Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1581199 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #2520 on: January 15, 2017, 01:47:15 pm »
Hi,

I am trying to install this mod.

When I go into Advanced Options for Geoscape there is no option for enabling 'destroy/spend item upon research' or anything that looks like it may do this. The install page for the mod says that this should be enabled. What do I do?

I am using the latest nightly of OpenXcom.

Sorry, it's my fault - this option no longer exists (replaced with specific settings) and I forgot to remove this part from the readme. So please ignore that part.

Thank you for reading the instructions, it's a rare sight. :)

Offline Wimples

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: January 18, 2017, 11:23:58 pm »
I've played through FMP twice now, and have to say it's quite involved. I have a couple of thoughts:

1. Have you considered  adding something similar to a heavy personal armor, to bridge the gap between Personal/Jump armor and Power/Flying/Stormtrooper Armor?

2. I think an alloy based craft missile should be added, to bridge the gap between stingray and stormlance (I think avalanche missiles shouldn't be in the game, but I can just not use them...)

3. I feel the Alien Data Slates/Leader/Commander research is a bit wonky. I think there should be an order in how the research is given: Fusion Explosives (unlocking grenades/elerium bomb), then the delta radiation for stun launchers, then optronics and other related research, then plasma, fusion and finally antimatter for rail guns. You could change the research on Nuclear Lasers to come in after fusion/optronics, rather than introducing it with rail tech. It makes nuclear lasers available and useful. It also puts rail guns all the way at the back. As powerful as they are, that's fitting. Even if you run into sectopods early, they can be killed with high explosives/incendiaries/heavy guass (Had to do that during a terror mission)

4. The Battleship version where the power sources are in the center rather than the four legs is missing the diagonal "rear" walls that run along the upper left to lower right sides.

5. Are you considering increasing melee accuracy starting stats? The 20-30 it is now is asking troops to get killed missing their 4-5 whacks at the enemy.

6. There was some discussion earlier in the thread about what reseaching alien soldiers should give you in addition to what it unlcoks now. How about a ufopaedia entry of the alien's stats? I've been trying to figure out their states for awhile now, and outside of psionic control, I can't find a list.

Great job on the mod. It's thoroughly enjoyable. Except when you run into Ethereals and Waspites unexpectedly. In June. JUNE! I wonder if they should up after you research certain things? I had  waged a fairly bloody war with the Sectiods and had rail tech in April this time around.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: January 18, 2017, 11:52:10 pm »
I've played through FMP twice now, and have to say it's quite involved. I have a couple of thoughts:

Thanks, man!

1. Have you considered  adding something similar to a heavy personal armor, to bridge the gap between Personal/Jump armor and Power/Flying/Stormtrooper Armor?

Yes, but I've never had resources for this. Well, until recently - I made a similar armour for X-Com Files and so it may actually happen. Thanks for the positive feedback.

2. I think an alloy based craft missile should be added, to bridge the gap between stingray and stormlance (I think avalanche missiles shouldn't be in the game, but I can just not use them...)

There isn't much that can be done to make stronger missiles other than fusion explosives... So, no.

3. I feel the Alien Data Slates/Leader/Commander research is a bit wonky. I think there should be an order in how the research is given: Fusion Explosives (unlocking grenades/elerium bomb), then the delta radiation for stun launchers, then optronics and other related research, then plasma, fusion and finally antimatter for rail guns. You could change the research on Nuclear Lasers to come in after fusion/optronics, rather than introducing it with rail tech. It makes nuclear lasers available and useful. It also puts rail guns all the way at the back. As powerful as they are, that's fitting. Even if you run into sectopods early, they can be killed with high explosives/incendiaries/heavy guass (Had to do that during a terror mission)

Unfortunately the engine won't let me do this; all getOneFree researches must be equal.

4. The Battleship version where the power sources are in the center rather than the four legs is missing the diagonal "rear" walls that run along the upper left to lower right sides.

OK, I'll check, thanks.

5. Are you considering increasing melee accuracy starting stats? The 20-30 it is now is asking troops to get killed missing their 4-5 whacks at the enemy.

Sure, I can do that.

6. There was some discussion earlier in the thread about what reseaching alien soldiers should give you in addition to what it unlcoks now. How about a ufopaedia entry of the alien's stats? I've been trying to figure out their states for awhile now, and outside of psionic control, I can't find a list.

Not a bad idea. Quite a bit of work, though. Would appreciate help here. :P

Great job on the mod. It's thoroughly enjoyable. Except when you run into Ethereals and Waspites unexpectedly. In June. JUNE! I wonder if they should up after you research certain things? I had  waged a fairly bloody war with the Sectiods and had rail tech in April this time around.

No, it's all randomness. ;) Good luck!

Offline Wimples

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: January 19, 2017, 01:50:45 am »
It's fun. I'll look forward to the melee accuracy upgrade when you get around to it. I'm getting bored with my playstyle of scout with tanks and aimed shot from safety strategy. It works, but.....well. I want to try something a bit more suicidal, like pistols and swords or something.

Or maybe a human weaponry only run, and just get super duper close to cyberdiscs and sectopods and use flamethrowers. The only thing that stops me is gazers. They've become my new hated alien. Stupid turtles.

Offline yetiisyou

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: January 22, 2017, 08:17:26 pm »
I went through the game without any problems. I started again at a high level of complexity. I captured eight bases, and now the game crashed when departing the base (

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: January 22, 2017, 08:25:01 pm »
It crashes for me too, but you have so many mods enabled that I don't even know if the problem is with my mod or the other ones... I am 75% sure it's mine, but can't really be sure.

Offline yetiisyou

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: January 22, 2017, 08:27:09 pm »
removed the questionable and unnecessary. but the game I have passed without a single mistake.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: January 22, 2017, 08:51:49 pm »
removed the questionable and unnecessary. but the game I have passed without a single mistake.

Yes, I did it too, but I'm not sure what's left in the save.

Anyway, I still think it's my mod which is faulty, but why it would suddenly happen? I haven't seen such an error before, and this code is years old. Unless it has something to do with recent nightly changes.

Anyway, I can't resolve this, as I checked all I could think of and the log isn't helpful at all...

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: January 22, 2017, 09:31:23 pm »
Anyway, I can't resolve this, as I checked all I could think of and the log isn't helpful at all...

Code: [Select]
      - name: UBASE_19
        width: 20
        length: 20
        type: 7
        groups: 3
        items:
          STR_ALIEN_DATA_SLATE:
            - [15, 26, 1]

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: January 22, 2017, 11:47:08 pm »
Hmmm... You mean the item is beyond the map? And the game crashes because it can't place it?

Thanks a lot, I'd never, ever find it myself...

BTW that's the worst thing about modding; you just don't get any information on what goes wrong. Meridian added some very useful tools to OXCE+ to make the log more helpful, but they are for specific problems, this one not being one of them. I don't know what I'd do without Meridian...

Uploading a new version, hopefully no more things like this one. (How did it even happen? 26x15? Seriously? Was I drunk or possessed?) Get it from https://www.mediafire.com/file/njr14inr645aj06/Final_Mod_Pack_1.9.6c.zip

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: January 22, 2017, 11:53:17 pm »
Hmmm... You mean the item is beyond the map? And the game crashes because it can't place it?

Many times it just ends up in another map block, but if the map block is generated on the south/east edges of the map, it would be placed off the map... and ka-boom.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: January 22, 2017, 11:59:58 pm »
Many times it just ends up in another map block, but if the map block is generated on the south/east edges of the map, it would be placed off the map... and ka-boom.

Yeah, I get the picture. I screwed up big time and gave a few people trouble. Sorry!

Hmm, maybe we could make a list of common crashes to show up in the log... Would be great for noobs like me.

Offline yetiisyou

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: January 23, 2017, 07:35:12 am »
Yeah! Work it! ))

Offline Lenzar

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: January 31, 2017, 10:47:40 am »
After installing OpenXCom, I chose to download the FMP.

However, when I try to activate the 'ruleset' directory, OpenXCom throws a wobbly. It is looking for a file called IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT. I've already checked and the file is exactly where the game is looking.

Is this because I have installed OpenXCom on a secondary drive, well away from its usual location?

My XCom version is Steam.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2017, 11:34:00 am by Lenzar »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: January 31, 2017, 03:21:09 pm »
After installing OpenXCom, I chose to download the FMP.

However, when I try to activate the 'ruleset' directory, OpenXCom throws a wobbly. It is looking for a file called IMPROVEDGLOBE.DAT. I've already checked and the file is exactly where the game is looking.

Is this because I have installed OpenXCom on a secondary drive, well away from its usual location?

My XCom version is Steam.

Actually installing the game (any game) "well away from its usual location", which I presume is Program Files, is in many cases a very good thing to do. So that's not it.

Maybe try running as admin, or make sure you are?