Author Topic: [WEAPON][ARMOR] Small Rocket Small 1.0 | Armored Vest 1.4  (Read 32746 times)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
[WEAPON][ARMOR] Small Rocket Small 1.0 | Armored Vest 1.4
« on: May 09, 2014, 10:43:22 pm »
Two little mods.

"Small Rocket Small" makes the small rockets smaller (and lighter), 2x1 instead of regular 3x1.

"Armored Vest" is variation of Ryskeliini's Combat Armor MOD, I wanted the helmet to look more modern so I re-drew it, and also retouched the cuirass.
Changelog:
-- merged sprites (thanks Falko);
-- russian, ukrainian;
1.2u
-- UTF-8;

Downloads available on OpenXCom Mods Website.

Here two screens where you can see both mods in action:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 04:50:25 pm by robin »

Offline HotIceHilda

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [WEAPON],[ARMOR] Small Rocket Small, Armored Vest 1.0
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:35:38 am »
In the inventory screen the pants are as dark as the knee pads. In the battlescape the pants are a much lighter brown. I would recommend to make the pants in the inventory screen lighter like they are in the battlescape. Besides that it looks pretty good.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:17:43 am »
French translation (from 1.0)

Code: [Select]
  - type: fr
    strings:
      STR_ARMORED_VEST: Gilet de Combat
      STR_ARMORED_VEST_UC: GILET DE COMBAT
      STR_XCOM4_CORPSE: Corps
      STR_ARMORED_VEST_UFOPAEDIA: Gilet pare-balles en céramique, offrant une protection non négligeable contre les projectiles ou les explosions.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:19:25 am by Aldorn »

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 03:38:23 am »
question...
why are all these combat armor mods green? i know they stand out so you can tell them apart but... shouldn't they be similar colours to the jump suit? or like... dark/black?
or am I the only one who dislikes the green?? it just looks a little too stand-out-ish

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 11:19:44 am »
In the inventory screen the pants are as dark as the knee pads. In the battlescape the pants are a much lighter brown. I would recommend to make the pants in the inventory screen lighter like they are in the battlescape. Besides that it looks pretty good.
The darker brown in the paperdoll looks good though.

question...
why are all these combat armor mods green? i know they stand out so you can tell them apart but... shouldn't they be similar colours to the jump suit? or like... dark/black?
or am I the only one who dislikes the green?? it just looks a little too stand-out-ish
I think the original combination used by Ryskeliini is really the best, so I kept it unchanged.
I though about trying other colors, but..
Grey?
I like colorful stuff, and also a grey armor could look too similar to my MiB enemy units.
Blue?
Already doing another armor using blue color.
The rest of the colors are: colors already used by the standard armors, reds-oranges-brows, purple and pink.. Yeah: green is just better.
Re-coloring it is simple and quick though: its 19 frames plus 8 paperdolls; so if you really dislike it, you can personalize it easily.

French translation (from 1.0)

- type: fr
    strings:
      STR_ARMORED_VEST: Gilet de Combat
      STR_ARMORED_VEST_UC: GILET DE COMBAT
      STR_XCOM4_CORPSE: Corps
      STR_ARMORED_VEST_UFOPAEDIA: Gilet pare-balles en céramique, offrant une protection non négligeable contre les projectiles ou les explosions.
Thanks and done. Uploading new version as soon as I can.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 11:21:35 am by robin »

Offline HotIceHilda

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 11:48:18 am »
The darker brown in the paperdoll looks good though.
Then make the pants browner in the battlescape. It doesn't look like it was done well with two completely different browns.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 12:17:40 pm »
Since we've been having a translation fest lately... ;)

- type: pl-PL
    strings:
      STR_ARMORED_VEST: Kamizelka opancerzona
      STR_ARMORED_VEST_UC: KAMIZELKA OPANCERZONA
      STR_XCOM4_CORPSE: Zwłoki
      STR_ARMORED_VEST_UFOPAEDIA: Ceramiczna kamizelka balistyczna, zapewniająca ochronę przed pociskami i eksplozjami.

By the way, we've been analysing armours lately with Dioxine and I think this should have a bit different profile, considering its original purpose and pre-XCom tech level (as gauged from Earth weapons - yeah, we've spent quite a bit of time on this). Please consider this:

frontArmor: 28
    sideArmor: 12
    rearArmor: 16
    underArmor: 12
    damageModifier:

It's not exactly worse, actually it's a little better against bullets, but weaker side and under armour are more in line with how it works in real life.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 12:22:39 pm »
Then make the pants browner in the battlescape. It doesn't look like it was done well with two completely different browns.
Truth is these are two mods I very quickly put together for personal use. I'm sharing but I don't really want to work anymore on them because I personally think they're fine as they are.
And to do what you ask, I lack the whole spritesheet for this so I'd have to recolor each frame one by one.
I'll gladly add translations (it's just a matter of copy-paste) but, unless there's something broken which obviously I'll fix, I don't want to touch the graphics anymore; I'm already focusing on another armor and another alien.  :-[

@ Solarious Scorch
I have to go now, will give proper answer later.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 12:27:32 pm by robin »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 01:35:34 pm »
question...

And I share same feeling as you
I am sure a kind of mixed light blue for pants/dark blue for vest would convince me to use it ; or a white+grey ice cream

In fact, I think this is the big difference between vest and pant colors that is shocking me

Do not be offended by this post : in french we say "Les goûts et les couleurs..." i.e. anyone has his own "tastes" and colors, so do not take care  ;)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 02:06:49 pm »
Oh, I personally like the new sprites very much... Those who do not like pants, consider: Torso& head is just basically 5 pictures. Recoloring pants means redrawing like 80 pictures :)

The only thing I don't like are the grey sleeves - they should be brown to match the pants.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 02:44:46 pm »
Since we've been having a translation fest lately... ;)

- type: pl-PL
    strings:
      STR_ARMORED_VEST: Kamizelka opancerzona
      STR_ARMORED_VEST_UC: KAMIZELKA OPANCERZONA
      STR_XCOM4_CORPSE: Zwłoki
      STR_ARMORED_VEST_UFOPAEDIA: Ceramiczna kamizelka balistyczna, zapewniająca ochronę przed pociskami i eksplozjami.

By the way, we've been analysing armours lately with Dioxine and I think this should have a bit different profile, considering its original purpose and pre-XCom tech level (as gauged from Earth weapons - yeah, we've spent quite a bit of time on this). Please consider this:

frontArmor: 28
    sideArmor: 12
    rearArmor: 16
    underArmor: 12
    damageModifier:

It's not exactly worse, actually it's a little better against bullets, but weaker side and under armour are more in line with how it works in real life.
PL language added; will upload later. Thanks.

About the armor stats.
I think your stats make sense in a context where you consistently encounter enemies using AP weapons (and probably this how it is in Dioxine's mod).
In the case of a lone armor however it could be used in any context, including vanilla. In vanilla, where you basically face plasma (and esplosive) attack only, with your stats I think it would be too useless (only the front armor have a significant value).
Therefore I think using "general purpose" armor values, instead of special damage modifiers, is better: it makes the armor consistently equally useful in any type of context.

(Also as a principle I think that damage modifiers should be modified only when you specifically want to obtain a special flavor: a goo alien resistance to AP makes a lot of sense, an alien with "thick skin" instead should just have above-average armor values).

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 02:48:53 pm »
Oh, I personally like the new sprites very much... Those who do not like pants, consider: Torso& head is just basically 5 pictures. Recoloring pants means redrawing like 80 pictures :)

The only thing I don't like are the grey sleeves - they should be brown to match the pants.

Oups...

So you are right, just congratulation for the job  ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 11:25:21 pm »
PL language added; will upload later. Thanks.

About the armor stats.
I think your stats make sense in a context where you consistently encounter enemies using AP weapons (and probably this how it is in Dioxine's mod).
In the case of a lone armor however it could be used in any context, including vanilla. In vanilla, where you basically face plasma (and esplosive) attack only, with your stats I think it would be too useless (only the front armor have a significant value).

See, that's why I'm not a big fan of human armours in X-Com. I totally agree that it's not very useful, but then again, that's how it logically should be. Kevlar and ceramics must be crap against plasma, period. This has nothing to do with the Piratez mod, which uses completely different philosophy.

I can understand a little compromise to make the armour a bit more useful, but on the other hand, I don't think it's worth the damage it does to immersion.

...unless it could be unlocked by some early research maybe? Worse than Personal Armour, but still somewhat resistant to plasma? I just don't know.

Therefore I think using "general purpose" armor values, instead of special damage modifiers, is better: it makes the armor consistently equally useful in any type of context.

Yeah, true. However, while it's not a problem with fictional armours, it's not as simple with real life designs.

Sorry my post is not more constructive, but I guess that's all I can do...

Offline Arpia

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [WEAPON][ARMOR] Small Rocket Small 1.0 | Armored Vest 1.1
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 03:21:42 am »
could I suggest darkish brown for the kevlar? the same colour the knee pads are on the sprite, they stand out enough.

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 01:34:08 pm »
See, that's why I'm not a big fan of human armours in X-Com. I totally agree that it's not very useful, but then again, that's how it logically should be. Kevlar and ceramics must be crap against plasma, period.
Xcom is a simulative game and that nature is what makes it so special and good to me (and that's why I hate the 2012 remake); but at the same time I feel it never pursues "realism for the sake of realism".  There are a lot of aliens that just have a thick skin (muton, snakeman, reaper) or a chitin exoskeleton (chryssalid), and they're all effective against plasma; so I don't see why ceramic "must be crap": it should be crap only if it makes sense inside the gameplay for it to be crap.

As I said I won't change it because I like it how it is. But you guys can go ahead and personalize it. You could put out a more realistic version, with the green recolored brown as Arpia suggested (quite easy thing to do) , and your stats. I'm not against it at all.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 01:36:05 pm by robin »