Author Topic: [FACILITY] Improved Living Quarters + Large Stores (updated 2.0)  (Read 44586 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
This standalone mod adds 3 things:

1. Living Quarters now contain showers & toilets (new tilesets made from Tentacular's resources);
2. New facility - Large Living Quarters. It takes 2x2 tiles but is more space-effective.
3. New facility - Large Storage Facility. It takes 2x2 tiles but is more space-effective.

!Warning! Might not be compatible with other mods that add extra tilesets to the base.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:53:35 pm by Dioxine »

niculinux

Re: [FACILITY] Improved Living Quarters - Now With Pictures
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 05:23:39 pm »
TOP NOTCH

8)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 06:03:17 pm »
could you make a big workshop?
with this ruleset
Code: [Select]
facilities:
  - type: STR_WORKSHOP_BIG
    workshops: 400
manufacture:
  - name: STR_AVENGER
    space: 436
you need a big workshop to make a craft (or you need at least 9 small workshops)

making the big workshop as expensive as 10-15 small workshops should discourage the use as a "always better" replacement for the small workshops 
making your own crafts should be more of an economic challenge

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 06:11:02 pm »
But... you already need a hangar to assemble the craft in, + a bunch of space in the workshop (for working on large parts I guess?), isn't that enough space already?

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 06:24:21 pm »
you know xcom builds a completely new craft thats capable of flying through space!
if i compare the "space: 30" requiremnt for the hovertank with an avenger-type craft there is a gap
even with "magic" alien thingies

there was a discussion where the idea was making avenger a normal craft and creating the need to push a lot of resources into building a single-use mars attack spacecraft  (fast, low detection chance, big enough for a xcom group big enough to attack uncharted territory, slow and useless in earth atmosphere)
having such workshop for this would fit that story

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 07:00:34 pm »
Good idea with the Avenger, Falko! And yes, I could make a big workshop pretty easily... If I had the time.

However I'd rathe leave the Avenger as it is (except for vastly increased economic challenge, like you said) and add some less-OP craft as the "ultimate non-Cydonia craft"

However #2, to make your idea work we'd need something like 3x3 workshop with 1500 or so capacity, and make Avenger require 800-1000 space, else you could easily meet the space requisites for the Avenger with a block of 9 normal workshops.

9+12 (3 large quarters)+3 stores+4 (hangar)+lift = 29 tiles out of 36, pretty much a whole base dedicated to the space program
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 07:14:30 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 01:29:03 am »
you know xcom builds a completely new craft thats capable of flying through space!
if i compare the "space: 30" requiremnt for the hovertank with an avenger-type craft there is a gap
even with "magic" alien thingies

there was a discussion where the idea was making avenger a normal craft and creating the need to push a lot of resources into building a single-use mars attack spacecraft  (fast, low detection chance, big enough for a xcom group big enough to attack uncharted territory, slow and useless in earth atmosphere)
having such workshop for this would fit that story
But.. A new craft requires a whole hangar to be assembled in, plus the workshop space. That means making craft pieces requires as much space as a HWP..

I like the idea of a Mars strike craft though, bigger, requires lots of navigation/power sources to make, useless in the atmosphere but carries more since it is going for a planet.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 02:43:30 am »
Nice job Dioxine  :)

Offline Sturm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 12:11:40 am »
But.. A new craft requires a whole hangar to be assembled in, plus the workshop space. That means making craft pieces requires as much space as a HWP..

I like the idea of a Mars strike craft though, bigger, requires lots of navigation/power sources to make, useless in the atmosphere but carries more since it is going for a planet.
The Mars strike craft could be much larger than an avenger but carry a similar amount of troops - due to the need to carry sufficient amount of breathable air and supplies to get to Mars just like UFOs aren't filled with aliens like sardine cans.
Getting a Skyranger cargo to Mars would probably require a Terror Ship-sized X-Com Craft and an Avenger cargo a Battleship-sized one.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 12:52:15 am »
I agree with the Mars Attack craft... should contain creature comforts, bridge et al, but be not very good to use on Earth.

Meanwhile, I've made sort of template for drawing new 2x2 facilities, with spaces for all 8 potential doors left. Little gray pixels mark cutoff points.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 12:54:11 am by Dioxine »

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 01:17:16 am »
And a big living alien facility. A big laboratory a big general store. Etc...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 01:23:31 am »
And a big living alien facility. A big laboratory a big general store. Etc...

Especially the general store! :)

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 01:25:16 am »
Yeah. And more difficult to game. The elerium store. Necesary to store elerium more hard the game. But its a idea XD

Offline smexyvami

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 01:37:00 pm »
Especially the general store! :)

yes please big stores and posablt 2x1 labs and workshops ?

Offline Dr_Rad

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 02:59:52 pm »
Perfect.

I had the same idea. I was missing the showers & toilets too.

This version would fit the "human recources mod" I plan. Living quarters should contain ca. 14 beds here.