Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE discussion thread  (Read 663705 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [EXE] OpenXcom Extended
« Reply #255 on: April 09, 2015, 08:04:09 pm »
Which Nightly will this new version be equivalent to?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 09, 2015, 08:16:24 pm »
31.03, I postpone merging recent changes from master branch. Do you want newer version?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #257 on: April 09, 2015, 08:44:55 pm »
No, actually I hoped for precisely that one :)

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 09, 2015, 10:26:30 pm »
Ok, new version is up.

changes:
Option for training rooms.
You can fully configure turn delay of alien weapon usage (global per weapon type/each weapon).
You can rename weapon slots in geoscape craft info (this is per craft).
Changed moment when current tu/energy bonus is calculated to weapon bonuses. Now is always: Spend Resources -> Calculate bonuses -> Apply damage
Previously when you do reaction shoot, game spend all resources for all shoots before firing any bullet. And normal shooting spend resources after firing bullet.

btw Solarius Scorch, when next time when you want fix my grammar mistaken, please edit this file:
https://github.com/Yankes/OpenXcom/blob/OpenXcomExtended/Extended.txt
This is master file that I use to generate readme.txt, first post in this tread and Mod page description.
Merging manually readme.txt with that file is very easy to mess up and I did it already couple of times now.

[ps]
I forget mention one important change, I turn off default overkill damage because it was outstanding compare to normal OXC.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:20:33 am by Yankes »

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 10, 2015, 01:06:05 am »
Likely dumb question:
why there are two files, OpenXcomEx.zip, OpenXcomExElf.zip, for the same version (1.6) ?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 10, 2015, 06:36:42 pm »
elf as name suggest is linux "exe" :D

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 11, 2015, 07:03:26 am »
So Yankes,

Have you thought about enhancing the civilian AI a bit in your version of OXC?

See thread where I apparently caused a bit of a ruckus: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3553.0.html

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 11, 2015, 12:45:01 pm »
So Yankes,

Have you thought about enhancing the civilian AI a bit in your version of OXC?

See thread where I apparently caused a bit of a ruckus: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3553.0.html
One thing that I once consider was give them alien AI (of course with changing who they consider as enemy) to allow them use weapons. Overall I made changes to AI but that was only small tweaks without changing overall logic. To made them smart would require lot more changes than that.
I don't know how to do it, I prefer doing change that I know how it should work before I start coding.
Last thing this don't align with goal of my branch that is increase modding capacity.

[branch progress]
Implemented new feature in my branch, now items/weapons can spend your HP, Morale and do stun damage when you use it. This required breaking change with old version because I removed old way of defining energy cost of use.
probably today or tomorrow will be new release.

[todo]
preprimed alien grenades
armor custom melee dodge and psi def
multiple inventory paperdolls
valid target specification for medkit & psiamp (special use attak)

[far todo]
range power reduction threshold
splash power reduction
more ranks

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 11, 2015, 07:36:56 pm »
I don't know how to do it, I prefer doing change that I know how it should work before I start coding.
Last thing this don't align with goal of my branch that is increase modding capacity.

That's fine.  I was wondering if you had thoughts about it.  Of course, making the AI modular in the code, you could create "personalities" for Aliens and civilians that can be assigned at the "mod" level for certain mission types.

[branch progress]
Implemented new feature in my branch, now items/weapons can spend your HP, Morale and do stun damage when you use it. This required breaking change with old version because I removed old way of defining energy cost of use.
probably today or tomorrow will be new release.

Sounds really cool, btw.  That would make one more careful about using certain items or weapons and could put a different spin on things.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #264 on: April 11, 2015, 11:21:47 pm »
This might seem obvious, but new ranks would also require un-hardcoding rank requirements and bonuses... and here's an idea:

Most people would probably want for the new ranks to work as old Sergeant+ ranks (ie. just more officer ranks). How about allowing for an alternate option: a soldier can be given an officer rank, as normal (depending on the number of soldiers/officers), but he can also advance in non-officer rank (like, from squaddie to veteran squaddie, to elite squaddie), ex. based on the number kills*missions - this would allow to see the approx quality of a soldier at a first glance - frankly, I don't like "squaddies forever" syndrome which happens when there is no place for new officers anymore. Naturally, as soon as any officer's post opens, such veteran/elite squaddie can be promoted as normal. This would basically require breaking up the ranks into 2 categories: soldier ranks (based on experience) and officer ranks (based mostly on the total number of XCom soldiers).

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 11, 2015, 11:24:16 pm »
you can almost copy/paste AlienBAIState into CivilianBAIState and change all the faction checks to make them target aliens, or you can give civilians an AlienBAIState and put in extra "if" statements to handle the difference. personally i'd go for the first option to avoid confusion.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2015, 12:50:28 am »
you can almost copy/paste AlienBAIState into CivilianBAIState and change all the faction checks to make them target aliens, or you can give civilians an AlienBAIState and put in extra "if" statements to handle the difference. personally i'd go for the first option to avoid confusion.

Cool.  I might go poke around then :)

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2015, 12:58:00 am »
This would basically require breaking up the ranks into 2 categories: soldier ranks (based on experience) and officer ranks (based mostly on the total number of XCom soldiers).

So basically like most militaries have -> non-commissioned officers (private first class (squaddie), to corporal, then all the way to master sergeant or higher depending on what military you model like sergeant major of the army) and commissioned officers (lieutenant to commander or general).

Would the morale affects be granular from top to bottom or would their be some overlap like a high level vet NCO has the same morale affect as a low ranking CO?  Thematically, I could see the second part of the question being more the case, because your people would get more attached to a long time vet who isn't commissioned (sergeant major) and gets killed versus some lieutenant fresh out of officer's school getting dropped right off the skyranger ramp.

I do like the idea of more ranks for thematic sake, just not sure how much it will affect the gameplay overall.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:18:19 am by jgatkinsn »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2015, 05:04:11 pm »
New version ready
Still based on 31/03/2015

New features are new cost for item/weapon use.
Code: [Select]
    costAimed:
      #cost of Aimed attack.
      time: 2         #time units cost, can be in %. Alias of `tuAimed`.
      energy: 0       #energy unit cost.
      morale: 10      #morale points cost.
      health: 1       #health points cost.
      stun: 2         #stun damage applied by atack use.
every `tuSomething` from oxc have now corresponding `costSomething`. Compared to previous version where only weapons handle it. Now all item types can use it.

I added threshold of when start applying power range reduction.
Explosion now have customizable reduction of power per tile.

btw custom ranks have big road block. when you try go back from OXCE to OXC after changing numbers of ranks game will crash or alt least be heavy bugged.
I prefer features that can easy fall back to original ones without big fuss. I don't know if this feature is worth breaking this forward compatibility with basic version.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #269 on: April 12, 2015, 05:45:03 pm »
All good news.

Yankes, would it be possible to un-hardcode the race that defends Cydonia on the surface? (Normally Sectoids.)

I'd like to make that final mission a bit harder, with special defensive crew.