Author Topic: [WEAPON] Gauss Weapons 1.9  (Read 84329 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
[WEAPON] Gauss Weapons 1.9
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:29:43 pm »
Gauss Mod 1.9

This mod adds a new line of items: gauss weapons, or "railguns", to be researched, manufactured and used by the X-Com.

An up-to-date version in the attachment.

Gauss weapons are meant to be an alternative to starting tech for laser weapons, with a different profile but roughly comparable and also available from the start. The main reasoning behind this decision is that both real life hand-held lasers and hand-held railguns suffer from the same problem: it is impossible to build a power supply compact enough to make the weapon practical. If we assume that this problem was overcome for the lasers (probably thanks to early research on alien tech), then we can make gauss weapons too.

The mod adds the following items:
1. Gauss Pistol. A powerful, weighted side arm.
2. Gauss Rifle. A hypervelocity kinetic weapon, very effective against lightly armoured, big targets.
3. Gauss Sniper Rifle. An natural development of the Gauss Rifle, sacrificing mobility for greater accuracy and even more damage.
4. Heavy Gauss. Makes big holes, easily comparable to plasma weapons (at least when pitted against enemies with low resistance to Armour Piercing), but much more unwieldy.
5. Gauss Tank. A standard tank with a sligthtly modified Heavy Gauss.
6. Gauss Hovertank. as above, but mounted on a hovertank chassis. Has far greater mobility and thicker armour, but at a cost of less efficient snap shots (stability issues). Both require gauss ammo rounds to be used.
7. Gauss Cannon. This craft weapon has shorter effective range than the Laser Cannon, but it packs more power per shot (the rpm value is similar for both weapons).
8. Railgun versions for all the above.
It also adds relevant research projects, manufacture orders and ufopedia entries.

Most of you are probably wondering about the TFTD gauss weapons. They are irrelevant: these gauss guns have different stats and a different role. They are more powerful and more accurate than lasers, but they lack autofire and their damage type is Armour Piercing, which most aliens are more resistant to than to lasers. They require ammo clips, but the clips are generally large (since gauss bullets are fairly small). (TFTD gauss guns didn't seem to have anything to do with gauss weaponry whatsoever, but that's beside the point.)

In the future, I will also squash all the bugs that inevitably will appear, since I didn't test this as thoroughly as I should have. :P
And if non-standard grenade damage is enabled in OpenXCom, I would like to add gauss "explosives" with area damage (grenades and rockets), with Armour Piercing damage type.

With version 1.4, old weapon sprites (stolen from TFTD, with slight improvement by myself) were pushed out in favour of new sprites by GrandSirThebus, who was kind enough to donate his superior pictures for this mod. Here's the gallery of some of his works used in this mod:

CHANGELOG:
1.8b: Fixed the bug with some railguns not requiring Elerium to produce.
1.7: Adds a second tier of Gauss weaponry: the railguns, using GrandSirThebus' sprites and Kuisti's sounds. Normal Gauss weapons use TFTD sprites again. Fixed a bug with ammo sell costs. New bullet sprite for Gauss weapons.
1.6b: Fixed missing strings.
1.6: Fixed palette on clip bigobs. Moved sprites to sprite sheets (courtesy of Arthanor).
1.5: Fixed tank ammo category. Added missing French translations (credits: Ascadix). Added weapon entry to the tanks. Some cleaning of unnecessary data.
1.4: Completely new, absolutely stunning sprites and sounds for the hand weapons! Credits: GrandSirThebus.
1.3: Added Spanish translation (credits: Nightwolf).
1.2: Added Russian translation (credits: phobos2077).
1.1: Added French (credits: Aldorn) and Polish translations. Added new sounds (credits: Human Ktulu).
1.0: Added unique Gauss Tank and Gauss Hovertank turrets.
0.6: Fixed typos in this readme. :P
0.5: Added Gauss Pistol, Gauss Rifle, Gauss Sniper Rifle, Heavy Gauss, Gauss Tank, Gauss Hovertank and Gauss Cannon.

CREDITS:
"X-Com: Terror from the Deep": craft weapon sprites (slightly altered by Solarius Scorch)
GrandSirThebus: weapon sprites and sounds
Solarius Scorch: ruleset, Gauss Sniper Rifle and Heavy Gauss Clip sprites, icons for the Gauss Cannon (by playing around with TFTD sprites)
Plus, see the changelog for our brave translators!

Special thanks go to:
- Dioxine, for his advice on 2D graphics.
- Tyran_nick, for inspiration (this was at first supposed to be just a sprite update of his Railgun mod, before it went a different path).
- GrandSirThebus, for choosing this mod for upgrade with new awesome graphics.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:31:59 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Gauss Weapons 0.5
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 08:51:45 pm »
Your description seems very promising :-)

As in TFTD, the Heavy Gauss looks like an overdeveloped hair-dryer :-P
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:12:07 pm by LouisdeFuines »

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 09:22:01 pm »
Cool  8)

For translation string I see "en-US" (ok) but "en-EN" it's possible ?!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 09:27:56 pm »
Cool  8)

Oh yes, I'll add it in the next version.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:59:50 pm »
If it isn`t too much work and you want it, I could help you with the german translation (on occasion).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:05:52 pm »
If it isn`t too much work and you want it, I could help you with the german translation (on occasion).

Of course, I'd appreciate it :)

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 10:09:16 pm »
In TFTD the Coelacanth/Gauss uses Craft Gauss Cannon rounds, which must be manufactured and are shared with any Gauss Cannons in use at the base.
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Coelacanth/Gauss

Is it implemented?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 10:46:39 pm »

I just checked and... the British English is there already. (Not sure if it's correct, but it's there.) Unless it doesn't work or something...?

In TFTD the Coelacanth/Gauss uses Craft Gauss Cannon rounds, which must be manufactured and are shared with any Gauss Cannons in use at the base.
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Coelacanth/Gauss

Is it implemented?

They use different ammunition. Consider this: the Gauss Tank's cannon deals 95 damage, and the craft gauss cannon deals 100 damage in ship-to-ship combat; however, these scales must be very different, since the first wouldn't even scratch the UFO, while the second shoots them down good. So it can't be the same ammo.

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 12:12:09 pm »
I made something similar for me myself, now i wish I hadn't wasted my time on this, because your mod is much more complete...  :-D

Good work!

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 01:38:02 pm »
i can help you with the spanish translation if you want...i also had the TFTD on spanish...so i can put the "oficial"-ish translation :v

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 06:45:00 pm »
i can help you with the spanish translation if you want...i also had the TFTD on spanish...so i can put the "oficial"-ish translation :v

Sure, translations are always appreciated.

My only worry is that AFAIK there's an issue with more than one non-English language version in the same .rul file... I need to check this.

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 10:27:45 pm »
Yeah, do that.

In the weekend I will have done the translation work.

And surely blackwolf will have done his work soon too.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 07:47:32 pm »
A new version is posted! It features completely new tank turrets! Get it today!

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 12:32:56 pm »
Nice! *downloads* 

When making my Heat-Ray mod i initially thought about making it similar in scope to your mod (with added tank and craft weapons) but then I realized that it would be TOO similar and went a different path.

Oh and now I see where you learned the "hairdryer" comparison  ;D

Offline Argo

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Gauss Weapons 1.0
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2014, 05:45:44 pm »
Nice mod, thank you :)

I have found a problem into the main campain, I have an engine crash when the "gauss cannon" reseach is complete.  I have no problems with the pistol, rifle, heavy and sniper research.

PS im playing with "openxcom_git_master_2014_04_30_0545"