aliens

Author Topic: [Weapon][Armor]Equal Terms Mod v1.0 for OpenXcom  (Read 61541 times)

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
  • Never let me down again.
    • View Profile
    • Mod Hub for Equal Terms 2.0
[Weapon][Armor]Equal Terms Mod v1.0 for OpenXcom
« on: July 24, 2014, 05:59:51 am »
--= Equal Terms (1.0) Modification for Open-X-Com =--
By KingMob4313 and Ickschuss. Created for X-Com: Ufo Defense May 2000.
Last updated October 2015.

Please See Version 2.0 for expanded gameplay that applies the Equal Terms concept over all 3 tiers of weaponry!

Current Version: 1.03 [FINAL]

Link to Github files for the mod: https://github.com/KingMob4313/Equal-Terms-Mods/tree/master/v1.0

Installation: unzip the package to your OpenXcom directory and answer yes to the overwrites (if needed).

NOTE: THIS MOD SUPPRESSES THE NORMAL HUMAN WEAPONS FROM BEING AVAILABLE AND ADDS THE NEW VERSIONS TO THE GAME.

Concept:

The purpose of this modification is give players starting weapons with real life equivalents, ie: weapons UN forces would be using against these UFO attacks.  The starting human weapons have been replaced with the following: a 5.7mm machine pistol, a 6.8mm Assault Rifle, a Squad Automatic Weapon, and a .50 calibre Anti-Materiel Sniper rifle. There are also new additions of a pump combat shogun, a 9mm submachine gun, a .454 magnum revolver, a 7.62x51mm designated marksman's rifle, a single shot rocket launcher and an incendiary grenade that can be purchased, like all the human weapons and an alloy shogun to be researched later.

There are also two different armors that can be purchased, based on current armor technology.

This patch also increases some explosive damages and tweaks the other weapon damages, accuracies and fire rates for the other weapons to create some sort of game balance. In general, autofire will be much less accurate than before, making aimed and snap shots much more favourable.

This mod requires the range based accuracy mod from UFOextender enabled for proper balance.

-= Change Summary =-
1) Role Based Weaponry: Weapons now favor the roles they are used in combat. For doing entries on a UFO or building, shoguns, SMG and pistols are much more capable weapons than assault and sniper rifles.  In fact, some weapons are inherently more inaccurate at close ranges than medium ranges. At the same time, many weapons suitable for use in entries lack long range capabilities.

2) Weapon Types: Powder weapons fire the most shots in auto and most snap shots of all the weapon damage types.  Lasers have the best accuracy in autofire, at expense of their accuracy in aimed shots. Plasma weapons do the most damage.

3) Autofire is much less accurate than in the base game.  Each weapon firing mode has it's advantages depending on the weapon's role and type. Making single aimed shots with the SAW or snap shots with the Sniper Rifle are not as efficient as using those weapons as they are intended.

Changelog:
-= Current Version =-

Version 1.03
 - Fixed *nix compatibility issue with file pathing case sensitivity

Contributions:
French translation by Infini

Machine Pistol, Magnum, SMG, Assault Rifle, Small Rocket, Incendiary Grenade, APFSDS Rocket
Yaml Code, Sprites and Sounds: KingMob4313

Shotgun
Sprites: Ryskeliini & Warboy1982
Yaml Code: Ryskeliini, Warboy1982 & KingMob4313

Sniper Rifle
Sprites: Toshiaki2115, Warboy1982 & KingMob4313
Yaml Code: Warboy1982 & KingMob4313
Sounds: KingMob4313

Designated Marksman's Rifle (Marksmans Rifle)
Sprites: Chiko & KingMob4313
Yaml Code & Sounds: KingMob4313

SSRL
Sprites: Ryskeliini & KingMob4313
Yaml Code & Sounds: KingMob4313

Armor:
Sprites: Warboy1982 & Fox105iwsp & KingMob4313
Yaml Code: KingMob4313 & Fox105iwsp

Yaml reorganization: yrizoud (version 0.86)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:26:52 pm by KingMob4313 »

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Weapon][Armor]Equal Terms Mod v1.0 for OpenXcom
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 06:05:58 am »
Since this is the 1.0 version, I have no new features lined up for this version.  Only bug fixes, small adjustments and maybe new camo patterns are planned for this version

I already have a 2.0 version planned out, with the following changes to be done:

Code: [Select]
Future plans:
 ■ projected  + likely  * problematic and complex
Version 1.8  - Oct 2014
 ■ add another step into alloys research tree: Alloy Manufacturing (Dependency: Alloys)
 ■ Alloy research allows for Alloy Reinforced Armor
 ■ add alloy ammo types for powder weapons, adjusting normal ammo's damage down towards standard, and current values will be for the alloy rounds (Requires: Alloy manufacturing + Any autopsy unlocks Alloy rounds)
 ■ adjust explosive damages back down to standard
     ■ create alloy rockets/grenades with higher damages
     ■ create human elerium high explosives and rockets
 ■ add/replace body armors
     ■ Improved Light Armor: P: 24 AP: 65% HE: 75% PL: 95% (Dependency: Alloy manufacturing - Consumes 1 light armor and 2 alloys )
     ■ Improved Tactical Armor P: 28 AP: 55% HE: 60% PL: 90% (Dependency: Alloy manufacturing - Consumes 1 tactical armor and 3 alloys)
     ■ adjust game armors
         ■ Personal Armour (Original Stats P: 50) P: 34 PL: 80% HE: 60% AP: 55%
         ■ Heavy Personal Armor: P: 46 AP:50% PL:75% Requires 6 alloys
         ■ Power Armor (Original Stats P: 100) P: 60 AP: 45% HE: 50% PL: 65% now requires 7 alloys
         ■ Scout Power Armor P: 60 AP: 45% HE: 50% PL: 65%  now requires 6 alloys
         ■ Flying Armor P: 60 AP: 45% HE: 50% PL: 65% requires 7 alloys
     ■ adjust damage resistance and armor for aliens to match new paradigm - More resistance, less armor.
 ■ shift laser weapons to require alloy research (Dependency: Alloy manufacturing)
 ■ shift plasma weapon research to require alien power supply research first (Dependency UFO power Supply + Alloy manufacturing)

Version 1.9:
 ■ Alloy Manufacturing allows for creation of alloy crafted interceptor
 ■ add DMR, SMG and SAW/LMG versions of laser and plasma rifle. Will require the proper technology sniper rifle and rifle both to be researched
     ■ shift laser pistol lose autofire and gain damage
     + change so that Heavy Plasma and Plasma pistols cannot be manufactured by humans.
         + clips for those weapons, along with the DMR, SMG and SAW/LMG versions will be able to be manufactured, along with a new Plasma Magnum to differentiate with alien plasma pistol.
         + X-Com can still use the Plasma Pistol and Heavy Plasma captured and returned from the battlescape, but just can't manufacture them.
- The heavy plasma and plasma pistols will be slightly better than previous versions of this mod
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:13:23 am by KingMob4313 »

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:11:51 am »
This seems to be backed by a lot of reasearch and fine tuning, I'm hoping to try it out as soon as possible.

Triple Kudos!

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 08:13:59 pm »
This seems to be backed by a lot of reasearch and fine tuning, I'm hoping to try it out as soon as possible.

Triple Kudos!

Cheers. Let me know what you think.  There's going to be a small updates as I find small bugs, but I'm already in planning for a modularized 2.0.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 05:46:59 am »
New small update:

Version 1.01

Changelog:
-= Current Version =-
Version 1.01 - August 2014 (Hotfix!)
 - Added omitted assault rifle handob
 - fixed description of Machine Pistol (18 rounds)
 - fixed description of small radar (detection rate)
 - fixed description of large radar (detection rate)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:56:53 pm »
While I don't have the time and resources to try it right now, I am a great enthusiast of such mods. Thanks for the effort! :)

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 10:07:18 pm »
While I don't have the time and resources to try it right now, I am a great enthusiast of such mods. Thanks for the effort! :)

Much appreciated, especially coming from you.

niculinux

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 12:44:43 pm »

Absolutely!

Also, KingMob4313, you could use the the machine pistol from Men in Black mod one, and rename the actual one in your mod  "assault pistil" or something. Thet mp from MiB then may have some stat that fit in the middle between  machine pistol and submachine gun, both of yours  ;)

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 02:35:34 am »
I just started a Genius Game and am now in February, with laser rifle available....some first impresisons:

I just LOVED the (damn few) first missions with your conventional weapons, makes balancing a squad easy-peasy and gives (even more) depth to the gameplay, thou lasers still dominate once on the scene....but not as much as before! the sniper rifle packs a decent punch and is NOT moveable, a REAL sniper rifle, and i LOVE the marksman's version as well.

I somewhat miss the HE rounds of my Heavycannon.....but SAW and the plethora of automated small arms compensate VERY VERY well.

I haven't digged enuff the shotgun but....I guess it's playstyle...there are a ton of options now so the shotguns seem heavy.

I am unsure about grenades and incendiaries being lighter than the smoke one....is this intentional?

I think I saw lasers LESS accurate at short range compared to powder weapons, specifically in autofire...is this intentional? also the Laser rifle has more accuracy in auto than in snap (+5%) which actually makes little sense.

BTW, I have you mod AND the alien armour expanded installed, is there any clash between these?

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 04:52:32 am »
I just started a Genius Game and am now in February, with laser rifle available....some first impresisons:

I just LOVED the (damn few) first missions with your conventional weapons, makes balancing a squad easy-peasy and gives (even more) depth to the gameplay, thou lasers still dominate once on the scene....but not as much as before! the sniper rifle packs a decent punch and is NOT moveable, a REAL sniper rifle, and i LOVE the marksman's version as well.

Excellent.  Unfortunately, the new version is going to nerf the weapons damage back in line with the classical game, and the current damage will be for alloy rounds, but I may make two versions, one with the enhanced damage.

I somewhat miss the HE rounds of my Heavycannon.....but SAW and the plethora of automated small arms compensate VERY VERY well.

I haven't digged enuff the shotgun but....I guess it's playstyle...there are a ton of options now so the shotguns seem heavy.

Yeah, taking away HE does take something away from the game, unfortunately, but I'm more just putting it into a more classical squad arms perspective.

I am unsure about grenades and incendiaries being lighter than the smoke one....is this intentional?

Nope!  I'll have to tidy that up before version 2.0

I think I saw lasers LESS accurate at short range compared to powder weapons, specifically in autofire...is this intentional? also the Laser rifle has more accuracy in auto than in snap (+5%) which actually makes little sense.

Actually, the conceit behind the laser weapons is that they are somewhat inaccurate in aimed and snap, but without the recoil you'd find from the gunpowder and plasma weapons, autofire would be more accurate than those two.  Also, unlike the other weapons, the accuracy drop is much less for laser weapons when you are running 'range based accuracy' which I suggest.

BTW, I have you mod AND the alien armour expanded installed, is there any clash between these?

Not that I know of, but I'll investigate a bit further

Thanks for all the feedback and I'm glad you're enjoying the mod.

Offline pkrcel

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 11:26:46 am »
Excellent.  Unfortunately, the new version is going to nerf the weapons damage back in line with the classical game, and the current damage will be for alloy rounds, but I may make two versions, one with the enhanced damage.

By all means reduce that damage and have it upped with alloy ammo, it makes a lot of sense and I like the idea a lot.

Also the introduction of the single use rocket compensates the loss of the HeavyCannon.

Actually, the conceit behind the laser weapons is that they are somewhat inaccurate in aimed and snap, but without the recoil you'd find from the gunpowder and plasma weapons, autofire would be more accurate than those two.  Also, unlike the other weapons, the accuracy drop is much less for laser weapons when you are running 'range based accuracy' which I suggest.

I noticed that the laser weapons are more accurate at long range (I use the range based accuracy of course), and that's perfectly fine, the laser beam is impervious to any environmental effect and thus retains some sort of "infinite range" ...makes sense, it's plausible and FUN...makes me ponder if the squaddie neeeds a SAW or a Rifle or an Uzi.

On the other hand, I can't dig a lot the idea that autofire is MORE accurate than a single snapshot, no recoil means that either you pull a single trigger or hold it, accuracy should be "basically" tha SAME, can't really be better (I think the SAW works like this)

It actually already IS better since you're firing more shots in the (almost) same timeframe, pushing this limit even further it's a bit unfair to the weapon. I mean this in mechanical terms, the way hit probability works in game....not a real life comparison, I am no weapons expert by any means.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 06:23:39 pm »
Autofire>snap could only be defended if the autofire is considered "aimed auto fire", and, game-wise, costs considerably more TUs than snap shot; otherwise the snapshot becomes a dead option.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 08:43:27 pm »
Sometimes it's not about every shot being a valuable option to the player. Snap shot has the huge advantage of being the only shot that can be reaction fired. Maybe you won't use it because auto-fire is the better option, but your soldiers are probably grateful to have it any ways.

A lower accuracy snap-fire weapon could represent a burdensome weapon with high RoF. It's hard to readjust your aim to react to something unexpected (reaction snap shot is not so good), but if you can find the target and have time to setup, you can fire an accurate burst at it.

I had a similar issue with my scatter laser, an auto-shot only, high RoF weapon. My breachers (high reaction agents who clear UFOs) ended up never reaction firing and it was rather terrible. I added a (not really appealing during your turn) option for snap fire (1/3 the cost, 1 shot instead of 5, slightly higher accuracy) and it made a big difference in the usefulness of the weapon, even though I barely ever used the shot myself.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 01:06:13 am »
Sometimes it's not about every shot being a valuable option to the player. Snap shot has the huge advantage of being the only shot that can be reaction fired. Maybe you won't use it because auto-fire is the better option, but your soldiers are probably grateful to have it any ways.

A lower accuracy snap-fire weapon could represent a burdensome weapon with high RoF. It's hard to readjust your aim to react to something unexpected (reaction snap shot is not so good), but if you can find the target and have time to setup, you can fire an accurate burst at it.

I had a similar issue with my scatter laser, an auto-shot only, high RoF weapon. My breachers (high reaction agents who clear UFOs) ended up never reaction firing and it was rather terrible. I added a (not really appealing during your turn) option for snap fire (1/3 the cost, 1 shot instead of 5, slightly higher accuracy) and it made a big difference in the usefulness of the weapon, even though I barely ever used the shot myself.

This is part of the rationale, but it's an oversight.  Snap shot should be a little bit better than autofire, in this case, since in ET, the laser weapons have high autofire accuracy at the expense of other modes.

Now, the only one that has this issue is the pistol.  The rifle has some differentiation via the range based accuracy (but I may have missed the mark).

I will be making a few more adjustments to make things differentiate.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 06:12:01 am »
My current worksheet for Wolfram Lance

Recoil is standing in for explosion radius for explosives. Recoil isn't a valid stat for the guns yet either. ⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 06:40:16 am by KingMob4313 »