aliens

Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580199 times)

Offline Bfox

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #525 on: August 19, 2014, 06:46:10 am »
Need to lodge an issue with the cyberdisc mod/research in general.

I'm playing a game on ironman/superman and I just got the cyberdisc plasma platform.  I happily made it thinking it would help me take out aliens even better than my old tank/laser however I remembered how poorly it went when I made the laser cyberdisc.

These things are so weak that it's ridiculous not only that the worst thing that could happen happened. 

https://imgur.com/BVsI6EE

Disaster.

So here's the backstory;
 - Mission start, move cyberdisc out MiB agent reaction shot lands cyberdisc implodes with one f**king shot
 - I laugh at my misfortune thinking it couldn't happen twice
 - Move out my next cyberdisc and it is once again reactioned on and after one hit explodes killing my entire team all my armor and weapons
https://imgur.com/wM2kmOY

- Leaving me with 3 squaddies to clean up

https://i.imgur.com/UTxFxcu.png

Here's my problem why is the cyberdisc so f**king weak? It's alien technology refurbished yet our human tanks can take 10x the beating and they don't implode and murder any nearby friendly's to make matters worse.

This really need to be rebalanced they need equal armor to tanks or more to be a viable asset.  Not to mention it takes a cyberdisc corpse to make these and they havn't been around in my game since the first 3 months so I have no way to farm them back.

This is a huge balance issue in my opinion and needs to be looked at.

A double-edged sword should not be so easily taken down.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:57:56 am by Bfox »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #526 on: August 19, 2014, 07:54:25 am »
The Cyberdisc is exactly the same as its alien counterpart. After all, this is the same thing, just reprogrammed. Yeah, it's not too badass, but I can't make it any better without compromising logic.

As for the hybrid crash, I'll certainly look at it within 48 hours.

Offline Bfox

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 19, 2014, 08:11:25 am »
Figured that would be the response sorry for over-reacting but it is painful to lose your entire squad to that.
Shouldn't they at least be able to take more than one hit? Or at least disable the huge explosion it does if that's even possible?

It just seems kind of silly to use something that has a chance to kill your entire crew if you get unlucky.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 19, 2014, 08:17:42 am »
Figured that would be the response sorry for over-reacting but it is painful to lose your entire squad to that.
Shouldn't they at least be able to take more than one hit? Or at least disable the huge explosion it does if that's even possible?

It just seems kind of silly to use something that has a chance to kill your entire crew if you get unlucky.

Well, in the original game you could easily be killed by a Blaster Bomb after your first turn... This is not the case in Openxcom, but it's still a mean game, and that's why we love it. :q

But more constructively, I think it's mostly a matter of tactics. The Cyberdisc is not a tank, rather a flying heavy weapon platform. Since you're using an Avenger (and most people will have Avenger or at least Ironfist by the time they employ Cyberdiscs), you have some freedom in what goes out first.. So you don't have to expose your Cyberdisc to too much danger. With Skyrangers it's not so easy of course.

Offline Day

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: August 20, 2014, 11:57:12 am »
Hi guys :-)

french newbie here.
First, let me thank the openxcom devs, i am amazed of the game quality :-)
Next, kudos to the FMP team, it certainly add great flavour :-p

I'm playing it for two weeks now and like it a lot. It's the 0.7 version.
I'm a fan of the small launcher and the stun bombs, and never saw them appear in the research; so I went to look into the FMP ruleset.
The string defining the launcher is botched (spaces and no STR_ at the beginning).

Hope this helps you :-)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: August 20, 2014, 12:06:14 pm »
Hi Day, welcome to the forums!

(Did you know that FMP at first stood for French Mod Pack? :)) )

Anyway, thanks for the message, but I think I fixed this long ago - it's 0.9 now, and it looks fine to me.

Offline Day

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: August 20, 2014, 12:28:33 pm »
Hi Solarius, thank you :-)

Oh yes, that's right, I read that somewhere. Well, if you're in Paris, I owe you a beer :D

Hmm, ok I'll do an update; thanks :-)

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: August 21, 2014, 07:21:43 am »
Hmm. After a couple of games {and some ruleset digging}, I think I've figured out what it is that frustrates me so much. Namely, that a lot of tech advances, even the crucial ones, are dependent on acquiring specific aliens. That, in turn, is dependent on the game's own whim - for example, you can't research power armor until you've researched the Cybermite, which only spawns with Anthropods, which in turn may or may not show up in the game at all, depending on how the game decides to roll the dice for active species. While, in theory, this can be circumvented by capturing various medics, those appear far too infrequently to be a practical solution.

So, my suggestion would be to increase the frequency at which medics and engineers spawn in small ships, as those appear to be {intentionally or not?} the vast majority of craft that tend to spawn, replacing some of the navigators, especially as those are generally worthless when it comes to research. Keeping leaders limited to larger ships is still good, as they are guaranteed to spawn there.

Another option, though more labor-intensive, would be to adapt the tech tree to make use of "junk" rank aliens - researching a soldier, or navigator, for example, gives one free hidden prerequisite for one of the techs granted by other ranks. That way, quantity can become a quality, so even though the random chance of getting the kind of captures you want may or may not be on your side, investing into both capturing and researching enough of the ones that are guaranteed to spawn will eventually get you where you need to be.

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: August 21, 2014, 05:49:39 pm »
Some issues report: after unlocking the manufacture of the Hovertanks, they are available to be manufactured, and deplyed in the battlescape, but they don't show in the ufopedia... I think this has to do with the ufopedia section requisites: I read that "New Fighter Craft" is a requisite... This ufopedia requisite is different from the research requisite. Also in the same ufopedia section, the entry for the Hovertank Launcher seems to be incomplete, because it shows only the id line and nothing else...

Another problem: immediately after finishing the research on a captured "Hybrid Agent" alien, tha game crashes (The "view report" screen does not show before the program shuts down. If one has that alien unit "conained" in the base without researching on it, or while it is being researched, there seem to be no problem, the same when you sell that alien, there is no crash. But immediately after finishing the reserach, something cause the program to crash.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #534 on: August 21, 2014, 08:57:27 pm »
Most likely there isn't proper Pedia entry for the creature/race (depending where the research topics directs), or misplaced picture in said entry.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: August 21, 2014, 09:13:43 pm »
This part is missing from the research:

Code: [Select]
  - name: STR_HYBRID
    cost: 0
    needItem: true

I'll fix it tonight.

As for the alien interrogations, at this moment I do not plan any major changes to the tech tree... I am more thinking about making early game easier, but this requires some work.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 09:19:17 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline the_third_curry

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: August 22, 2014, 06:49:09 am »
Hey Solarius, congratulations on overtaking the project founder himself for most forum posts.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: August 22, 2014, 08:07:07 am »
Hey Solarius, congratulations on overtaking the project founder himself for most forum posts.

Thanks, but I'm only an administrator, he's the founder. :)

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: August 22, 2014, 03:30:00 pm »
i think he talked about SupSuper
you are a board administrator?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: August 22, 2014, 03:42:36 pm »
i think he talked about SupSuper
you are a board administrator?

I thought he meant Human Ktulu, who started the FMP...
...but I'm not so sure right now. :D