Author Topic: 'Equal Terms' 1.0 Mod Discussion.  (Read 47866 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: 'Equal Terms' Mod Discussion.
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2014, 02:26:47 pm »
The positive: we'll be able to kill 3 Sectoids with 1 bullet.

The negative: unloading 10 laser shots at a barn wall will make 10 holes in the barn wall, but won't destroy it for easy access. :P

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2014, 04:32:58 pm »
Nonono, the talk is only about simple "AP" value that ignores some of the DT... at least for now... :)

[not to add extra stats, the power needed to calculate how much dmg is needed for the bullet to pierce an alien clear through can be drawn from the armor value of its corresponding battlecorpse]

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
  • Never let me down again.
    • View Profile
    • Mod Hub for Equal Terms 2.0
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2014, 11:27:38 pm »
Nonono, the talk is only about simple "AP" value that ignores some of the DT... at least for now... :)

[not to add extra stats, the power needed to calculate how much dmg is needed for the bullet to pierce an alien clear through can be drawn from the armor value of its corresponding battlecorpse]

I've had a thought about shots penetrating objects, but haven't gotten that far.

Right now we're only talking about a stat that reduces armor protection (Damage - (((armor - penetration value < 1 )? 0 : armor - penetration value))

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2014, 08:11:26 pm »
The megamod is almost done.

Coherency is 1.975
Wolfram Lance is 1.975

I just need to finish the handobs for the plasma weapons and then test everything this weekend with a full play through and Fourth State will be at 1.975

Retaliation will be further out.

Been busy working on a soldier editor for xenonauts and some code experiments in openxcom too.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2014, 05:18:27 am »
AWESOME

@Dioxine - no offense taken, I just felt like dropping my two cents thats all, contributing to the pile. And you're right the --Armor thing is a better way to go with it. Im just so used to thinking in terms of multipliers.

The negative: unloading 10 laser shots at a barn wall will make 10 holes in the barn wall, but won't destroy it for easy access.

Even with Overpenetration allowed (ability to shoot through walls), the amount of damage the weapon does should still be applied to the things it hits.

So the laser rifle not only checks to see if it can shoot through the wall, it also hands that wall it's well deserved 60 damage too. Blows holes in walls (maybe) and pierces through them too.

Maybe the damage should be rolled first to figure out if it can do one, or other, or both.

Also the protective quality of everything it has hit should add up against the shot, and possibly reduce the damage caused too. Thats why I said its a fairly hairy issue to code (I smell a FOR loop, maybe a few of them).

And even then the proper way to do it would not just be to add up the Armor values of the things its hit, but to take the biggest and add a percentage of all the others to it. That way something that can shoot through a UFO wall isnt going to be stopped by 3 brick walls. (my suggestion for that just for initial testing is take the highest, add 50% of all of the obstacles encountered and penetrated already to determine if it still has enough juice to punch through the next --- when damage is dealt the damage value is reduced by 75% of the above accrued obstacle strength).

And well, if something is supposed to explode on impact, that negates overpenetration for it.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Equal Terms' 1.0 Mod Discussion.
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2014, 05:04:44 am »
I love this mod, but have 1 and ONLY 1 beef with it.

the SAW... When doing a burst from it, you should get MORE accurate as you fire. In reality you "walk in" a long burst which means you see where you miss and compensate. It wouldn't have to be a huge bonus, but something like 1% a shot and make a long burst be 7 shots.

But other than that... it is frickin' cool.

-HH

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2014, 05:21:31 am »
Helmethair:

I released a 2.0 version out, but it's in Beta.

Final will be out by the end of the month.

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2014, 01:45:43 am »
I love this mod, but have 1 and ONLY 1 beef with it.

the SAW... When doing a burst from it, you should get MORE accurate as you fire. In reality you "walk in" a long burst which means you see where you miss and compensate. It wouldn't have to be a huge bonus, but something like 1% a shot and make a long burst be 7 shots.

But other than that... it is frickin' cool.

-HH

So glad you like it.

Now, the game lacks the capability for recoil, but I may see about adding it to the OpenXcom extended code base.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2014, 07:05:26 am »
I do have a feature request... just a few things that I think would be great. grain of salt of course :)

1. A street sweeper shotgun like a Saiga 12 or a Pancor Jackhammer. Offers burst fire mode and has a 20 round magazine. Burst is three shots no option for aimed or snap, and it costs 40% TUs to shoot, and weighs a ton.

2. Incendiary shells for shotgun. These exist and they use them to start backfires fighting forest fires and I've shot a few myself and they would be SUPER useful on those night missions where you need light.

3.Backblast on the SSRL. like 1 square at 35 dmg, and another directly behind it at 17 and then nothing more. destroys terrain and has a little smoke.

4. A 5 shot pump action grenade launcher that could shoot smoke, HE, Phosphorus, and Buckshot. Look up China Lake launcher if you haven't seen it. It wouldn't have to be super powerful. 30 HE would be plenty and have it cost 45-50% to use. Buckshot would shoot 12-20 pellets at 7-15 dmg of AP.

More ideas... but I'm tired.

-HH

Offline KingMob4313

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2014, 07:31:28 pm »
I do have a feature request... just a few things that I think would be great. grain of salt of course :)

1. A street sweeper shotgun like a Saiga 12 or a Pancor Jackhammer. Offers burst fire mode and has a 20 round magazine. Burst is three shots no option for aimed or snap, and it costs 40% TUs to shoot, and weighs a ton.

2. Incendiary shells for shotgun. These exist and they use them to start backfires fighting forest fires and I've shot a few myself and they would be SUPER useful on those night missions where you need light.

3.Backblast on the SSRL. like 1 square at 35 dmg, and another directly behind it at 17 and then nothing more. destroys terrain and has a little smoke.

4. A 5 shot pump action grenade launcher that could shoot smoke, HE, Phosphorus, and Buckshot. Look up China Lake launcher if you haven't seen it. It wouldn't have to be super powerful. 30 HE would be plenty and have it cost 45-50% to use. Buckshot would shoot 12-20 pellets at 7-15 dmg of AP.

More ideas... but I'm tired.

-HH

I love the suggestions. I would love to add an autoshotty, but the code for the shotgun is massively borked. The only way to make a shotty work in a consistent manner is making it an impossible to miss weapon.

So I'm reluctant to add any more shotties until the shotgun code is less hacky.

2 dragonbreath rounds are neat, but the incendiary weapons were borked in the og game and still kinda are. Combine this with the shotgun code, it wouldn't work as nice as one would like.

3 I wanted backblast on the rl and ssrl, with a 'pie wedge' explosive pattern for both back blast and for shaped explosives, but it would require a big code addition to do.

4 could either go with that or a standard 40mm six shotter... the 40mm shotshells, I hear, are of mixed effectiveness...

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2014, 04:55:58 am »
Much like the shotguns as they stand now ;)

But seriously, even with all the limitations that you have to work with/around I deeply love the additions that you have made. It makes one of my FAVORITE games of all time better.

Now my brain won't shut up so here comes more suggestions/ things I want to see.

1. Alien Smart grenades. A step between a blasterbomb and a grenade. Works like a blasterbomb but has only 1-3 way points (1 being least overpowered and 3 being WAY overpowered, 2 being ideal) Does less damage than regular alien grenade and needs more Elerium and alloys to manufacture. So you can throw a nade AROUND a corner.

2. Flare gun. Single shot high accuracy, low damage pistol that shoots a phosphorus slug that burns for X turns. Would be cool if you could shoot an elctroflaresuqe device.

3.Incendiary proxy grenade. For those night missions with aliens sneaking in the dark, it is an insurance policy that illuminates and keeps our ET buddies toasty. You know what they say; build a man a fire  and he's warm for a day, set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Just had a squad wiped on a night mission...ugh.

-HH

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2014, 11:19:31 pm »
3.Incendiary proxy grenade. For those night missions with aliens sneaking in the dark, it is an insurance policy that illuminates and keeps our ET buddies toasty. You know what they say; build a man a fire  and he's warm for a day, set him on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

... hmm .. me likes :)
kindof situational, but not a bad idea.  Might mod that one up.  Must be manufactured in X-COM's Ied shop.  Consumes one incendiary grenade and one Proxie grenade (both purchase-able).  Fairly low cost in time or money to manufacture, so you could make a batch of 20 in a day with one workshop. 

And in my custom rules game, would add one more tool to the tool chest.\

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2014, 07:42:52 am »
Oh Ivan. You crack me up. :)