Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1612470 times)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #1290 on: April 14, 2015, 02:47:05 pm »
Just for the record, I'm fine with AP and alloy shotgun rounds being single-shot (which, now that I've read up on shotguns I realize is a perfectly legit kind of shotgun ammo).

My "problem" with that is that the game/mod  has an abundant number of single shot long/medium ranged weapons and the shotguns were a Godsent short range burst weapon, for your blindass rookies. Plus it makes it close combat quarters a blast (litteraly :P). Storming a UFO was never more fun. So transforming it into another rifle was not something that sat right with me, I was litteraly using shotguns to snipe cyberrdiscs two screens away. Not that its impossible to have a single shot round. But those are my 2 cents and not an opinion, not something I try to enforce. Seems though Solarius like the good sport he is, took care of tastes in the best possible facion :D

Some remarks regarding the Harpoon rifle:

I believe the intial stun damage is quite spot on. After all you dont want to make the stun rods obsolete by the get go. However there is...a mess? On how to progress up the cycle to get the second clip. I know it unlocks with autopsies but I dont know if there are any specific needed or a tottal number accumulated? Assuming it is less or equal to 5-6 (which with the proliferation of races in the mod) it is an easy matter to deviate outside your research path and doesnt make the stun launcher useless (however it is a mystery to me how to unlock the ammo for it).

That said the c clip is a whole lot of trouble to get hold of. I believe it requires all the autopsies right? That is really bad imho. I can understand the theory behind it but....By the time you do this there is no reason to have the c clips. You might want to adjust the path a bit. It would make an excelent decision making tool:
Use the stun bombs/grenades who are aoe and cost elerium or use the less expensive and single target rifle?

BTW I assume the new version is ok with the old versions saves right?

• Added scatter ammo made from Alien Alloys (it isn't visible in the Ufopaedia, because it's the fourth ammo type and only three are allowed).

You might want to do it the way the autocannon does it for example. A new entry directly after the cannons specs. Or the plasma weapon clips.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 02:53:33 pm by pilot00 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1291 on: April 14, 2015, 03:09:33 pm »
I believe the intial stun damage is quite spot on. After all you dont want to make the stun rods obsolete by the get go. However there is...a mess? On how to progress up the cycle to get the second clip. I know it unlocks with autopsies but I dont know if there are any specific needed or a tottal number accumulated?

A few specific autopsies, I don't think it is possible to do otherwise. But I might make it a bit easier, like "either Sectoid or Floater AND either Snakeman or Muton", for example.

That said the c clip is a whole lot of trouble to get hold of. I believe it requires all the autopsies right? That is really bad imho. I can understand the theory behind it but....By the time you do this there is no reason to have the c clips. You might want to adjust the path a bit.

I think you're right... I guess I'll use some alternative sources too. But you'll still need several autopsies, including high-level aliens.

BTW I assume the new version is ok with the old versions saves right?

Yeah, probably. :)

You might want to do it the way the autocannon does it for example. A new entry directly after the cannons specs. Or the plasma weapon clips.

I don't really like it, but I guess I'll have to.

Thanks for the feedback!

And thanks for the bug hunting, Buscher.

BTW has anyone found the new ship/mission? I know it can't be missed. ;)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 14, 2015, 03:26:05 pm »
I think you're right... I guess I'll use some alternative sources too. But you'll still need several autopsies, including high-level aliens.

It doesnt have to be easy, just to get out from the "Ok, I researched it, but it has no value in this game phase" area.

Another question: Are there any after effects from Ignoring MIB missions (except the score loss)? Like the Alien infiltration for example has a permenent effect.

I very much liked the implementation of the MIB base mission, very nice execution. Their commanders are really tough b#*&^@#s and they dont want to stay down if stunned :D

Online robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: April 14, 2015, 03:39:11 pm »
Hey Solarius,
I checked a FMP-enabled terror mission against antrhopods (I think it was Jstank let's play) and I noticed that spitters' have their own death scream and hatching sound, replaced by some default death scream. Now, the death scream being replaced isn't a problem (use what you like of course!), but the hatching sound (which is used upon death by the spitter variant that "resurrects") being replaced by a death scream doesn't sound right, since what you see is the shell cracking and the (now shell-less) spitter sneaking out (instead of him dying).

(Maybe just by looking at the anthropod mod ruleset it isn't so clear: the are 4 spitter variants: vanilla, retract, retres, and naked. The "naked" is what the "retres" variant leaves behind when it is killed, exactly like a chryssalid spawns out of a zombie. But in case of the "retres" spitter, the death animation shows just the shell breaking and the slug inside coming out of it unscratched; this is to give the illusion that your hit only broke the shell of the creature instead of killing it and spawning a new one; when this happen it should play the "hatching" sound instead of a death cry).

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: April 14, 2015, 03:46:17 pm »
BTW I upgraded successfully, so can confirm: No saves were hurt durring the update :P

The only thing that happens, is that for some reason, Gauss, Plasma, Fusion and Laser weapons as well as the alloy scatter need to be researhed again even though you have access to them already. Wonky but I dont think it causes problems.

EDIT: One thing I noticed about the Alien drones (the hybrid terror weapon): It can be stunned and it panics, dont know if this is intentional but its supposed to be a mechanical unit right?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:41:40 am by pilot00 »

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 15, 2015, 11:24:23 am »
Quick note, capturing a Sectoid guardian crashes the game. Ending the mission with everything dead is fine.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 15, 2015, 12:44:05 pm »
It doesnt have to be easy, just to get out from the "Ok, I researched it, but it has no value in this game phase" area.

Yeah, though in this case it boils down to the same thing. :)

Another question: Are there any after effects from Ignoring MIB missions (except the score loss)? Like the Alien infiltration for example has a permenent effect.

Not really, but the score loss for MiB bases are so debilitating you can't ignore them. ( I mean losing a four-digit number of points over a month.)

I very much liked the implementation of the MIB base mission, very nice execution. Their commanders are really tough b#*&^@#s and they dont want to stay down if stunned :D

It's mostly Robin's work. :) I only added dogs, sectopods and power armours.

Hey Solarius,
I checked a FMP-enabled terror mission against antrhopods (I think it was Jstank let's play) and I noticed that spitters' have their own death scream and hatching sound, replaced by some default death scream. Now, the death scream being replaced isn't a problem (use what you like of course!), but the hatching sound (which is used upon death by the spitter variant that "resurrects") being replaced by a death scream doesn't sound right, since what you see is the shell cracking and the (now shell-less) spitter sneaking out (instead of him dying).

(Maybe just by looking at the anthropod mod ruleset it isn't so clear: the are 4 spitter variants: vanilla, retract, retres, and naked. The "naked" is what the "retres" variant leaves behind when it is killed, exactly like a chryssalid spawns out of a zombie. But in case of the "retres" spitter, the death animation shows just the shell breaking and the slug inside coming out of it unscratched; this is to give the illusion that your hit only broke the shell of the creature instead of killing it and spawning a new one; when this happen it should play the "hatching" sound instead of a death cry).

First of all, I'm honoured that you checked out the FMP. :) Much of its best qualities are taken from your mods.

As for the screams... yeah, sopunds like a bug to be investigated.
Speaking of Spitters, I also made all types leave a single Geoscape body, because seeing four different Spitter Corpse items on the selling list was a bit jarring.

BTW I upgraded successfully, so can confirm: No saves were hurt durring the update :P

The only thing that happens, is that for some reason, Gauss, Plasma, Fusion and Laser weapons as well as the alloy scatter need to be researhed again even though you have access to them already. Wonky but I dont think it causes problems.

Huh. Weird. :)

EDIT: One thing I noticed about the Alien drones (the hybrid terror weapon): It can be stunned and it panics, dont know if this is intentional but its supposed to be a mechanical unit right?

Funny as it is, I think it shouldn't do that. :)

Quick note, capturing a Sectoid guardian crashes the game. Ending the mission with everything dead is fine.

Where the hell did you find a Sectoid Guardian? O_o They're not supposed to appear in this game at all! (Not assigned to any mission yet, though the unit is there in the data.) But I'll fix it.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 15, 2015, 03:23:43 pm »

Where the hell did you find a Sectoid Guardian? O_o They're not supposed to appear in this game at all! (Not assigned to any mission yet, though the unit is there in the data.) But I'll fix it.

Speaking of which I found a Muton Pretorian (nice graphics BTW). But so far (I am in mission), got it stunned and it works without problems.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 15, 2015, 03:29:03 pm »
Speaking of which I found a Muton Pretorian (nice graphics BTW). But so far (I am in mission), got it stunned and it works without problems.

Yeah, they've been in the game for some time. (I think the sprites were made by XOps, though I'd have to check when I'm at home.) Sectoid Guardians, on the other hand, are not supposed to appear at all - I intend to use them on Mars when it's technically doable, but they're not really finished. (And they are by XOps too, if I'm not mistaken.)

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 15, 2015, 03:34:39 pm »
Yeah, they've been in the game for some time. (I think the sprites were made by XOps, though I'd have to check when I'm at home.) Sectoid Guardians, on the other hand, are not supposed to appear at all - I intend to use them on Mars when it's technically doable, but they're not really finished. (And they are by XOps too, if I'm not mistaken.)

What about Muton guardians?I run on one too. I am currently in a crashed battleship mission.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 15, 2015, 04:42:39 pm »
What about Muton guardians?I run on one too. I am currently in a crashed battleship mission.

Yeah it's all good. Sectoid Guardians are the only rogue race that shouldn't appear in the game. Yet.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: April 15, 2015, 05:34:47 pm »
Yeah it's all good. Sectoid Guardians are the only rogue race that shouldn't appear in the game. Yet.

Ok. Seems its not a random occurance though. I just shot down (destroyed though) A UFO which the decoder identified the race as sectoid guard.

And another thingie you might want to check the UFOpedia toxic suit armor entry. You get the STR_TOXI_SUIT_UFOPEDIA as a description.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 15, 2015, 08:54:36 pm »

That's.... actually a good question. There's nothing triggering them in the actual ruleset, but they showed up anyway, in a fighter craft. I'll keep an eye out, but I suspect it might be a game bug.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1303 on: April 16, 2015, 01:28:07 am »
Maybe a retal mission? This is the usual suspect in such a case.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 18, 2015, 12:51:05 pm »
You reworked the Cydonia mission, didnt you, you naughty person :P

My psi-freak squad is crying!