aliens

Author Topic: Inventory automatic reset  (Read 11661 times)

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Inventory automatic reset
« on: August 09, 2014, 10:09:46 pm »
As we know, OpenXcom does utilise a very useful automatic equipment of soldiers, and it remembers it for the next battle.

Rookies get killed. Rookies get promoted.

In the next battle, I will have new rookies and sargeants/squaddies, rookies will have equipment equipped automatically, squaddies/sargeants will have equipments equipped based on last battle. Sometimes, i may not want my improving squadders to perform the same roles as the new rookies will be doing....

As OpenXcom now has a rich mod community with a wide range of weaponry choices, my choices are spolit. However, I feel, sometimes, it would be handy to literally make the game forget its equipment saved settings, and equip them all in one go automatically without remembering its previous equipment set up? Maybe there could be a button for this in the inventory screen?

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Inventory automatic reset
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:23:17 pm »
in the nightly there is a template system that makes "forgetting" into one click per soldier

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 09:51:41 pm »
I take it that it has not been incorporated yet? Or am i missing something?

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:07:23 pm »
1.0 is 1.0
there will be a 1.X or 2.0 some day if you want the newest stuff use the nightly

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:13:49 pm »
I am using the latest nightly (8th August 01.35), which is why i am a bit baffled.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2014, 10:46:23 pm »
Thanks for the link.

Its a shame that it is now limited to "Create Template" and "Apply Inventory Template", and "Scroll Right".

Would be handy if they left in a button to include a "Forget" button, so OpenXcom can pre-fill it automatically on its own without remembering thee previous inventory equipped in the past battle. I tend to have different weapons for two or three soldiers at a time.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 11:59:10 pm »
that is an interesting idea -- an 'autoequip' function for an individual soldier based on what's on the ground.  I don't think there's any more room in the UI for buttons, but I bet we could do that as a hotkey

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 12:02:04 am »
that is an interesting idea -- an 'autoequip' function for an individual soldier based on what's on the ground.  I don't think there's any more room in the UI for buttons, but I bet we could do that as a hotkey

+1, for the sheer awesome factor.

"Choose your weapon now!"

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 11:48:47 am »
Definitely a good idea! I'm normally not using the autoequip, as it messes up my loadouts, but then again, there often are times when I don't really feel like equipping that n-th soldier from zero.

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 08:34:58 pm »
Especially when you have 10 or more soldiers! A hotkey would be good if there is no space for it on screen

niculinux

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 08:10:51 pm »
+1, for the sheer awesome factor.

"Choose your weapon now!"

+1

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 10:07:19 pm »
quick question - in general do you equip many units with the same loadout?  That is, in general, would it be more efficient to use the current template copy/paste or the new proposed ground-based autoequip?  I think having both is still a good idea, but I also want to make sure the template copy/paste is "discoverable" and easy to use.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2014, 11:42:59 pm »
I usually have a a few sets of equipment, based on the soldier's stats. (I love that openxcom lets you reorder your soldiers so you get the right ones out first, btw!). They might vary a little bit, but, for example, all my scouts will carry the basic scout set (main weapon, few flares, grenade), then variations as strength/supplies allows (SSRL, medikits). Same thing for all other groups.

I think a "autoequip" would be good for those new additions that you haven't looked at and just need to grab a weapon. However, a "basic soldier" template would work equally well if not better.

Talking about the templates.. that's something in the nightly builds, right?

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 12:46:02 am »
Create your own template is already in the latest nightly build.

I often have four soldiers equipped with rifles, four with snipers, one with rockets, two with shotguns, and the remainder would depends on my soldiers stats ie carry med kits and surplus grenades etc. It all depends on the mission and the circumstances etc! I feel it is less tactical when I just simply use all soldiers with one loadout