Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580248 times)

Offline Buscher

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #1110 on: March 14, 2015, 10:17:45 pm »
I have been enjoying the FMP thoroughly lately after I got an itch for my X-COM fix. I am not done yet but it's great fun. It makes for a nice expansion pack for the original UFO EU. And I thought I should give some Feedback. Perhaps you see something you deem worthwhile to change. Of course it is hard to read up in a mega thread on whether something was discussed already. So bear with me and my wall of text grouped in spoilers.

Also real spoilers ahead.

Starting Equipment

Spoiler:
The starting equipment gives a good number of options from the get go. It makes the beginning of the game less grenade spammy which I like very well. But there are few odd bits I want to comment on.

Assault Rifle vs Rifle
The assault rifle is too similar to the normal rifle for my liking. Especially as the AS is superior to the rifle in (almost) all aspects. With lower TU requirements and a higher auto-accuracy the AS is better while the rifle doesn't have a niche of its own. Switching the TU costs for the aimed shot between the AS and the rifle might make the latter viable as a marksman rifle. So it is kind of a sniper rifle with the possibility to use auto mode.

Machine Guns vs Miniguns
In my book the LMG and HMG are better than both miniguns. Or at least I can't work the miniguns properly due to the high accuracy drop-off. The bigger minigun is interesting but it can't match the HMG's accuracy which is the same over the entire map. I prefer the higher firepower of 8 shot compared to the 20 rounds fired by the bigger minigun. The LMG is in a good place being more of an automatic rifle and its lack of an aimed shot enforces it being used as a LMG.

Now if there was just a suppression mechanic...

Advanced Firearms

Spoiler:
Alloy Ammo
It greatly lengthens the lives of the ballistic weapons. Love that a lot. Considering that new weapon tech went far back, this is a great way to keep the standard equipment in the game. Especially the alloy ammo for the Heavy Cannon and the Auto Cannon is very strong. The Auto Cannon with AA ammo can replace the LMG for enemies with tougher armour and damage resistances.

Multilauncher, Flamethrower and Tactical Sniper Rifle
I don't really know when I should be using the Multilauncher. I am rather scared that the soldier is going to do more harm than good with the auto mode. And its too similar to the auto-cannon with HE ammo which I am also not using except for destroying foliage perhaps.

At least the flamethrower seems to be a good idea for cleaning out rooms in an UFO with a hazmat suit on. I haven't tried that yet but it seems to be an intelligent move.

The tactical sniper rifle is also an odd weapon I am not sure what to do with. It's way lighter than the HMG but the HMG is accurate enough, shoots 8 times destroying cover up to the target and it manages to kill the target as well. The HMG also has almost the damage and only takes a bit more TU. For a stationary shooter I'd prefer the HMG, assuming my soldier can carry it.

Comparing the TSR to the normal sniper rifle, the TSR's high TU costs and the lower aimed accuracy, despite the ufopaedia stating otherwise, it loses too much mobility for what I perceive as too little gain. As long the rocket launcher has better TU requirements with more fire power I don't really see the TSR's niche as another static weapon. Perhaps giving the TSR a viable snap shot costing 55% TU with an accuracy of 100% or something might allow it to be more interesting.

Ballistic Vest
Spoiler:
The ballistic vest is way too expensive for a not so decent armour that has to be replaced each time a soldier dies. I suppose being able to repair armour is something you want to keep for the higher level armour pieces, as they require a specific manufacture process. But the vest should be made more viable IMHO. The only screw to turn seems to be its cost. The cost of the ballistic vest should be way lower than the cost to the hire a soldier serving as a human shield. Something along the price of the hazmat might do it. Perhaps $12 000 could be an okay price for helping the more important soldiers to survive. Then I might even consider buying it. But I can't imagine it to become a standard issued piece of equipment even then, especially when you are still struggling for money. The alloy vest on the other hand replaces what the personal armour is in stock as an easily replaced piece of equipment. Thinking about it, the personal armour should perhaps cost more money and production time than to manufacture an alloy vest. The personal armour is repairable so in the long run you will save money and resources either way.

Improved Interceptor
Spoiler:
The Raven is pretty much broken in my mind. It is way better than a interceptor which is fine, but it uses standard fuel and it has no monthly fee! The lack of a monthly fee greatly eases the economic decisions in the game. I am running with 10+ Ravens which would cost me 6 million dollars a month if they were interceptors. At least give them some sort of rental fee for the fuel and maintenance. Part of the maintenance can be argued by replacing the engines and anything that is not necessarily made with the alien alloys. I still didn't bother to research the next interceptor.

Also I haven't lost a Raven yet when tackling battleships. Considering that I am using 4 Ravens for the battleship which are equipped with 1 Avalanche and 1 Stingray each, I would have lost plenty of interceptors by now. There have been a few close calls though. The Raven requires ages to be repaired but still perhaps toning down the max health from 350 to 250 might also bring the Raven in line and I would be scared of Battleships again.

Research Tree
Spoiler:
I like that it takes longer to research useful technologies such as the personal armour and the laser weapons. What bothered me was that Gauss and laser weapons became available at the same time. It was a no brainer really to go for laser weapons. A different damage type and ammoless weapons while not sacrificing (too much) damage potential is too hard to pass up. To make Gauss more viable, E115 should be a research requisite for laser weapons. Especially as you need it for manufacture the laser weapons and it hardly makes sense that you can use a power source that you hardly know anything about. On the other hand it would be highly entertaining if the laser weapons could go haywire because the E115 is acting up. Either by jamming or blowing up in one's face.

Perhaps the MiB laser weapons could be its own tier before you get the actual laser weapons? ... I just realized that it takes Elerium for its clips while them doing less damage than the X-COM laser weapons. Removing the necessity of E115 for manufacturing the clips might make the MiB laser weapons a viable option. Unless they are supposed to be similar to the AK47 in such a way that they aren't intended to be used by X-COM but by the opposition instead.

Maps
Spoiler:
It's great to play on more varied maps. The only issue I take with is that some maps don't contain the (shot down) UFO. The first time I met the hybrids in their vans I had thought that it was the clean-up crew recovering the aliens and their UFO. Therefore I had assumed that the map was replaced with these vans. But going at a landed or freshly shot-down non-van convoy UFO thing with the aliens being around but the UFO not, it starts to gnaw on my nerves :p. Especially if one plays with aliens weapons being destroyed on death, the economic impact is being increased. And if the UFO is supposed to have self-destructed, it would ease my mind by visiting a huge crater instead of a bunch of idyllic farm houses.

I don't know if "Fixed the bug with UFO not appearing on some terror maps." is related to this point. For reference I started with 0.9.8, updated to 0.9.9 and I am running on the OpenXCOM build compiled on Feb 15th. And the farm houses are one of the new terrain sets that have new houses. I can take a screenshot if you like.

Aliens & UFOs
Spoiler:
I love the variation I have seen so far and some aliens also seem like they have found their niche. If only I wasn't facing mostly floaters for 6 months straight. Perhaps mixed crews would be a great thing, assuming it's not a feature for later yet.

Also like always in X-COM some UFOs hardly show up. For example that very large science vessel with that special Sectoid should show up more than once till August in Superhuman. And I only have seen the MiB once. Perhaps I have tough luck in that regard. So far I have been mainly fighting the small Y and + shaped UFOs, as well as terror and battle ships.

What's interesting is that the FMP seems to have added new alien missions such as "Alien Flyby". It would be amazing if less common UFOs would be picked by these missions. Perhaps special missions can be created for the less common vessels? "Aggressive Research" starting with an abductor instead of a large scout. Would that make sense?

Also these small fighter UFOs are a bitch to dogfight. They keep escaping very early and very often. Which is cool as it requires different tactics for them and even if it's only using the Avalanche in aggressive mode.

The only thing I wish is that the hybrids in the van missions were actually a threat. Except for the RPG they have a hard time doing anything to your troops once you have some armour. Same with the spitter terrorist.
As for the spitter terrorist, it frightened me a helluva lot when I saw it doing its thing after being shot at long enough. Same feelings during the first encounter with a Cerebreal. I guess you can tell now what I was exactly afraid of.

As for the hybrid van "UFOs". Could a different (new) UFO picture be shown instead of the abductor's picture? Since it only moves with 500 speed units, one can tell them apart easily enough. But it would be nice if one could do so during interception as well.

Misc
Spoiler:
And now for some random questions:

Is there a reason for the ship rail cannon not requiring E115 during manufacture while the rail gun tank does? Otherwise it makes for a great money maker.

Is FMP supposed to be played with psionic line of fire? The Cerebreal kinda suggests it.

Would it be possible to add a line to each weapons' description about its weight and when the accuracy begins to drop off?
And in the same vein the autopsy reports could state the percents for damage reduction rates. It might be a bit gamey but then nobody would have to dive into the ruleset if one wants to know.

I hope that feedback is of some use. And good job for getting through all of this.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1111 on: March 14, 2015, 10:44:20 pm »
First of all, many thanks for the extensive review, Buscher. Some of your ideas were similar to the direction I took recently, while others inspired me to make some additional adjustments. I'm not prepared to comment on everything right now, the new version will speak for itself; I'll just say that the hybrid convoys are not supposed to be ships at all, just the vans (an immovable location on the map), and hopefully I'll get it to work as intended.

Now, for the announcement:

Version 1.0 is here!

(It's sort of beta, but I believe it shouldn't burn down your house.)

Additions:
  • Added Juggernaut Suit (rough shape mostly by Dioxine, worked on by Solarius Scorch,
  • hopefully will be improved).
  • Added Toxi Suit (by trollworkout, slightly altered by Solarius Scorch).
  • Added some Alien Base mapblocks by Luke83 and Hellrazor.
  • Added a new alien weapon, Alien Laser Rifle (stolen from "War of Shadows" by jackstraw2323).
  • Added Light Pistol (stolen from Dioxine's "Piratez" mod).
  • Added some Ufopaedia descriptions.
  • Added many new terrains by Hobbes.
  • New Grenade Launcher sprite (by Dioxine).

Changes:
  • Better Excavator map (by Dioxine).
  • Increased the number of item levels in deployments from 4 to 5.
  • Gave plasma weapons some range limits (it's plasma after all).
  • Increased SMG autofire accuracy.
  • Increased the Battleship map, because it was too easy to storm.
  • Better Flamethrower and Flamethrower Tank sprites (by Gifty and Dioxine).
  • Recoloured Armored Vest sprites by Dioxine, because he said they sucked dick.
  • Moved armour adaptation and repair to a new "Maintenance" category.
  • Snubnose is 1x1 now (and also sprite enhanced by Dioxine, at my request).
  • Rebalanced all sniper rifles to make them fire for more TUs.
  • Complicated research a little.
  • Rearranged the Ufopaedia.
  • Rearranged starting soldier positions in Ironfist, now the last two men are positioned next to the ladder in the back (code credits: Dioxine).
  • Rifle fires faster in Aimed mode.
  • Armoured Vest is way cheaper.
  • Decreased Raven's max health.

Fixes:
  • Fixed the bug with some railguns not requiring Elerium to produce.
  • Added missing listOrder for the Synthsuit production.
  • Fixed a crash when using the Rail Cannon.
  • Fixed UFO not appearing on Native terrain.
  • Aliens of the same race now should leave only one corpse type.
  • Removed the "Alien Raid" mission.
  • Fixed (hopefully) convoy trajectories.

Starting a new game is not necessary, but recommended in order to avoid weird research effects.

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: March 14, 2015, 11:37:27 pm »
Yay, new FMP version!
By the way, can I suggest grabbing Dioxine`s Gauss Craft Cannon image for Ufopedia? Current one is somewhat ugly, imo, and both Gauss and Railgun craft weapon have the same image.

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: March 15, 2015, 12:15:42 am »
Solarius Scorch, I'm sorry but as far as I can see you haven't used my translation of the modpack in Russian. Was it intentional or did you forget about it :)? None the less I'll translate the new version of the pack and I'll try to make all of the needed changes in accordance with the 1.0 version.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: March 15, 2015, 12:53:06 am »
1.0!  Trying it out now!

Slight capitalization error prevents the ruleset from being loaded on Linux:

line 27940 Toxisuit -> ToxiSuit (in the pathname)

Also line 28000 Handob_BlasterBomb -> HandOb_BlasterBomb
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:01:48 am by myk002 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: March 15, 2015, 08:50:00 am »
Yay, new FMP version!
By the way, can I suggest grabbing Dioxine`s Gauss Craft Cannon image for Ufopedia? Current one is somewhat ugly, imo, and both Gauss and Railgun craft weapon have the same image.

I kind of forgot about it. Yeah, I'll have a look.

Solarius Scorch, I'm sorry but as far as I can see you haven't used my translation of the modpack in Russian. Was it intentional or did you forget about it :)? None the less I'll translate the new version of the pack and I'll try to make all of the needed changes in accordance with the 1.0 version.

Yes please. And yeah, I forgot, plus I have several people offering Russian translations and it's hard to choose. :)

1.0!  Trying it out now!

Slight capitalization error prevents the ruleset from being loaded on Linux:

line 27940 Toxisuit -> ToxiSuit (in the pathname)

Also line 28000 Handob_BlasterBomb -> HandOb_BlasterBomb

Thanks, fixing now.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: March 15, 2015, 04:59:41 pm »
So, I am trying to upgrade to FMP v1.0 and it looks quite OK. I have a few questions and some feedback though:

1. There are now no cities in Antarctica again and I still have a terror mission there. This time the game however doesn't crash... instead the terror UFO lands! Is this a new feature in OpenXcom or in FMP?

2. I think you have a problem in ruleset... you gave aimRange to plasma pistol clip instead of plasma pistol weapon... I may be wrong though, I'm a ruleset newb ;-)

3. I am trying to research some new stuff to catch up with changes and when I research Alloy Blades I get description of Alloy Knife instead... in UFOpedia I can still find also the correct article.

4. At the end of the month, my game crashed again :-( However it looks like it was because it generated (for the 3rd time in a row lol !!!) Alien Raid mission, which was removed... after I removed it from my save, it works fine again.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: March 15, 2015, 06:28:30 pm »
1. There are now no cities in Antarctica again and I still have a terror mission there. This time the game however doesn't crash... instead the terror UFO lands! Is this a new feature in OpenXcom or in FMP?

I have no idea. It could be some other terror type or whatever else. I'd have to investigate the save to know.

2. I think you have a problem in ruleset... you gave aimRange to plasma pistol clip instead of plasma pistol weapon... I may be wrong though, I'm a ruleset newb ;-)

Heh, my bad. It was a quick job. :)

3. I am trying to research some new stuff to catch up with changes and when I research Alloy Blades I get description of Alloy Knife instead... in UFOpedia I can still find also the correct article.

That's why I separated the Alloy Blades research topic from the knife... to avoid what you've just described. Is it a new game? If not, then it's normal to have glitches like this one.

4. At the end of the month, my game crashed again :-( However it looks like it was because it generated (for the 3rd time in a row lol !!!) Alien Raid mission, which was removed... after I removed it from my save, it works fine again.

Yeah. I predicted this. :P

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: March 15, 2015, 11:59:29 pm »
1. This post might be related too: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3489.msg41036.html#msg41036

Save attached, mission appears on 20th of March... I use current nightly (13.3.2015) and FMP 1.0

3. Also visible in the same save. It's not a new game, just upgrade.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: March 17, 2015, 08:30:51 am »
I got a crash when loading a MIB mission for the following landed ufo:
Code: [Select]
ufos:
  - speedRadian: 0
    speed: 0
    type: STR_MANSION_MIB
    id: 23
    landId: 19
    damage: 0
    altitude: STR_GROUND
    direction: STR_NONE_UC
    detected: true
    secondsRemaining: 24860
    mission: 5
    trajectory: H0
    trajectoryPoint: 1
    fireCountdown: 0
    escapeCountdown: 667
    lon: 0.4209732067627345
    lat: -0.8224758757858442
    speedLon: -0
    speedLat: -0
    dest:
      lon: 0.1892239788352116
      lat: -0.8534960278196091
      type: STR_WAYPOINT
      id: 0
I'll compile a debug binary to see if I can get a useful backtrace.  The code is current as of 2015 March 16.

edit: here's the backtrace:
#0  0x00000000009a8814 in OpenXcom::AlienDeployment::getDimensions (this=0x0, width=0x7fffffffd208, length=0x7fffffffd20c, height=0x7fffffffd210) at /home/myk/src/openxcom/src/Ruleset/AlienDeployment.cpp:180
#1  0x0000000000721c17 in OpenXcom::BattlescapeGenerator::run (this=0x7fffffffd1c0) at /home/myk/src/openxcom/src/Battlescape/BattlescapeGenerator.cpp:336
#2  0x00000000008876d4 in OpenXcom::ConfirmLandingState::btnYesClick (this=0x59a3700) at /home/myk/src/openxcom/src/Geoscape/ConfirmLandingState.cpp:165
#3  0x00000000007c7a44 in OpenXcom::InteractiveSurface::mouseClick (this=0x5a0abe0, action=0x7fffffffd440, state=0x59a3700) at /home/myk/src/openxcom/src/Engine/InteractiveSurface.cpp:306
#4  0x00000000007c7451 in OpenXcom::InteractiveSurface::handle (this=0x5a0abe0, action=0x7fffffffd440, state=0x59a3700) at /home/myk/src/openxcom/src/Engine/InteractiveSurface.cpp:185
#5  0x00000000007af5a4 in OpenXcom::State::handle (this=0x59a3700, action=0x7fffffffd440) at /home/myk/src/openxcom/src/Engine/State.cpp:228
#6  0x00000000007bf2d7 in OpenXcom::Game::run (this=0x4e9dbe0) at /home/myk/src/openxcom/src/Engine/Game.cpp:236
#7  0x0000000000666e08 in main (argc=3, argv=0x7fffffffd738) at /home/myk/src/openxcom/src/main.cpp:68

It seems that the following line in BattlescapeGenerator.cpp is returning null:
AlienDeployment *ruleDeploy = _game->getRuleset()->getDeployment(_ufo?_ufo->getRules()->getType():_save->getMissionType());

Some hopefully helpful context:
(gdb) print _ufo->getRules()->getType()
$1 = "STR_MANSION_MIB"

(gdb) print _game->getRuleset()._alienDeployments
$4 = std::map with 29 elements = {["STR_ABDUCTOR"] = 0x7fffdc208580, ["STR_ALIEN_BASE_ASSAULT"] = 0x7fffdc210ba0, ["STR_BASE_DEFENSE"] = 0x7fffdc212bd0, ["STR_BATTLESHIP"] = 0x7fffdc20b7c0, ["STR_EXCAVATOR"] = 0x7fffdf17f300,
  ["STR_FIGHTER_SHIP"] = 0x7fffdf180bf0, ["STR_HARVESTER"] = 0x7fffdc180f50, ["STR_KEEP"] = 0x7fffdf164b20, ["STR_LAB_SHIP"] = 0x7fffdf1844d0, ["STR_LARGE_SCOUT"] = 0x7fffdc17fa10, ["STR_MANSION"] = 0x7fffdf160e80,
  ["STR_MARS_CYDONIA_LANDING"] = 0x7fffdc2156d0, ["STR_MARS_THE_FINAL_ASSAULT"] = 0x7fffdc217000, ["STR_MEDIUM_GROUND_CONVOY"] = 0x7fffdf15eae0, ["STR_MEDIUM_SCOUT"] = 0x7fffdc11cba0, ["STR_MIB_BASE_LANDING"] = 0x7fffdf190ee0,
  ["STR_MIB_COVERUP_0"] = 0x7fffdf185320, ["STR_MIB_COVERUP_1"] = 0x7fffdf188fa0, ["STR_MIB_COVERUP_2"] = 0x7fffdf18b7e0, ["STR_MIB_TERROR_MISSION"] = 0x7fffdf18dff0, ["STR_PORT_ATTACK"] = 0x7fffdf1778b0,
  ["STR_RAIDER_SHIP"] = 0x7fffdf192d50, ["STR_SENTRY_SHIP"] = 0x7fffdf182470, ["STR_SMALL_GROUND_CONVOY"] = 0x7fffdf15cd40, ["STR_SMALL_SCOUT"] = 0x7fffdc11bd70, ["STR_SUPPLY_SHIP"] = 0x7fffdc20d710,
  ["STR_TERROR_MISSION"] = 0x7fffdc20f040, ["STR_TERROR_SHIP"] = 0x7fffdc209ae0, ["_MIB"] = 0x7fffdf163f60}
So STR_MANSION_MIB is not in the deployments map.  Could it be that the "_MIB" one is a typo and it should be "STR_MANSION_MIB" on line 34367 of FinalModPack.rul?

Edit: Not sure if it's appropriate, but changing "_MIB" to "STR_MANSION_MIB" in FinalModPack.rul does fix the issue.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:22:15 am by myk002 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: March 17, 2015, 03:54:54 pm »
Edit: Not sure if it's appropriate, but changing "_MIB" to "STR_MANSION_MIB" in FinalModPack.rul does fix the issue.

Yeah, it's a typical (but deadly) problem. Thanks for tracking it down.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: March 17, 2015, 09:22:28 pm »
n/p, and I must say, the mansion MIB map is awesome : )  On superhuman, it was an incredibly intense firefight, especially with tech-free starter weapons.

I ran into another glitch -- an enemy sub just landed in the middle of the ocean between Africa and South America.  I'm posting this here because other posts indicate it's a mod problem, not an engine problem.

The ufos entry looks strange to me, but that might just be because I don't understand the intricacies of what's going on:
ufos:
  - speedRadian: 0
    speed: 0
    type: STR_TERROR_SHIP
    landId: 22
    id: 28
    damage: 0
    altitude: STR_GROUND
    direction: STR_NONE_UC
    detected: true
    secondsRemaining: 37610
    mission: 6
    trajectory: P7
    fireCountdown: 0
    trajectoryPoint: 4
    escapeCountdown: 0
    lon: 5.759586531581287
    lat: 0.3577924966588375
    dest:
      lon: 4.785814574182172
      lat: -0.3854424676221793
      type: STR_WAYPOINT
      id: 0
    speedLon: -0
    speedLat: -0

What is a terror ship doing at a waypoint instead of a terror site?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 09:35:15 pm by myk002 »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: March 17, 2015, 09:56:03 pm »
Hi Solarius

3. so that bug with UFOpedia entry of Alloy Knife showing when research of Alloy Blades is finished also happens when I start a completely new game... definitely worth having a look at

1. there is indeed a problem with terror missions... and also some other missions after nightly build from March 3rd... since FMP 1.0 says it requires nighly from March 4th (i.e. even newer), a fix for various missions is required.

I have posted a partial fix for some missions (incl. terror site) on the other thread (mentioned above)... but MIB, Hybrid and other new missions may require a fix too.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: March 18, 2015, 01:37:02 am »
Version 1.0.1 is up! But it's just a fix. Credits go to all the bug crunchers.

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: March 18, 2015, 03:47:05 am »
Nice!  Thanks for the quick update!

The blaster bomb capitalization is still a problem (line 28010), though:
Handob_BlasterBomb.png -> HandOb_BlasterBomb.png