Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 672720 times)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [EXE] OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #465 on: July 22, 2015, 12:05:58 pm »
Thanks a lot for your hard work, Yankes!

And i finally understood the flame damage calculation better and could make the heatray weapons work again. For those interested: Flame weapons do iirc 0-10 random damage for ~3 rounds when a unit is aflame. The ufopedia damage is only used for the area covered, it has no real meaning in terms of damage. So if you want to have a incendiary weapon have e.g. 40 REAL damage you can give it ANY damage value you want, it doesn't matter. However, you can adjust damage dealt by adjusting the TOHEALTH value (in Extended exe only of course) in my example this would mean TOHEALTH 4.0 which is dealt only once when hitting the target. Then you will get some random flame damage (0-10 iirc) for around 3 turns additionally. For a 130 damage flame weapon you would use 13.0 etc. However do not forget the additional random damage, so maybe use a slightly lower value.

And yes, Yankes, you had nothing to do with it, it's a vanilla exe thing.  :)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 22, 2015, 12:16:45 pm »
I just discovered an interesting use for the requiresbuy function.

I wanted to declutter the research screen a bit, so I made an item with battletype 0 (geoscape only item like alloy and e-115) and gave it requiresbuy -LASERWEAPONS_Something so it would appear only after I could build laserweapons (just an example), then I added a research for this item (needitem:true is important) and made it unlock e.g. Gauss weaponry.

Result: I can now decide if I want to research Gauss weapons by "buying" a let's say RESEARCH CONTRACT GAUSS and only then will the researches appear in the research screen. If not wanted the research screen is emptier and cleaner.

It is even possible to use those "resources" (let's call the item GAUSS WEAPON KNOWLEDGE) in the manufacture list as a resource. That way the purchasable item remains interesting after the first research.

So far I "decluttered" Heatray, Terran plasma, Mass accelaerator and Railgun weaponry and boy does that research screen look tidy now or what!  :)

I gave the items a high listorder number (15000+) so they appear at the bottom of the list, this makes the purchase screen also look tidy. I recommend to use UPPERCASE names so the research items are easier to recognize from other items.

I hope this helps someone. Me for one, I am very content with the way it looks/works.

Good work Yankes, your work is really appreciated!  8)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #467 on: July 22, 2015, 01:47:55 pm »
I had a similar idea (and even introduced it at some point), but for me, personally, a thing that you want to buy only once and then it does nothing beside cluttering the store would be unacceptable...

Also fire does 5-15 not 0-10 damage afaik. You don't need to use ToHealth either, just change RandomType to 1 for it to calculate initial damage like a normal weapon. You get a more "natural" blast damage propagation that way.

Also if you want items at the bottom of any list, omitting the listOrder altogether works best :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 01:52:40 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 22, 2015, 07:08:02 pm »
Also fire does 5-15 not 0-10 damage afaik. You don't need to use ToHealth either, just change RandomType to 1 for it to calculate initial damage like a normal weapon. You get a more "natural" blast damage propagation that way.
+1 :>

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 23, 2015, 01:54:49 am »
New version 2.4:
Option for defining bonus and damage type for melee in range weapons.
Option for big explosion sound for each items.
Option for showing fixed weapons on unit.

Today version is supported by low hanging fruit.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 24, 2015, 11:29:08 am »
+1 :>

Thanks did that and it works even better now!  :)

edit:

The new explosion sounds do add more to the game than I had anticipated. I wonder why Warboy never bothered to change this, it really is a vast improvement without any major rewriting needed...

Oh and thanks so much for the fixed weapons on units howing up now, now the enforcer-like mods are really perfect again. Haven't tested the melee-weapon changes yet, but it should be possible now to make guns with bayonets plausible, isn't it?  8)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 03:49:59 pm by new_civilian »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 26, 2015, 06:54:18 pm »
The new explosion sounds do add more to the game than I had anticipated. I wonder why Warboy never bothered to change this, it really is a vast improvement without any major rewriting needed...
Most of my changes fall in that category, but at some point you need say stop because you will only do only this things not implementing TFTD.
I don't have plan implementing TFTD, therefore I can focus on this things :)

Haven't tested the melee-weapon changes yet, but it should be possible now to make guns with bayonets plausible, isn't it?  8)
That why it was added.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #472 on: July 26, 2015, 07:37:32 pm »
Quote from: new_civilian on July 24, 2015, 11:29:08 am

Haven't tested the melee-weapon changes yet, but it should be possible now to make guns with bayonets plausible, isn't it?  8)

That why it was added.

Already working on it :3

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 28, 2015, 12:54:54 pm »
I've started a new run through of hardmode v0.90 and was hoping to run it off the exe of version 2.4 rather than nightly 2015-07-27-1005 but  as soon as I tried to assault the first alienbase (floater) the game crashes to the desktop, works fine off the nightly exe. Is there possibly some sort of conflict/incompatability here as I was looking forward to using the 4 weapons for crafts, training room facility and only sleeping mods.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #474 on: July 28, 2015, 01:02:48 pm »
I've started a new run through of hardmode v0.90 and was hoping to run it off the exe of version 2.4 rather than nightly 2015-07-27-1005 but  as soon as I tried to assault the first alienbase (floater) the game crashes to the desktop, works fine off the nightly exe. Is there possibly some sort of conflict/incompatability here as I was looking forward to using the 4 weapons for crafts, training room facility and only sleeping mods.

Btw Simon, you should turn off the PSX Static Cydonia Map, since i spawn up to 64 enemy units and i have no clue how that would work out.
They might be incompatible (Hardmode Expansion and PSX stati Cydonia Map). I will also use a customized Script for the last Missions in the future.
Just so you know.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 28, 2015, 01:11:48 pm »
Thanks for the tip, will do that now as there is no surprise at the end when you know the brain is upstairs in the t shaped room.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 29, 2015, 04:37:18 pm »
Yankes, there was a dogfight error in the original exe which got fixed, you might want to update to include that fix. Right now dogfights are rather one-sided (UFOs do not fire back correctly or only once).

I love the new explosion sound abilty!  :)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 01, 2015, 01:38:06 am »
It would be good if I get save that show this bug. Another thing is test if original exe work fine with that save. If it crash it mean that is possible that is not my fault.

[ps]

after grabbing you save from hard mode topic and  installing only hm v0.90 I could without problems run this mission. I would need more info to find error there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 01:50:22 am by Yankes »

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 01, 2015, 02:54:31 am »
Just tried it again, using exe of extended v2.4 with everything else from nightly 2015-07-27-1005 but it crashes to desktop before landing site 13.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 01, 2015, 01:51:05 pm »
But what mods was enabled? only HM 0.90?