Author Topic: [WEAPON] Alloy Sword 0.9.1  (Read 21009 times)

Offline NeoWorm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[WEAPON] Alloy Sword 0.9.1
« on: August 18, 2014, 10:42:42 pm »
A little present from Kiryu-Kai.

Simple melee weapon that counts in soldiers skill and strenght, have fixed TU cost and 80% accuracy. Quick research after alien alloys. If you have a guy with high melee accuracy skill and decent strenght it can be more effective than heavy weaponry.

I wont be ballancing this too much now, I want this to be a part of little more complex mod. But if somebody wants to give it some care and testing, feel free.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:52:43 pm by NeoWorm »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: [WEAPON] Alloy Sword 0.9
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 12:04:18 am »
Being sort of go-to person as far as melee weapons go, some tips: As of now, this delivers HUGE amounts of damage, however, with starting Xcom agent melee accuracy 20-40%, you'll be very lucky to hit anything at all (and 15 TU hardly gives more than 1-2 chances). :) I'd advise reducing the TU cost and damage, unless 1-hitting Sectopods is your aim :) Also, melee damage type is 7 not 1 (unless of course it was supposed to deliver AP damage).

Offline NeoWorm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 08:29:05 am »
I was aiming to one hit mutons if you can hit them. And I want to make it worth to have a guy with high TUs and anought melee skill to actually deliver. I have another mod in progress that should complement this in a nice way. At least I hope.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 10:27:15 am »
Well, if mutons are the intended target, damage type 1 (AP) is the worst one, as they only take 60%... Changing it to 7 (melee) would allow to reduce weapon's damage to 100 (which in turn means Sectopods sometimes won't go down to a single hit) :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 01:14:20 pm »
I don't think an alloy sword should be stronger than 100 anyway, and even that may be too much... And that's assuming the sword gets no bonus from Strength. If it does... ugh.

Hmm... How about arming Mutons with these? :)

niculinux

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 02:00:18 pm »
A little present from Kiryu-Kai.

Simple melee weapon that counts in soldiers skill and strenght, have fixed TU cost and 80% accuracy. Quick research after alien alloys. If you have a guy with high melee accuracy skill and decent strenght it can be more effective than heavy weaponry.

I wont be ballancing this too much now, I want this to be a part of little more complex mod. But if somebody wants to give it some care and testing, feel free.

+1!!

Personally, think it seems kinda "wolverkne glove" or somethinh... :D

Offline Warbear

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:33:32 pm »
Looks quite nice, but what's that pretty armor from the screenshot?

Offline NeoWorm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 11:52:23 pm »
Well, if mutons are the intended target, damage type 1 (AP) is the worst one, as they only take 60%... Changing it to 7 (melee) would allow to reduce weapon's damage to 100 (which in turn means Sectopods sometimes won't go down to a single hit) :)

That may be why I had to go with the damage that high. I completely overlooked the melee type damage. New version have damage of 100 and is little faster - 10 TU. Also it looks like I can edit .rul files directly on my tablet, so I may be able to do some more extensive testing on the fly.

By the way, anybody willing to donate some sounds for it? I am graphics guy, sounds go around me.

Personally, think it seems kinda "wolverkne glove" or somethinh... :D
It's shamelessly stolen design from Evangelion Unit-01 action figure swords. I dig designs from this series.

Looks quite nice, but what's that pretty armor from the screenshot?
My work in progress, I posted some more screens and inventory doll preview in other thread.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [WEAPON] Alloy Sword 0.9.1
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 01:42:02 pm »
I'd like to add this to the Final Mod Pack, although I think I'll adjust the stats a little...

And here's the Polish version:

Code: [Select]
      STR_ALLOY_SWORD: Miecz z obcych stopów
      STR_ALLOY_SWORD_UFOPEDIA: Odkrycie obcych stopów umożliwiło naszym naukowcom tworzenie narzędzi o interesujących właściwościach, takich jak ostrza wyrabiane z tego samego materiału, co zewnętrzny kadłub UFO, praktycznie niezniszczalne i zachowujące ostrość nawet po długim użytkowaniu. Ten specjalnie wykonany miecz to groźna broń do walki bezpośredniej, wykorzystująca siłę i umiejętności żołnierza do eliminowania nawet ciężko opancerzonych przeciwników.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 02:05:38 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 06:43:42 pm »
My (admittedly nowhere near master-class) knowledge of swordfighting cringes when I see the stats this is supposed to have. Penetration and damage potential of a sword are nowhere near an RPG round and while I do understand the coolness factor there's an old saying that comes to mind: never bring a knife to a gunfight.

Yes, there are exceptions to this rule. And you're in big trouble when there's a guy with a knife close to you and your gun is still holstered. But generally speaking, it should be better to shoot the aliens than rush them with a sword.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2014, 06:58:32 pm »
An RPG round? That's fireworks :) You forgot that it adds Strength to the damage, so it's more something in between Heavy Plasma and Blaster Bomb :)

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2014, 07:17:27 pm »
My bad. But then again, it kinda looks like a katana so the damage similar to a blaster bomb is probably okay  ;D

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 07:19:36 pm »
Hmm... I'd say it's rather a khopesh. But I'm skewed towards ancient Egypt.

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 07:45:05 pm »
A khopesh? Yes, I do see the curve at the blade's spine but you must really *love* ancient Egypt to see a khopesh there. Not that it is a bad weapon, the hooking potential is definitely interesting, but the alloy sword doesn't remind me of one.

Truth is I'm still not sure whether that perceived curve isn't in fact just a really dark spine. Maybe the sprite creator could clarify this?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 09:03:04 pm »
It's the khopesh of the future, man. Full-blown hooks went obsolete long time ago, around the emergence of motorized warfare, they got entangled in the equipment all the time, and pulling people off the tanks with that hook turned out to be much harder in practice than in theory anyway... :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:05:16 pm by Dioxine »