aliens

Author Topic: Laser Reskin Mod  (Read 15036 times)

Offline Tentaculat Soup

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Laser Reskin Mod
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:25:07 pm »
So, yeah, it's in the modpage.  Totally awesome.  Took them non-matching laser guns and set them straight!  Now they all look like they're related to that dashing laser rifle, who is, you will agree, both handsome and sleek.

You'll find it here:  https://www.openxcom.com/mod/laser-reskin 
Assuming the site will let you download them, of course. 

Description:

This is a reskin of the laser pistol and the heavy laser to make them look a little more like the very distinctive laser rifle. None of the weapons' stats are affected. The new graphics make the laser weapons look less like military hardware and more science fiction.

Installation Instructions:

Open the zip file and find the files 'resources' and 'ruleset'.  Copy and paste them into your data folder.  Merge files, nothing will get overwritten.  (Well, unless you have a ruleset called 'Laser_Reskin' already.)

Edit:  The file's also attached here, so enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 07:19:59 pm by Tentaculat Soup »

niculinux

Re: Laser Reskin Mod
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 09:03:46 pm »
Thanks, finally. Please may we get in an hypothetic updated version:

1) new colors

2) new laser rifle, stiil looks like a toothpastu tube, never ston then, either now >.< what the hell they were thinking zt microprose in the 90? Well i think this may be the only mistake from then regarding the game.

Peace and love!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 08:12:59 pm by niculinux »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:30:07 am »
These are some very interesting designs. I've tried to see if I could get a smoother pixel detail:

Offline Arcalane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:25:35 am »
Nice, but looks a bit too... ray-gun-y and out of place, to me? Basing the design aesthetics off the Pistol or Heavy might work better.

Offline ibanix

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 06:18:14 am »
That's my feeling as well. Great work here, but not personally the flavor I'd use in my games.

niculinux

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:28:20 am »
Dear Tentaculat Soup

I made a slight modded version of [WEAPON] Clips fo laser weapons mod to use in conjunction with your mod, but unfortunately due to my pooor skills the result is obscene, would you apply the proper palette to them? if so please check the former mod link. Thanks!!

Edit: grammar obscenity fixes  :o
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:57:16 pm by niculinux »

Offline TurkishSwede

• Captain
  • Thou art God!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 12:57:33 am »
Well, let me be the first to say I love the look of these weapons and agree with you 100% about how cool looking the vanilla laser rifle is. I was hoping for a mod like this. XCom is very Sci-Fi to me (fighting aliens and such), and I've always hated the vanilla heavy laser and laser pistol because they didn't match that sleek laser rifle at all, or each other for that matter.

[/rant]I also think the vanilla laser pistol and plasma pistol sprites got accidentally switched in development without anyone noticing. The plasma pistol is the one with the neat looking red triangle on it! That should've been the laser pistol, I think. The vanilla one looks alien and more plasma-y to me. And, gah! the lame khaki color of the vanilla heavy laser. Looks like a kid made it out of cardboard, and it shoots about as well too.[/endRant]

One thing I'd like to see is a different color shot for each weapon. There's a thread somewhere about recolored laser fire, and to heck with the lame (yet funny) yellow laser. I'd want the pistol to shoot green, the rifle to shoot blue and the heavy to shoot purple (to account for the shorter wavelengths of the more powerful lasers). I might try to figure out how to do that...

Also, you should put [WEAPON] [GRAPHICS] or something like that at the beginning of this thread title for convenience and stuff.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:04:06 am by TurkishSwede »

Offline Qpoter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 06:52:51 am »
These kind of remind me of the Fallout laser guns.

Offline animal310

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 06:37:55 pm »
Tried to download this mod but have been unable. A page appears stating that is disabled!

edit: But I see its attached to the thread! Doh! Downloaded now!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:22:00 pm by animal310 »

niculinux

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 01:56:01 pm »
May this mod eventually be integrated into openxcom extended? Finally, something that make  more cool and watchable laser weapons!!

niculinux

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 05:57:20 pm »
In the meantime, just suggested to incorporate the mod into others, such as Piratez  Extended and the upcomings   Mine G.M. , Ufo Redux and Battle for mars, lets see how far it goes ;)

Edit: typos

Edit 2 0: aded suggestion for ufo redux
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 06:05:41 pm by niculinux »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 07:25:43 pm »
In the meantime, just suggested to incorporate the mod into others, such as Piratez  Extended and the upcomings   Mine G.M. , Ufo Redux and Battle for mars, lets see how far it goes ;)

Edit: typos

Edit 2 0: aded suggestion for ufo redux

You did not suggest it to me. :P

niculinux

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 09:48:54 pm »
Seems it does not have consent...gggrrrrrr bu why? Such fine and cool guns....nobody wants to use them...whyy!?!?! :, (

You did not suggest it to me. :P

Ah, please hellrazorr, what is your mod? Whatever it is, please use them!!!! :/

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 11:05:48 am »
Seems it does not have consent...gggrrrrrr bu why? Such fine and cool guns....nobody wants to use them...whyy!?!?! :, (

Ah, please hellrazorr, what is your mod? Whatever it is, please use them!!!! :/

Na i was just kidding i use the matching weapon stuff from tollworkout, i like it more.

No offense to the Author of this mod.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 02:32:37 pm »
May this mod eventually be integrated into openxcom extended? Finally, something that make  more cool and watchable laser weapons!!

How can it be integrated into OpenXCom Extended? Do you have any idea on what OXCE is in the first place?