Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580888 times)

Offline gerv

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #435 on: August 08, 2014, 09:29:43 am »
Slightly off the precise topic, but: how does one install an updated version? Just unzip it on top again?

It would be awesome if OpenXcom had a mod system where mods could be placed in a self-contained folder, and a file defined whether any of the files therein replaced files from the base system. That would make adding and removing (and upgrading) mods much more of a simple process.

Gerv

Offline gerv

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 08, 2014, 11:11:24 am »
Also, given that this mod is quite complicated and very awesome, would it be heretical to suggest source control and a proper bug tracker, rather than an eternal forum thread? :-)

Gerv

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #437 on: August 08, 2014, 04:30:14 pm »
Slightly off the precise topic, but: how does one install an updated version? Just unzip it on top again?

Yeah, that will do it, though it's best to remove the old files first to ensure there are no remains clogging up your disc space.

It would be awesome if OpenXcom had a mod system where mods could be placed in a self-contained folder, and a file defined whether any of the files therein replaced files from the base system. That would make adding and removing (and upgrading) mods much more of a simple process.

This may happen with the upcoming revamped mod engine. I don't know how exactly it'll work yet.

Also, given that this mod is quite complicated and very awesome, would it be heretical to suggest source control and a proper bug tracker, rather than an eternal forum thread? :-)

I'll think about it, but frankly I don't know how to go about that at this point. :)

And now, for something completely different: I would also like to know if you like the Alloy Skyranger as it is, or should I rather substitute it with one of Aldorn's latest designs? https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2706.msg29153#msg29153
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 04:32:58 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Harald_Gray

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 08, 2014, 06:16:08 pm »
To be honest, I like the Skyranger's layout more. Maybe I'm simply more used to the Skyranger but the limited field of view from out of the Alloy Skyranger  is something I'm still uncomfortable with.

However, the thing that bugs me most is its name. It doesn't fit into the CRAFT column in the armor selection window and makes the whole row ugly. Truth is, I've actually shortened it in my copy of the mod.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 08, 2014, 06:17:44 pm »
I am partial to side doors - the ramp shooting gallery has been one of my pet peeves with UFO {as opposed to TFTD}, so I'd be in favor of those.

Offline BTLtu

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 08, 2014, 08:33:53 pm »
Hey, i can't get Alien weaponry technology research project, so no plasmas and fussion. In the picture provided in the first page of this thread says that Alien weaponry technology research should be available after any alien interrogation.

Any help would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:06:13 pm by BTLtu »

Offline gerv

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 08, 2014, 10:26:27 pm »
Yeah, that will do it, though it's best to remove the old files first to ensure there are no remains clogging up your disc space.

But that's the thing - how do I know which files are from the mod? (This is what I mean about using self-contained directories.)

I'll think about it, but frankly I don't know how to go about that at this point. :)

Github is fairly easy to use. If you need some help, I'd be glad to provide it.

Gerv

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 09, 2014, 12:24:24 am »
But that's the thing - how do I know which files are from the mod? (This is what I mean about using self-contained directories.)

Just go to Resources and delete the FinalModPack folder.

The ruleset file will be overwritten anyway, and maps/terrains... well, I don't know which are functional myself. :P (Probably some aren't.)

Github is fairly easy to use. If you need some help, I'd be glad to provide it.

I'll probably take you up on this offer. :)

Offline Lordprotector

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 09, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »
Yay! Good for you! :) Thanks.

Oh believe me Lordi, I can emphatize... I'm in July now and fighting Mutons is such a chore.

I looked at your save and you're making good progress, actually you're doing better than me! Congratulations on researching the Stun Bomb already, this should make things a bit easier.

As for dealing with tough alien races, well, there's no simple answer. I just wouldn't go against Ethereals yet, because you can't win and it's not obligatory anyway. If there's a terror, go there and immediately take off back to base - you'll get negative points, but not as many as if you weren't there at all. Against smaller teams, just do what you think you can; after all the X-Com project won't be terminated just because you ignored a crashed Large Scout.

Now, for laser weapons, you need: laser technology (which you already have), UFO Power Source and an Engineer. This will give you Power Source Miniaturization, which will power hand-held lasers and gauss weapons.
As for the plasma/fusion research, it requires interrogating a number of Engineers, Leaders or Commanders. You need specific techs out of a longish list, so it's a bit random when you get all plasma prerequisites. Use lasers/gauss for now. :)

Last tip: build laser tanks. They're way better against Mutons than AP ammunition.

Thank you for your reply. Good to know i'm not the only one fighting a hard game with the modifications used. But i'm enjoying it very much. Now i have Gauss weapons and tanks and they are a lot better against the Mutons than the alloy or normal weapons. :-)

Thank you for your tips. Please keep on your good work!

kind regards

Lordi

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 10, 2014, 02:23:48 am »
You're welcome. :)

Now, version 0.8 is up! There's actually quite a bit new stuff, but mainly:

• Added a new race, the Hybrids. This is actually a separate mod I'm making; it's sort of in beta, but finished enough to be released here. Inspired mostly by Hobbes' epic novel Phantom Menace, hybrids are half-alien agents who do intelligence work for the invaders. They use Earth weapons and are somewhat similar in concept to Robin's Men in Black. I added them mostly for fluff, but also to give you some easier enemies at the beginning of the game (though we'll see if they're actually easier!).
  • Added a new craft weapon called Stormlance Missile. Think Stingray that's stronger than Avalanche, based on fusion explosives. This was introduced to make craft weapon choice a bit more varied. (A new picture will probably be added, for now it's using the Stingray.)
  • Added Armoured Vest by Ryskeliini and Robin. It's useless against plasma, but may be useful against Hybrids and the MiB.
  • I made a bigob for the Scout Drone. It's not very cool, but it's better than nothing.
  • Hobbes' Terrain/Missions Pack was updated to the latest version.
  • Lasers require Elerium now to produce. Hate on! :P
  • Tougher aliens appear later. Because I can be merciful too.
  • Some cleanup of map files and listOrders.
  • Fixed case-sensitiveness and some other minor bugs.

Since I did a lot of rebalancing and added some significant new content, your feedback is even more appreciated than usual!

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
  • Wait I'm still here I swear
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 10, 2014, 03:51:15 am »
  • Lasers require Elerium now to produce. Hate on! :P
Looks like I'm not using FMP for my next playthrough.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 10, 2014, 04:09:12 am »
Well, you can always alter the ruleset.

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 10, 2014, 07:32:23 am »
I think it's a great idea. It fixes so many things.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 10, 2014, 11:28:23 am »
What's the problem with this? I always have thousands of units of Elerium spread through all my bases. It gets less cluttered when Plasma Cannon enters the scene, but I think there's still far too much Elerium.

Besides, you can use Gauss weapons.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:12:31 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 10, 2014, 03:56:04 pm »
More elrium.arrrgh i need a spacecontract with aliens to fight with others aliens. Or minning the moon in the future XD