Author Topic: [ENEMIES] Men in Black 4.5 | Cover 2.3.2 | Gazer 1.9.1 | Anthropod 1.5.2  (Read 155330 times)

Offline Hadan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [ENEMY] Men in Black 3.1
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2014, 08:45:55 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, I wil test some more.

3. MiB weapon tech will improve as the game goes on. But yeah, rewards-wise it isn't great, since I didn't want to insert MiB-specific new tech.
Is a money-reward possible?

greetz
Hadan

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [ENEMY] Men in Black 3.1 | Cover Alien 1.9u | Gazer Alien 1.2u
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2014, 05:21:51 am »
I have another bug to report. Since MiB use human weapons, having these weapons in any kind of mission now gives you bonus for recovering alien artefacts. I mean for rifles and such that you take on a mission normally, you get points. When I removed weapon entries from your ruleset, this behaviour stopped. I'm not sure why it doesn't happen with alien weapons, perhaps the fact that they need to be researched takes care of this?

Therefore I'd suggest dropping the point rewards from these weapons. They are just normal guns, so I don't know why the UN council would care about finding them.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: [ENEMY] Men in Black 3.0u | Cover Alien 1.9u | Gazer Alien 1.2u
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2014, 06:28:23 am »
The MiB base is already a custom building built with a custom tileset:

If I'll ever do maps again for the MiB mod, it would be variants to the terror village. But I'm already working on something else so I don't think it'll happen.

I think I recognize that tileset ;)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2014, 11:27:46 am »
I have another bug to report. Since MiB use human weapons, having these weapons in any kind of mission now gives you bonus for recovering alien artefacts. I mean for rifles and such that you take on a mission normally, you get points. When I removed weapon entries from your ruleset, this behaviour stopped. I'm not sure why it doesn't happen with alien weapons, perhaps the fact that they need to be researched takes care of this?

Therefore I'd suggest dropping the point rewards from these weapons. They are just normal guns, so I don't know why the UN council would care about finding them.
It is not a bug. I did it on purpose because the final score for MiB mission was too low (the terror mission was the problematic one IIRC). So in the ruleset I added recovery points for human equipment, the same things happen in Apocalypse too after all. The problem is that UFOEU lists these points under "alien artifacts", instead of just "items " or whatever it was in Apocalypse. I can remove these points but then the MiB missions will tend to score a bit low until they start using plasma weapons. I can "fix" this by giving high scores to the MiB units, but then killing a human would became more rewarding than killing an alien.
However.. yeah, I'll remove them and push up a little the score for MiB units and hopefully it'll be alright.

(But now my priority is to fix the research. I did a little modification but the main problem is that you don't bring back the stunned MiB. And I can't manage to fix this...).

I think I recognize that tileset ;)
Yeah, sorry. I didn't know how to get to you to ask for permission. I was modding non-stop and I just used it.
The tileset is awesome, the only thin I don't like it that the external brick wall is too resistant (large rockets don't do anything, I haven't tried with blaster bombs but  personally I think a small rocket already should be capable of punching an hole in it). The internal "ufo-like" blue wall on the other hand is fine if it is as resistant as ufo's.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 11:43:37 am by robin »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2014, 03:33:44 pm »
It is not a bug. I did it on purpose because the final score for MiB mission was too low (the terror mission was the problematic one IIRC).

Yeah, I understand the purpose of this, but it's broken. You can simply buy 200 rifles, load them on the Skyranger, do a Small Scout mission, bam! hundreds of victory points. ;)

So in the ruleset I added recovery points for human equipment, the same things happen in Apocalypse too after all. The problem is that UFOEU lists these points under "alien artifacts", instead of just "items " or whatever it was in Apocalypse. I can remove these points but then the MiB missions will tend to score a bit low until they start using plasma weapons. I can "fix" this by giving high scores to the MiB units, but then killing a human would became more rewarding than killing an alien.

But that's no problem! Killing foreignenemies is good, but killing traitors is even better! (In the eyes of the Council anyway.) ;)

However.. yeah, I'll remove them and push up a little the score for MiB units and hopefully it'll be alright.

Ah good. :)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2014, 03:56:31 pm »
You can simply buy 200 rifles, load them on the Skyranger, do a Small Scout mission, bam! hundreds of victory points. ;)
No, well, I don't think it works that way: you get scored only for extra stuff you get on the ground.
Otherwise it would have the same problem once you start using plasma weapon (which have recovery values by default), but it doesn't.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2014, 04:02:17 pm »
No, well, I don't think it works that way: you get scored only for extra stuff you get on the ground.
Otherwise it would have the same problem once you start using plasma weapon (which have recovery values by default), but it doesn't.

Well, I usually bring extra guns and leave them in the Skyranger. Those certainly count.

For a 40 missions or so I was wandering why I'm getting so many points. When I removed weapon entries from your mod, it stopped.

I don't know why it doesn't work for alien weapons, but I think the game checks if there's a finished research for these weapons; if there is, it stops counting their assigned victory points. Since rifles etc. don't have their own research, I think it causes the problem. This is just a theory though.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2014, 04:05:58 pm »
I don't know why it doesn't work for alien weapons, but I think the game checks if there's a finished research for these weapons; if there is, it stops counting their assigned victory points. Since rifles etc. don't have their own research, I think it causes the problem. This is just a theory though.
oh, you may be right. Anyway I removed them. Once I manage to fix the research I'll re-upload the mod.
(Also the frequency of the MiB bases spawned, thanks to the new info about the mission generation, should finally be fixed).

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2014, 06:07:04 pm »
why not just add "$1 bills" you can sell them for $1 and give them the points

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2014, 06:17:28 pm »
why not just add "$1 bills" you can sell them for $1 and give them the points

Great idea! But I think even better would be condemning evidence files. :P

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2014, 06:56:27 pm »
Yeah, sorry. I didn't know how to get to you to ask for permission. I was modding non-stop and I just used it.

No worries, you don't need my permission to use or modify the tilesets on any way you want since this is all open source. But it is appropriate to give credit to whom it is due, for instance Nachtwolf (a UFO2000 developer) was the designer of many of Dawn City's graphics and I always include him on the credits. :)

The tileset is awesome, the only thin I don't like it that the external brick wall is too resistant (large rockets don't do anything, I haven't tried with blaster bombs but  personally I think a small rocket already should be capable of punching an hole in it). The internal "ufo-like" blue wall on the other hand is fine if it is as resistant as ufo's.

I will redo Area51's tileset in the future after I'm done with the other terrains so I'll keep that in mind.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2014, 07:20:14 pm »
But it is appropriate to give credit to whom it is due, for instance Nachtwolf (a UFO2000 developer) was the designer of many of Dawn City's graphics and I always include him on the credits. :)
Thanks, I'll had him too in the readme credits.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2014, 07:31:09 pm »
Thanks, I'll had him too in the readme credits.

Actually Area51 was completely created by me, so there's no need to mention him unless you use Dawn City's tiles. I simply mentioned him as an example of a good practice regarding crediting one's work.

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 18, 2014, 05:42:32 pm »
Hey robin, I'm not sure if you know this, but your mod is now the most discussed mod ever (in terms of posts) and the second most talked about topic in the forum's history. The only topic with more posts is the original battlescape development topic. Congratulations.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 18, 2014, 07:10:41 pm »
Hey robin, I'm not sure if you know this, but your mod is now the most discussed mod ever (in terms of posts) and the second most talked about topic in the forum's history. The only topic with more posts is the original battlescape development topic. Congratulations.

Robin's cheating, this thread contains 3 mods. :P