aliens

Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663164 times)

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [EXE] OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #405 on: June 11, 2015, 01:09:39 pm »
The old "Regeneration" feature is completely useless compared to the new "Recovery" which allows you full control over the recovery of stamina, health, morale, whatever, basing it on whatever formula you want, in any combination.

Gee, thanks, Dioxine amd Yankes, will test the new feature right away! And sorry for having been confused  :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #406 on: June 11, 2015, 06:05:18 pm »
Hey Yankes.  I've been having a discussion in the PirateZ extended thread about Spy Glasses.

This would be a nerfed mind probe giving Race and Rank only. 

However, I've come to realize that it wouldn't be possible unless the Mind Probe values could be externalized.  Meaning, a "probe" type item could give varying degrees of information according to how it would be defined in the ruleset.

Is that something that you would consider adding to your build?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 11, 2015, 06:16:10 pm »
Seems too much effort for (very) questionable benefit to me...

Maybe just display the race (and possibly rank, although I don't like that at all, also not in FMP... you shouldn't know what rank which individual is!) as text somewhere near the alien (resp. piratez human/hybrid) when holding a certain hotkey, or toggle.

Nah... after writing this, it's still a stupid idea... the sprites should really be enough to recognize the race... but that's just my opinion.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 11, 2015, 06:47:08 pm »
The idea being exactly that: Help people learn what the sprites are to allow them to recignize the units later. It's a tool to help on a first playthrough. But I think it is possible to come with a LoS required and high enough TU mind probe where giving away stats isn't that big of a deal any ways. It's not like people heavily abuse mind probes in vanilla...

Another feature request for you Yankes:
1- The ability to define multiple inventory layouts (ie the "boxes" in which you put items). Currently you can modify that through ruleset, but there is still only one layout for all.
2- The ability to link different layouts to different armors. This way you could have a mule outfit with a huge backpack, a ninja outfit with barely any storage, a pirate outfit with a 3 tiles scabbard for a sword, etc.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 11, 2015, 08:11:40 pm »
I probably give some love to mind probe because I didn't change it at all in my Extended version.

And for custom inventory, this would be problematic because lot of code depends on/use this (like AI, inventory templates, equipping units).
This would require more work that is worth.

I thinking about resurrecting my old branch: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2059.0.html
This could give couple of things:
1) Recolor of corpses and bigobj for unit.
2) Simple unit animations and fully customizable recoloring.
3) Large access to game logic by mods in long run.

Do you are interesting in that functionality? This would require some work but at least most of hardest thing are done in that branch.
But if nobody would use it, it would better if I spend my time on more useful things.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 11, 2015, 10:19:00 pm »
And for custom inventory, this would be problematic because lot of code depends on/use this (like AI, inventory templates, equipping units).
If you keep the customization to player armor that would leave the AI alone. It's not like they really use the inventory much so tweaking it would be weird. As for templates and default equipment, save which inventory layout is used: if it's different, equip nothing. It's the player's responsability to re-equip a soldier if they change armors (which they probably would any ways, since armors tends to define roles).

I thinking about resurrecting my old branch: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2059.0.html
This could give couple of things:
1) Recolor of corpses and bigobj for unit.
2) Simple unit animations and fully customizable recoloring.

Do you are interesting in that functionality? This would require some work but at least most of hardest thing are done in that branch.
But if nobody would use it, it would better if I spend my time on more useful things.
#1 and 2 are beyond me, #3 sounds like a very interesting thing, depending on what actually can be tweaked. It could potentially turn OpenXCom into a game engine instead of a game.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #411 on: June 12, 2015, 02:33:31 pm »

I think it can be done much simpler. Allow for custom-placement of fixed weapons? (built-in weapons). That way a modder can simply block some of the inventory space with blanks or whatever. He'd just make the biggest as the default and block off excess space everywhere else.

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Extended Openxcom doubts.
« Reply #412 on: June 12, 2015, 04:09:39 pm »

Good morning:
I hope not mistaken, and post in the right place:
I have some doubt about the use of some of the instructions OpenXcom Extended. Can not get to work, or have the effect, I think they have to produce, in my mods.
For example:
craftWeapons:
  - Type: STR_CRAFTWEAPON_TYPE #default config ...
    weaponType: 1 #default value 0.
    stats: #added to craft's stats.
      FuelMax: 0 #additive bonus stats to craft.
      damageMax: 0 #additive bonus stats to craft.
      Speedmax: 0 #additive bonus stats to craft.
      accel: 0 #additive bonus stats to craft.
      Radarrange: 0 #additive bonus stats to craft.
      radarChance: 0 #additive bonus stats to craft.
      sightRange: 0 #additive bonus stats to craft.
      hitBonus: 0 #bonus percentage chance to hit all weapons. Range [0, 100].
      avoidBonus: 0 #bonus percentage to craft dodge chance. Range [0, 100].
      powerBonus: 0 percentage #bonus damage to all weapons. Range [0, 100].
      armor: 0 #amount of blocked damage per hit
I managed to run, the armor, but the rest of statistics, I can not make you join the ship, where the weapons are.

Nor have I accomplished, I go this:
facilities:
   - Type: STR_SOME_FACILITY
     provideBaseFunc: [A] #List of custom IDs That Provide for bulding esta base.
     requiresBaseFunc: [] That #List of custom IDs are require to build esta building in base.
manufacture:
   - Type: STR_SOME_MANUFACTURE
     requiresBaseFunc: [A, C]
Finally, is there any way that taking over an object, you add health, energy, etc., and then to leave, statistics soldier, returning to its previous state?
If anyone can make, a simple list, especially of the first issues to understand how they work, very grateful in advance. Sorry for the length of my question.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #413 on: June 12, 2015, 06:03:38 pm »

I hope this means what I think it means.

And I think about the teleport device from UNIMOD.

What is UNIMOD? It's a big-ass mod for UFO: Extraterrestials. It added much, much stuff and made the game actually enjoyable, and ambitious.

What is a teleport device? It's a rare alien artifact added in UNIMOD that worked via throwing. When thrown, it disappeared on impact, and the user was teleported to the same location (with teleport in hand again). It was surprisingly non-cheaty, too.

Now, to implement it in Openxcom, one would have to write a script that would be then linked to a grenade, instead of doing damage. But it seems to be a bit too far-fetched for OXCE... Or am I wrong? ;)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #414 on: June 12, 2015, 06:54:09 pm »
@Alinare
I have tested all these functions and they work flawlessly (well, extra fuel has trouble with non-standard fuel). Can you paste your code here? Else there is no telling what's wrong.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 12, 2015, 07:48:04 pm »
I hope this means what I think it means.

And I think about the teleport device from UNIMOD.

What is UNIMOD? It's a big-ass mod for UFO: Extraterrestials. It added much, much stuff and made the game actually enjoyable, and ambitious.

What is a teleport device? It's a rare alien artifact added in UNIMOD that worked via throwing. When thrown, it disappeared on impact, and the user was teleported to the same location (with teleport in hand again). It was surprisingly non-cheaty, too.

Now, to implement it in Openxcom, one would have to write a script that would be then linked to a grenade, instead of doing damage. But it seems to be a bit too far-fetched for OXCE... Or am I wrong? ;)
Yes, that could be possible :> but probably not on first batch. It will take some time to expose all internals of OXC to script engine.

I think it can be done much simpler. Allow for custom-placement of fixed weapons? (built-in weapons). That way a modder can simply block some of the inventory space with blanks or whatever. He'd just make the biggest as the default and block off excess space everywhere else.
I think if we stick only to disabling then prober way to do it is add option to armor than using hacks. This have one good property that even if I f*** up game will still run fine only with some glitch. It would be possible to change this property without breaking saves.
Arthanor if you think that option in armor for disabling whole inventory part like backpack or belt then I can do it.

@alinare
Could you say exactly what you want to achieve? And as Dioxine said without your ruleset file I can't help you because I don't know what did wrong.
Overall to use properly Extended version you need understood how basic OpenXcom ruleset works without it is impossible even to understood Extended documentation.

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Openxcom extended doubt.
« Reply #416 on: June 12, 2015, 08:07:30 pm »
Hi:

Thank you for answering me so soon. I copied some of my mods listed. I do not get to apply these instructions, either, am I, who do not understand how they work. Here I refer you some examples. Sorry for the extension.

facilities:
  - Type: STR_NUCLEAR_DEFENSES
    provideBaseFunc:
      - STR_LIVING_ROOMS
    spriteShape: 3
    spriteFacility: 300
    buildCost: 500000
    Buildtime: 30
    monthlyCost: 50000
    personnel: 50
    workshops: 100
    defense: 800
    HitRatio: 60
    fireSound 5
    hitSound 10
    mapName: XBASS_21
ufopaedia:
  - Id: STR_NUCLEAR_DEFENSES
    type_id: 6
    section: STR_BASE_FACILITIES
    text: STR_NUCLEAR_DEFENSES_UFOPEDIA
    listOrder: 6990
extraStrings:
  - Type: en-US
    strings:
      STR_NUCLEAR_DEFENSES: "Nuclear Missile Defenses"
      STR_NUCLEAR_DEFENSES_UFOPEDIA: "Nuclear missiles, have maintained a tense peace During the recent and long Decades of the Cold War Between the two superpowers Nuclear deterrence prevented us the world again embroiled in another devastating world war, This Time, It Would Have Been With the nuclear.. exception of World War II, nuclear weapons Have never been tested in battle, and less against goals came from outer space, so do not know how They will behave. Each silo has a provision of ten missiles Renewed That will be as soon as will be fired. "
extraSprites:
  - Type: BASEBITS.PCK
    files:
      300: Resources / Mod / Facilities / Basebits / Nuclear_Defenses.png

Hello. This example, a nuclear installation defenses. So I thought understand the ProvideBaseFunc: it is a prerequisite for building the facility, but I can not apply.

Another example of a component:
items:
  - Type: Retropropulsor
    size: 0.1
    costSell: 10000
research:
  - Name: Retropropulsor
   requiresBaseFunc:
       - STR_QUANTUM_LABORATORY
    cost: 5000
    dependencies:
      - STR_ELERIUM_115
      - STR_PARTICLE_MICROACCELERATION
      - STR_ANTIMATTER_CONTAINMENT
      - STR_ALIEN_POWER_SYSTEMS
      - STR_ALIEN_GRAVITY_GENERATOR
      - STR_SECTOID_NAVIGATOR
      - STR_SECTOID_ENGINEER
      - STR_EXALT_MEDIC
      - STR_ALIEN_ALLOYS
      - Data Disc
      - Ragnite
      - Miniaturization
manufacture:
  - Name: Retropropulsor
     requiresBaseFunc:
      - STR_NUCLEAR_DEFENSES
    category: STR_EQUIPMENT
    requires:
      - Retropropulsor
    space: 20
    time: 150
    cost: 8000
    requiredItems:
      STR_ELERIUM_115 5
      Ragnite 12
      STR_ALIEN_ALLOYS 10
ufopaedia:
  - Id: Retropropulsor
    type_id 7
    section: STR_WEAPONS_AND_EQUIPMENT
    requires:
      - Retropropulsor
    image_id: UP220.SPK
    text: The retropulsor That is a drive unit runs on a mixture of ragnite and elerium-115, developing a huge new lift, capable of lifting the heaviest loads force.
    text_width: 143

If I have not misunderstood - in manufacturing-that line, what it does is, you have to build a deteminada easily, or produce something concrete, so that the object is made.
As for the weapons of the ships, another example:
craftWeapons:
  - Type: EXOCET
     stats:
        damageMax: 0
    sprite: 1
    sound: 5
    damage: 200
    range: 70
    accuracy: 95
    reloadCautious: 4
    reloadStandard 10
    reloadAggressive: 16
    ammoMax: 1
    rearmRate: 1
    launcher: EXOCET LAUNCHER
    clip: EXOCET MISSILES
    projectileType: 1
    projectileSpeed ​​5
items:
  - Type: EXOCET LAUNCHER
    size: 1
    costBuy: 70000
    costSell: 30000
    transferTime: 200
    weight: 3
    bigSprite: 2
  - Type: EXOCET MISSILES
    size: 0.1
    costBuy: 80000
    costSell: 40000
    transferTime: 74
    clipSize: 1
ufopaedia:
  - Id: EXOCET
    type_id: 2
    section: STR_XCOM_CRAFT_ARMAMENT
    image_id: UP087.SPK
    text: This is a weapon of the type "fire and forget" that Makes its way to the target near the crest of the waves, About 10 m. When approaching the target, it May drop to 3 m, in contrast, rise Rapidly to avoid the missile systems and precipitate on the target.
target.

In this case, the maximum damage of the missile, not add me to the other weapons of the ship. The same happens with the speed, and other statistics.
And, and I abused your patience, I ask another question, if possible:
armors:
  - Type: HEROIC KNIGHT ARMOR
    spritesheet: XCOM_B.PCK
    spriteInv: MAN_B
    corpseItem: STR_CORPSE_HEROIC KNIGHT ARMOR
    storeItem: HEROIC KNIGHT ARMOR
    weight: 25
    stats:
      stamina: 30
      reactions 10
      firing: 15
      bravery 10
      health: 10
      strength: 5
      firing accuracy: 6
    recovery:
      health: 12
    frontArmor: 120
    sideArmor: 90
    rearArmor: 90
    underarmor: 70
    damageModifier:

loftempsSet: [3]
    recovery:
       health: 30

When I write, the option to recover 30 health every turn, openxcom disables the mod, and if I try to change, no effect.

I fail to understand that meaning, or function, have the letters in the brackets, or are lists of requirements:
requiresBaseFunc: [W, K]
provideBaseFunc [A, C]
I hope I explained well. I am Spanish, and my English, still leaves much to be desired. :)
Congratulations on this wonderful project. The other functions do not know as you call, they go perfectly. I understand for example, as will the tuaimed: cost and can lead, in time, health and other issues.

Greetings, and thanks again.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 12, 2015, 08:43:08 pm »
I think if we stick only to disabling then prober way to do it is add option to armor than using hacks. This have one good property that even if I f*** up game will still run fine only with some glitch. It would be possible to change this property without breaking saves.
Arthanor if you think that option in armor for disabling whole inventory part like backpack or belt then I can do it.

The ability to define where fixed weapons go would be awesome. It would allow equipment to start in hands where it can be used instead of in belt/backpack for HWPs, and to block off certain slots for certain armors. Just have to mod the basic inventory to have every possible slot and block them as needed. Works for me :D

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 12, 2015, 08:55:34 pm »
"provideBaseFunc" - this is list of functionality that facility give to base, say for example "A". This can be any text.
Code: [Select]
facilities:
  - Type: STR_NUCLEAR_DEFENSES
    provideBaseFunc: [A, ThisCanBeAnyText ]

"requiresBaseFunc" - this is what is require in base to use.
facilities:
  - Type: STR_NUCLEAR_DEFENSES_MK2
    requiresBaseFunc: [ A ] #this will case that better version of nuclear defenses can only build if you have at least one normal version that provide base function "A".

for craft weapons. "damageMax" mean HP of craft not weapon damage. Over all all "stats" in craft weapon are copy of craft rules.
If you want that weapon boos damage you should use "powerBonus".

Lastly recovery have different syntax:
armors:
  - Type: HEROIC KNIGHT ARMOR
    recovery:
       health:
         flatOne: 30 #this give +30 hp per turn
         bravery: 0.5 #this give hp bonus equal half of unit bravery
if unit have 60 bravery then it will regen (30 + 60 * 0.5) = 60 hp per turn.
Maybe I should add simpler syntax that you try use as alternative to current one.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #419 on: June 12, 2015, 09:46:42 pm »
Maybe I should add simpler syntax that you try use as alternative to current one.

Nooo! If you add a simpler syntax I won't be able to understand it! :)