Author Topic: Geoscape Zoom Levels and Smoother Interception Transition  (Read 3053 times)

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Geoscape Zoom Levels and Smoother Interception Transition
« on: May 26, 2014, 07:01:22 pm »
The Former (by itself, see below) is more of a vanity, to have more zoom levels than the vanilla six ones we have.

As for the Latter: As far as I can see, the reason that the Interception transition is still kinda choppy while all other Geoscape animation/smoothness issues were fixed with the max clock speed option is that OpenXcom has no other Geoscape zoom levels besides the 6 we have access to, thus OXC awkwardly speeding through them with no in-betweens.

Can those additional zoom levels be added at least just for interception transitions, so it will look as smooth as seen in this video?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arWwFeYAfu0&feature=youtu.be&t=25m14s (It is at 25:14 just in case, and apologies since it is from TFTD, since in all UFO videos I found the game was set at high enough CPU speed that it made transitions instant, or the videos themselves were too choppy; And besides, it seems that in TFTD the transition speed is not CPU dependent)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 08:27:59 pm by shinr »

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Geoscape Zoom Levels and Smoother Interception Transition
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 08:02:16 pm »
In this case it just looks smooth because it's going through the zoom levels very quickly (because it IS CPU dependent)

Though I agree that it would be nice to make the zooming incremental.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 04:30:31 am »
Actually you're both wrong. :P
Both UFO and TFTD are CPU-dependant. However, they use a different smooth zoom for dogfights, as opposed to the regular UI zoom.

This has now been fixed in OpenXcom.

Offline shinr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 08:03:18 am »
Thank you!