aliens

Author Topic: Are there any girls on this forum?  (Read 9872 times)

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Are there any girls on this forum?
« on: August 13, 2014, 12:21:23 am »
I've always wondered if we do have any female forum members.

Surely, modding games is a pretty male domain but don't we have a single girl here? :-\
My gf finds OXC hilarious and even successfully made her way through a terror mission once, but she wouldn't bother to seriously work herself through the entire game, let alone spend hours on developing new features for it.
Too bad, she's a lot better in both drawing and coding than me. :-[

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any girls on this forum?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 04:20:25 am »
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?action=stats

"Male to Female Ratio: 23:1"

So yes, unless the forum stats page has a problem, though bear in mind that over 150 forum members have never made a post and another 150 or so only made 1.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:34:29 am by the_third_curry »

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:13:17 pm »
Thanks, I admit I've never looked at the stats page.
If correct we should have about 40 female forum members.  :)
Do really all of them fall into the 0 post fraction? Hard to believe. ???

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:23:43 pm »
or they post without making their gender an issue ( in name or post)
and that is fine IMHO

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 12:10:27 am »
or they post without making their gender an issue ( in name or post)
and that is fine IMHO

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 03:13:37 pm »
Of course not, there are no girls on the internet. ;)

But seriously, it's true though that strategy games are near the very top of most masculine game genres, as shown by the graph below.

(It's related to mobile games, but that's the best I could find in 5 minutes. Plus, it's consistent with other research publications regarding mobile games.)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 07:37:13 pm »
Would be interesting to find where OpenXCom is on that graph. I'm guessing higher average age (not 25 like regular strategy) and probably higher men% too, somewhere in that rather empty top left corner.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:22:54 am »
Would be interesting to find where OpenXCom is on that graph. I'm guessing higher average age (not 25 like regular strategy) and probably higher men% too, somewhere in that rather empty top left corner.

There's no statistics for age demographics on the stat page, so there's no way to know for certain.

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 01:11:53 am »
The problem is the clothes. Are horribles. May design a victoria secrets armour and the girls coming again XD

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 03:28:27 am »
The problem is the clothes. Are horribles. May design a victoria secrets armour and the girls coming again XD

Could we have Mutons in tutus as well? :P

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 05:58:36 am »
I doubt that. Realistic female armor tends to be more successful. Your suggestion might increase enjoyment by male gamers though.

From my experience, female gamers don't want their gender to be a topic/an issue. Which means this topic is actually counter-productive :P

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 05:23:30 pm »
I doubt that. Realistic female armor tends to be more successful. Your suggestion might increase enjoyment by male gamers though.

From my experience, female gamers don't want their gender to be a topic/an issue. Which means this topic is actually counter-productive :P
I have friends thar go in to one shop only for the clothe in windows. The female mind is ...... Female

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 09:37:31 pm »
Some women want to dress fancy, some women don't want to. There are always plenty of people on either side who will try to put all women in a bottle, so to speak, but the truth is that women come in many flavors.

I think having a variety of armor designs across all venues, with the default looking the same as the current armor would do best for drawing in female gamers. Some would try out new suit designs, some would stick with the default or ignore that aspect, some would incessantly change to new styles, and some would rage about other peoples' style choices--but everyone would find something compatible with their play style.

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 06:03:37 pm »
Could we have Mutons in tutus as well? :P

Careful, Mutons in tutus are more dangerous than Ethereals, even without psionics!

Anywhosit It seems in a sense that although the female mindset is way different than that of males, XCOM did have a correct sense of togetherness. Let's face it, if Aliens actually DO invade Earth, both men AND women are going to want to protect themselves, especially joining the military, which up until then was a mainly masculine group.

World war II had almost the same thing: As the men fired their guns at other men, the women stayed home, but still worked for the military, working in factories to create guns and tanks etc. Both genders have an equally important role in any war, fictional or real.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 06:11:34 pm »
Maybe they stayed in home in the West (which was always a bit underdeveloped in the area of gender equal rights), but in the Russian sphere of influence, women were fighting in the military alongside men... Even my grandma joined the army, but Berlin fell before she finished her training :)