54:02 am »
Where do I put the extender exe. please? Is there then a new way to use mods? I know there is instructions somewhere but ive been looking and cant find them.

Any help much appreciated, thanks:)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 10, 2015, 01:10:55 pm »
The effect can find many uses, like illuminated sprites when the lights are off... Nice!
because I forget add shade part to this script :>

Where do I put the extender exe. please? Is there then a new way to use mods? I know there is instructions somewhere but ive been looking and cant find them.

Any help much appreciated, thanks:)
Next to original exe. And to fully use extended version you need have mods that explicitly use functionality from it like Dioxine's X-Piratez.