aliens

Author Topic: Weapon Rework/Expansion - Version 0.8  (Read 57996 times)

Offline worlom

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Rework/Expansion - Version 0.8
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2015, 12:18:56 pm »
Crashes on terror missions.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2015, 01:24:52 pm »
Crashes on terror missions.

Are you using any other mods, for example Hobbes' Terrain Pack?

Offline worlom

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2015, 01:30:07 pm »
Actually installing Terrain Pack solved this, at least for now.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2015, 01:47:41 pm »
Actually installing Terrain Pack solved this, at least for now.

O_o

Well... Good for you. :)

It makes sense, actually. By adding new terrains, you've reset the landing terrain type, so the game chose a different terrain and therefore allowed you to start the mission.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2015, 03:29:09 pm »
To make it stop crashing when using the Terrain Pack, you need to go into the .rul for the Terrain Pack and delete section for port attacks.  Once you do that it'll work again.  I have the port attack thing in my .rul and they're conflicting.  Also, update to the latest version of the Terrain Pack Nightly.

Wait, are you getting crashing when NOT using the Terrain Pack?  That's a problem I should look into...

EDIT:  Found and fixed the problem, there was some junk code left over from a previous experiment.  Sorry about that.  Delete the old version and install the new one.  Should work without Terrain Pack just fine now.

*IMPORTANT*
THIS MOD IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OTHER MODS THAT CHANGE THE ALIEN DEPLOYMENTS!
*IMPORTANT*

Compatibility:
Hobbes Terrain Pack 3.7

Sprite Credit to Dioxine (Plasma Sniper Rifle and Alt Shotgun 4) and Bloax (Alt Plasma Shotguns 2, 3, and 5!)

You can click here for the mod if you wanna play it.

Change Log:
0.41:
- Fixed Terror Mission Crash
- Updated to work with Terrain Pack 3.7
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:31:25 pm by chaosshade »

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2015, 08:41:24 pm »
Thanks for the mod.  Some interesting changes.  I wonder if some of the starting Xcom weapons are too powerful, though.  The shotgun seems very good, and at 50x5 damage vs 25x6 damage in another Shotgun mod maybe it's too good.  But, the Grenade Launcher using canister (AP) at 55x20 just seems insane.  2 shots from that took down a Cyberdisc and those are supposed to be resistant to AP damage (I think).  Took down 2 Reapers each with a single hit as well.  Just seems a little unfair to have that powerful of an area attack without worrying about blowing up all the alien artifacts and corpses.

'Course, you can still have collateral damage.  Had a weird thing happen with that.  A civilian was too close to one of those reapers and so went down with it.  However, at the end of the mission, I was not penalized for killing a civilian.  However, the Extended Commendations mod which I was running as well... showed that the soldier had killed the civilian, so I don't know why I wasn't penalized for it.  Don't know if your mod might be causing that or if it's something with Extended.

After 1 month, I still haven't gotten to any Flash weapons let alone any of the alien weapons.  So many different ones, though, I'm hoping it's not overwhelming.

Thanks.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2015, 05:47:33 pm »
You don't have Flash Weapons yet?  They should be available from the start and research fairly fast.  It's possible there might be a typo in there somewhere, so I'll look at it.  Wouldn't exactly be unusual for it to be screwed up based on my previous track record, lol.  I know the GL's AP canister is really OP.  I meant to fix that in this version but it seems to have slipped through my fingers this time.  Oh well.  I'll look at the balance for it in the next version and adjust it accordingly.  I know the shotgun is kinda strong, but based upon the fact that it's fairly short range I feel that it's balanced.

EDIT:  Okay, I just looked at the code and Flash Weapons have their research set too high.  I'm sorry you have to put up w/ it.  I'll 100% sure to fix it in the next version, no hotfix for this one unfortunately since it's not causing the game to crash.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:04:44 pm by chaosshade »

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2015, 02:43:21 am »
Cool.  No worries.  It is version .4 after all.  8)

I was curious but wasn't really hurting for upgraded weapons with a few of those grenade launchers around.  Will look forward to the next version.  Thanks.

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2015, 07:08:57 pm »
So in fiddling with my code and playing with Hobbes' a little bit, I realized that I need to release two versions of this every time I update it, one as a stand-alone and one that's compatible with Terrain Pack Nightly.  I do have two working versions of it but I'll note it here so that it's easier to understand.

*IMPORTANT*
THIS MOD IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OTHER MODS THAT CHANGE THE ALIEN DEPLOYMENTS!
*IMPORTANT*

Compatibility:
Hobbes Terrain Pack 3.7 - Version 0.4

Warning: Version 0.4 WILL CRASH if used without Hobbes Terrain Pack 3.7!

Version 0.41 is the stand-alone version.  Use that if you do not want to use Hobbes Terrain Pack 3.7!

niculinux

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2015, 11:52:31 pm »
Comgratulation, very cool sprites!

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2015, 03:38:05 am »
I didn't make most of them, but yeah, I think they're pretty cool.  I can really only take credit for the Heavy Plasma and the Plasma Shotgun.  Look at earlier posts in the thread to see who made the others.

niculinux

« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2015, 11:15:11 pm »
Interesting! Fine weapons, plus some interesting resourched in tnis thread. The latters really deserve to be used in itjer mod(s). Returning to the mod, it work on 1.0 and/or nightly? Soemone may test it in linux, please?

Edit: some of these really deserve to be included in thd final mod pack!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:23:14 pm by niculinux »

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2015, 11:57:53 pm »
It works with both nightlies and 1.0, you just have to install it in a different way if you're using 1.0.  The 0.41 version is the standalone (as noted in a previous post!)  It's good that you're enjoying this mod.  I thought it was a blast when I first found it and did a lot of work to fix a lot of things in it that were either broken or unbalanced.  No idea if it works with linux, I imagine it would though.

niculinux

« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2015, 09:30:36 am »
It works with both nightlies and 1.0, you just have to install it in a different way if you're using 1.0.  The 0.41 version is the standalone (as noted in a previous post!)  It's good that you're enjoying this mod.  I thought it was a blast when I first found it and did a lot of work to fix a lot of things in it that were either broken or unbalanced.  No idea if it works with linux, I imagine it would though.

Thank you but actually i did not try it O_o only watched screenshots on the mod page and browse this thread, don't know if it will work on linux, but may give a try in the future, if you're interested in modding in linux please read here. ;)

Offline chaosshade

• Colonel
  • The Harpy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2016, 07:41:16 pm »
Hello everyone!  The long-awaited jump to 1.0 is finally here!  It took me too bloody long to get it done, but I had to learn a lot of code first and get prototype versions of everything working.  Unfortunately with this version I had to make a couple of sacrifices, so Terrain Pack 3.7 is no longer compatible with this version.  I have, however, added a really neat feature that makes progression through the weapons far more rewarding (I'll detail everything in the change log!)  I hope the people who use this mod enjoy the new stuff included with it!

!WARNING!
THIS MOD IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY MOD THAT CHANGES THE ALIEN DEPLOYMENTS!
THIS MOD IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH OPENXCOM VERSION 1.0!
THIS MOD IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH TERRAIN PACK 3.7!
!WARNING!

Change Log:
- Regular Pistol restored (new sprites by nadir)
- Pistol has auto shot ability!
- New Item:  "Heavy Pistol"; more powerful but less ammo
- Original Assault Rifle sprites restored
- Assault Rifle damage has been boosted
- DMR has a new sprite
- DMR Snap/Aimed Shots rebalanced, auto shot removed
- Combat Shotgun has new sprites!
- Combat Shotgun has been rebalanced!
- Improved Heavy Machine Gun Sprite
- GL AP Canister removed (sorry guys!) replaced with GL SM Rounds
- Projector Weapons have been rebalanced across the board
- Flechette Weapons have been rebalanced across the board
- Thermal Weapons have been rebalanced across the board
- New Item:  Alien Data Slates; makes acquiring alien weapons more challenging!

MAJOR UPDATE!
So the largest change since version 0.4 is the addition of racial weapon sets.  What does this mean?  Each race has been given a size profile and has weapons that correspond to their size profile.  For example, Sectoids have a small size profile and therefore cannot use medium or large weapons; they have a weapon set entirely unique to them.  I'm sure you'll work out the size profiles as you play.

Regarding the Alien Data Slates, I was tired of it being "too fast" to research the alien weapons, so now you have to do alien bases in order to unlock them.  I'm not telling which aliens have which data slates, that's for you to find out!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 02:24:07 am by chaosshade »