aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663361 times)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [EXE] OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #510 on: August 22, 2015, 02:34:33 am »
Regarding that, could you make a pull request for the respective code into the master branch?
You should ask Warboy first if he is interested in that code. I prefer not wasting my time on things that can be rejected.

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 22, 2015, 02:53:40 am »
yankes would it be possible to limit/restrict weapons based on skills?

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 22, 2015, 02:59:17 am »
also would it be possible to add stringstats for items ? like researched,  cost, damage type, power, aimedAcc, snapAcc, autoAcc, aimedTU, snapTU, autoTU, etc

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #513 on: September 07, 2015, 11:27:11 am »
Hmm... it seems that the missionCustomDeploy doesn't use alert, briefing or marker name associated with the new deployment. Would it be possible to include this as well? Ideally only if the new deployment declares any of that (if not, the current behaviour should be enforced, ie. the custom deployment inherits the briefing of the basic deployment).

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: September 07, 2015, 08:27:44 pm »
idea was that it only override alien weapon deployment. In theory it could be possible to "inherit" values but it probably will require manually handling all values. And that is thing I prefer avoid.

Another thing is why you need do it? Couldn't you create separate mission that will have different alert, briefing, marker?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #515 on: September 07, 2015, 08:57:36 pm »
Well, my knowledge in that area might be outdated... The last time I've tried that, there was no way to tie a specific Objective 3 mission (as in, ufo flights) with a specific Objective 3 ground mission. Both were chosen at random, independently of each other. Has this changed recently? Sorry if I'm asking obvious things, but it's hard to track everything :)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: September 07, 2015, 11:56:32 pm »
Well, my knowledge in that area might be outdated... The last time I've tried that, there was no way to tie a specific Objective 3 mission (as in, ufo flights) with a specific Objective 3 ground mission. Both were chosen at random, independently of each other. Has this changed recently? Sorry if I'm asking obvious things, but it's hard to track everything :)
I need consulting this with code to answer your question. Probably previously it work that way, but I don't know how it work now after Warboy mission script overhead. I will think about some solution for that but this will need wait after I finish (start :>) working on my script engine.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #517 on: September 13, 2015, 04:02:47 pm »
From my experience with Piratez, and to a lesser degree also FMP, a big problem is that the AI cannot use weapons with limited range. This is rather sad, since you can't give the AI weapons like flamers or throwing knives and expect them to use them effectively.
I think overcoming this limitation would be fairly doable, though I don't know if it really is. The idea to implement would be:
1. Add one more check whenever an AI attempts to shoot a weapon. It checks if the weapon has limited range or not; if not (like most ranged weapons), then nothing special happens.
2. If the weapon has limited range, then the game checks if the target is in range. If yes, nothing special happens; if not, see point 3.
3. This actually requires some AI coding, but it's more or less the same as for aliens with melee weapons (which work). Essentially, the only difference is that instead of going straight to an adjacent square, the unit checks for distance after each step. If it is within range of the weapon now, it goes back to normal shooting; if not, it makes another step towards the target. Repeat until the unit is in range or it runs out of TUs.

Yankes, do you think it's relatively easy to do?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: September 13, 2015, 04:35:19 pm »
Probably yes, right now game need handle moving unit to right spot that allow clear shoot. Fix your problem would be marking all far places as "unclear".

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: September 13, 2015, 08:03:08 pm »
Probably yes, right now game need handle moving unit to right spot that allow clear shoot. Fix your problem would be marking all far places as "unclear".

OK, I'll try to familiarize myself with the code to think about it. I've never coded anything in C++ though, so it's not going to be easy. In other words, I'm counting on you. :P

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #520 on: September 15, 2015, 03:05:07 pm »
Would it be possible to pull the flashing health bar (indicating Fatal Wounds) into the Extended branch? It seems unlikely to be included in the main build, and a lot of people would really appreciate it...

niculinux

« Reply #521 on: September 15, 2015, 03:36:44 pm »
Also, in openxcom extended, saved games are stored in the installation subfolder /user is that right?That is to say C:\openxcomExtended/user\ ?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: September 15, 2015, 08:02:36 pm »
Would it be possible to pull the flashing health bar (indicating Fatal Wounds) into the Extended branch? It seems unlikely to be included in the main build, and a lot of people would really appreciate it...
I prefer keep away (if I can) form altering UI or language data, but because you provide exe you could always alter it by adding this code.

Also, in openxcom extended, saved games are stored in the installation subfolder /user is that right?That is to say C:\openxcomExtended/user\ ?
Saves are stored exactly same way like in normal openxcom. If OXC stored there then OXCE will do too. Another thing is that for default OXC store save in home directory.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: September 19, 2015, 08:59:36 am »
I prefer keep away (if I can) form altering UI or language data, but because you provide exe you could always alter it by adding this code.

It is probably a stretch, but perhaps this could be done through adding a Boolean to vars.rul? flashingHealth: true enabling the feature, while flashingHealth: false (or nothing) disabling it.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: September 19, 2015, 12:52:01 pm »
It is probably a stretch, but perhaps this could be done through adding a Boolean to vars.rul? flashingHealth: true enabling the feature, while flashingHealth: false (or nothing) disabling it.
This is not problem of "how" but "why". I try keep my goals low and focused. Maybe at some point I would expand it but right now I try keep it to improving mod support. I don't see problems if someone disagree and create Extended^2 version :)

btw I slowly finishing merging master to extended branch. My "vacation" end up with 200+ commits behind master (whole extended version have over 200 unique commits) :/
Probably in this weekend I will release catch up version with all goodies form recent nightlies.