Author Topic: Line breaks in long strings  (Read 3814 times)

Offline Esrael

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Line breaks in long strings
« on: May 15, 2014, 08:17:23 am »
Hello,

I have a little suggestion to improve the aesthetics of line breaks in long strings. The problem is that when OpenXcom makes a line break in a long string, it adds the space to the new line instead of the previous line (see pictures) creating an unnecessary indentation. It's not that common in the English version, but a bit more common in the Finnish translation for the strings to wrap to another line, so it would be nice if someone had the time to fix the line breaking rules to include the space at the end of the word preceding the line break.

Thanks a lot for your great work on this marvellous gem, guys! :D

Offline Esrael

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Line breaks in long strings
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 08:26:35 am »
Ugh, I just realized I should have probably written this in the bug tracker. >_> I filed the issue there instead, so you can close this thread.

Sorry!

Offline Snickerdoodle

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:04:03 am »
No, in this case I have to disagree. The indentation makes it clearer that the text is a continuation of the preceding line, and not a separate line.

Without the indentation, the mods screen would be more confusing.

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 11:51:37 am »
Same opinion here. The indentation gives a visual cue that the indented line(s) and the first unindented line above are composing one list element.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 06:25:19 am »
As I mentioned in the bug tracker, "it's not a bug, it's a feature!". :P This was specifically added because people didn't like this:

While unconventional (normally the first line is indented in long texts), this is the only workaround for having distinguishable multi-line rows without messing with the layout.