Author Topic: Real World Weapons  (Read 11301 times)

Offline bullitmagnet

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Real World Weapons
« on: June 28, 2014, 12:24:51 am »
I was thinking that it would be nice to have the weapons changed to real world weapons from each nation that is involved in the funding screen. Be awesome to have a load out with brits holding l85a2's and americans using m4's or something similar.

I know that it dosent really fit into the xcom universe in some respects but it would me the game a little enjoyable to me. also changing the player sprites to look like they are wearing military uniforms, its always bugged me that this military organisation wear jump suits. just pure graphical stuff but would be nice.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
  • Never let me down again.
    • View Profile
    • Mod Hub for Equal Terms 2.0
Re: Real World Weapons
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 01:32:51 am »
That would require code changes in order to implement, and a ton of weapons which are all not that much different from each other (at least in the stats we can affect currently).

Still, I love the idea. 

Offline AlienMuncher

• Sergeant
  • Aliens happen...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 01:36:05 am »
Might have been easier to mod Jagged Alliance info UFO EU. :)

Offline bullitmagnet

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 02:03:12 am »
so you're saying adding in extra weapons would be hard to do? Thought it would be simple (for you modding geniuses LOL) to add some new sprites and such.... i mean to increase the ammount of starting weapons

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 02:10:45 am »

Yeah, I've done JA2 mods... So..

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 02:40:29 am »

+1! :)

so you're saying adding in extra weapons would be hard to do? Thought it would be simple (for you modding geniuses LOL) to add some new sprites and such.... i mean to increase the ammount of starting weapons

It's not hard, it's just really much work. And for what, ten times longer equipment lists, with no change in gameplay? I don't think many people would like this, and certainly not me.

It would have a bit more sense if there were other ground forces in the game, something like armed civilians (like regular soldiers in your missions) - they could haver all sorts of wacky guns. X-Com however uses standardized equipment, and according to lore the best there is on the market, so giving them the option of buying Kalashnikovs and M-16s is a bit purposeless.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 03:19:01 am »
+1! :)

It's not hard, it's just really much work. And for what, ten times longer equipment lists, with no change in gameplay? I don't think many people would like this, and certainly not me.

It would have a bit more sense if there were other ground forces in the game, something like armed civilians (like regular soldiers in your missions) - they could haver all sorts of wacky guns. X-Com however uses standardized equipment, and according to lore the best there is on the market, so giving them the option of buying Kalashnikovs and M-16s is a bit purposeless.

Precisely the problem, though others have suggested that those weapons be added.  But the problem is that we'd be heading down the path of Jagged Alliance, which is fine by me, honestly, but would take some approved code base additions and new ruleset definitions to really pull off: adding recoil and a ready action, to start.

Offline bullitmagnet

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 06:40:55 pm »
bit more complicated than i thought then.... LOL

can someone at least make them LOOK like soldiers, those suits make them look like janitors or boiler repair men :D

Offline Sturm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 08:16:12 pm »
It doesn't make sense to add more weapons because they are already supposed to be the best thing available - rifles aren't ordinary rifles - they are sniper (probably more like designated marksman) rifles. Autocannon is completely out of this world, the same for Heavy cannon.

can someone at least make them LOOK like soldiers, those suits make them look like janitors or boiler repair men :D
You say it like it's a bad thing :D.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 08:18:53 pm »

I stick with the version that they're not soldiers, they're secret operatives (like the Men in Black, or your plain old FBI in deluxe version). That would explain how bad they are at combat initially. :)

Offline bullitmagnet

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 08:28:56 pm »
my theory on how bad they are is that they just aint trained in fighting aliens. The troops are pulled from the worlds armed services not just spec ops (i consider those that actually are some use to be spec ops LOL) so they aint gonna be great, i mean xcom is a militaristic organisation, sure its bent of defending the world and all that but they are soldiers (it says so in the purchase screen LOL) so i dont like the look of them being paintballers or anything, not that theres anything wrong with that but they dont strike me as soldiers in any repect from the look of them.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 08:42:42 pm »
my theory on how bad they are is that they just aint trained in fighting aliens.

This doesn't explain why they get a heart attack after running 100 m, or why they can't hit the broad side of the barn. :P

Offline AlienMuncher

• Sergeant
  • Aliens happen...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 08:47:55 pm »
This doesn't explain why they get a heart attack after running 100 m

They don't get heart attack. Right before they get one, their TU's are exhausted. ;)

Aaaanyway. All explanations work for me. I'm like Mulder. Believe in almost anything. :)

Offline bullitmagnet

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2014, 11:49:44 pm »
This doesn't explain why they get a heart attack after running 100 m, or why they can't hit the broad side of the barn. :P

Lol, i'm probably mean but i actually kinda enjoy it when the weak ones just die :D i mean the biggest problem is always starting the game. crap equipment crap soldiers ect, its just two hard sometimes. Last game i played while testing my recording software (hoping to do a series or two, plus mod shocases etc) i had ZERO ufos for four missions, not one. but i did have four terror missions starting with snakemen and getting worse. so that was a bitch and a half. I have known people to ignore the lasers, which i dont i like them as a base defense gun at the very least.

They don't get heart attack. Right before they get one, their TU's are exhausted. ;)

Aaaanyway. All explanations work for me. I'm like Mulder. Believe in almost anything. :)

I belive most things about the xcom universe, it's very well done for inserting your own ideas into it. Personally, I like the idea that it would unite the world together into a unified defese force. Cos then we would have every countries armed services at disposal. I seems wierd that its seperate bases and stuff but thats just me. :D i'm picky as all hell LOL

I even have squads, usually two 4 man squads with one seargent in each when i get them but thats just me. wish i could implement some of the cover system the new one has into this but i dont see that happening at all.

Offline Sturm

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 06:08:20 pm »
I stick with the version that they're not soldiers, they're secret operatives (like the Men in Black, or your plain old FBI in deluxe version). That would explain how bad they are at combat initially. :)
They are even called operatives in game. I wouldn't call them bad. They probably still get higher amount of hits per ammo used than RL soldiers, though.

This doesn't explain why they get a heart attack after running 100 m
I suspect it's just some gamist game design thing sneaking in.