aliens

Author Topic: Any way to disable Psi for both aliens and X-com?  (Read 7178 times)

Offline CaptainMagicono

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Any way to disable Psi for both aliens and X-com?
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:00:05 am »
I have recently been watching a lets play of TFTD and the player had disabled Psi abilities entirely with XcomUtil. While many may not agree with this action, I do

agree that after a point Psi actually takes away from the fun and tactics of the game. I am wondering if there is a way to disable Psi in this way with Openxcom?

Thanks.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to disable Psi for both aliens and X-com?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 05:27:45 pm »
OpenXCom comes included with most of XComUtil's funcionalities, including no Psionics. To enable it go to game options on the start menu and it is listed under Mods.

Offline CaptainMagicono

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 05:44:59 pm »
OpenXCom comes included with most of XComUtil's funcionalities, including no Psionics. To enable it go to game options on the start menu and it is listed under Mods.

Thanks, I was using version 0.9 and not 1.0 when I was looking.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 11:40:05 pm »
Or you can enable the mod where psi only works at sight range (like weapons), which means it's not used much and certainly not against your guys who are hidden from the enemy. Also no more hiding in the Skyranger with a Psi-Amp and controlling everything that moves. This keeps the psi in the game but eliminates most problems associated with it.

Offline CaptainMagicono

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 11:55:05 pm »
Not a bad idea actually, I did enjoy Psi to an extent but it does get a little silly once you feel obligated to just camp in the Skyranger playing mind games with the aliens.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 01:08:20 am »
Not a bad idea actually, I did enjoy Psi to an extent but it does get a little silly once you feel obligated to just camp in the Skyranger playing mind games with the aliens.

I never manufacture Psi Amps but I'll screen the soldiers for high Psi. To me makes the end game more challenging.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 02:28:17 am »
I never manufacture Psi Amps but I'll screen the soldiers for high Psi. To me makes the end game more challenging.

Same, although I would like a mod where failing a Psi attack will cause damage and/or morale loss to person doing psi attack.

Offline richardhead

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 08:04:09 am »
I never liked the MC at all, as a game element.  It's just not fun.

Offline Dakkdakk

• Colonel
  • Dirty, dangerous, and kinda sexy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 05:44:14 pm »
I also find that enabling the mod that makes psi need line of sight actualy really does remove the worst aspects of it from the game, though I still feel vanilla xcom makes it way too easy to create squads of psi super soldiers that can rival ethereals with enough effort put into them. If it was harder to get yourself a super psi soldier, then things would be better, even if it requires no line of sight. Mods that make psi do more stuff than just MC and fear effects, like being used in certain weapons, also help quite a bit.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 01:01:50 am »
though I still feel vanilla xcom makes it way too easy to create squads of psi super soldiers that can rival ethereals with enough effort put into them.
The reason for this is that X-Com soldiers can start with higher psi strength than ethereal commanders, and can train their psi skill higher as well. The vanilla ethereal commander has 65-75 psi strength and 50-58 psi skill. A psi skill of 50 is about what it takes to mind control an opponent with psi strength equal to your own. X-Com soldiers can be cheaply screened to all have 90+ psi strength and thus be able to mind control ethereal commanders with as little as 30 psi skill. Some soldiers come out of their first round of psi training already able to mind control ethereal commanders.

The way to nerf psionics for X-Com and require larger amounts of training to perfect it is to reduce maximum psi strength in soldiers. On the other hand, if you reduce maximum psi skill but leave psi strength maximum at 100, maximum psi power is reduced but the rapid training remains the same.

Another way to make it harder to mind control aliens without changing their own psi power is to raise their psi strength and lower their psi skill accordingly. For example: multiply their psi strength values by 1.5 and then divide their psi skill values by 1.5. The combined increase to psi strength and reduction to psi skill makes their psionic power exactly the same as before.

If you raise the minimum psi strength of X-Com soldiers, you reduce the amount of "sponge-brains" in the squad and thus reduce the aliens' success rate with psionics, especially when the psionic attacks are coming from weak aliens such as ethereal soldiers.

I've done some testing with different values. Here I'll give a number for soldier maximum psi strength and skill, and a description of how it plays out with vanilla aliens (assuming all soldiers in your squad have max or near max psi strength):
100/100: all aliens easy to mind control from the far end of the map; your soldiers basically immune to psi attacks
90/90: all aliens easy to mind control, but the most difficult ones you need not be too far away from; your soldiers nearly immune to psi attacks
80/80: all aliens can be mind controlled but the hardest ones may take several tries; your soldiers slightly vulnerable to psi attacks from ethereal commanders
70/70: all aliens can be mind controlled but the hardest ones have a very low success chance even up close; your soldiers vulnerable to ethereal commanders
60/60: most aliens can be controlled but training is very important, and psi attacks are pretty useless on only the first month of training; your soldiers slightly vulnerable to ethereal leaders
50/50: many aliens can be controlled but it takes high training, and minimizing range to target is important; your soldiers are vulnerable to ethereal leaders and slightly vulnerable to sectoid leaders
40/40: easy aliens can be controlled reliably at close range with max training; your soldiers are vulnerable to sectoid leaders and slightly vulnerable to ethereal soldiers
30/30: with perfect training, easy aliens can be controlled but not reliably; your soldiers are vulnerable to the weakest psionic attacks: from ethereal soldiers
20/20: some soldiers come out of training on the first month with max psi skill; few aliens can be controlled at all and none easily; all of your soldiers are sponge-brains