Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1580198 times)

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #390 on: August 03, 2014, 04:57:27 pm »
In options have a option i remember better sprites or similar. This adjust the sprites to resolution try enable or disable it

Offline Lordprotector

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 03, 2014, 06:27:59 pm »
The Mod is great and i had fun to try the game with it again after a lot of years!

My beginner questions ist because after some month in game i encountered very powerful aliens and have nothing really to defend myself against them. There are mutons, Ethereal and Sectopods. I have no laser or plasma weapons against them. Only alloy improved ammunition and rocket launchers. I have researched a lot and captured a lot of aliens but now it seems the aliens are overpowered to me.

On what depends the higher aliens to appear? Research?

I have attached a savegame to show what i mean.

Help is always welcome.

kind regards,

Lordi

Offline RedRedSuit

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 03, 2014, 07:32:27 pm »
In options have a option i remember better sprites or similar. This adjust the sprites to resolution try enable or disable it

Unfortunately that did not fix it.

It looks like this person had exactly the same problem -- they seem to be running on Linux (also a Unix'y OS). 

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2160.msg23182#msg23182

Could it have something to do with Unix line endings or something along those lines?  What can we do to help fix it?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #393 on: August 03, 2014, 10:40:48 pm »
The Mod is great and i had fun to try the game with it again after a lot of years!

Yay! Good for you! :) Thanks.

My beginner questions is because after some month in game i encountered very powerful aliens and have nothing really to defend myself against them. There are mutons, Ethereal and Sectopods. I have no laser or plasma weapons against them. Only alloy improved ammunition and rocket launchers. I have researched a lot and captured a lot of aliens but now it seems the aliens are overpowered to me.

On what depends the higher aliens to appear? Research?

I have attached a savegame to show what i mean.

Help is always welcome.

kind regards,

Lordi

Oh believe me Lordi, I can emphatize... I'm in July now and fighting Mutons is such a chore.

I looked at your save and you're making good progress, actually you're doing better than me! Congratulations on researching the Stun Bomb already, this should make things a bit easier.

As for dealing with tough alien races, well, there's no simple answer. I just wouldn't go against Ethereals yet, because you can't win and it's not obligatory anyway. If there's a terror, go there and immediately take off back to base - you'll get negative points, but not as many as if you weren't there at all. Against smaller teams, just do what you think you can; after all the X-Com project won't be terminated just because you ignored a crashed Large Scout.

Now, for laser weapons, you need: laser technology (which you already have), UFO Power Source and an Engineer. This will give you Power Source Miniaturization, which will power hand-held lasers and gauss weapons.
As for the plasma/fusion research, it requires interrogating a number of Engineers, Leaders or Commanders. You need specific techs out of a longish list, so it's a bit random when you get all plasma prerequisites. Use lasers/gauss for now. :)

Last tip: build laser tanks. They're way better against Mutons than AP ammunition.

Offline Recruit69

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 03, 2014, 11:12:40 pm »
What game settings do you recommend for this mod? I.e. I cannot decide on whether alien bleeding should be suppressed or not.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 03, 2014, 11:25:48 pm »
What game settings do you recommend for this mod? I.e. I cannot decide on whether alien bleeding should be suppressed or not.

I use it; makes combat marginally easier, but live capture is way harder, so I think it makes the game harder overall.

I can go through options one by one, but they're mostly neutral to the FMP, so I'll only list the ones I think are relevant:

canManufactureMoreItemsPerHour: ON. Some stuff builds fast, mostly alloy clips.
alienBleeding: ON, like mentioned above. Mutons are almost impervious to small arms fire, but hitting them many times makes it possible to kill them through fatal wounds.
battleInstantGrenade: OFF. This is just lame and somewhat invalidates Grenade Launchers.
battleUFOExtenderAccuracy: ON. This is quite important, as all weapons were balanced for this (though I guess you could play vanilla accuracy, but the game will be less detailed).
showMoreStatsInInventoryView: ON. Not vital, but will be of use when dealing with some armours which modify stats.
weaponSelfDestruction: OFF. This would make your game harder and also be quite silly.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 04, 2014, 01:17:04 am »
alienBleeding: ON, like mentioned above. Mutons are almost impervious to small arms fire, but hitting them many times makes it possible to kill them through fatal wounds.

The downside to this, however, can be that it will almost always lead to aliens who have been severely injured but stunned dying from fatal wounds. It's not something to rely on, but can be an useful situation when it comes up.

Side note, what's required for mind probe use?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 04, 2014, 01:36:43 am »
The downside to this, however, can be that it will almost always lead to aliens who have been severely injured but stunned dying from fatal wounds. It's not something to rely on, but can be an useful situation when it comes up.

Yeah, it makes the game harder in this regard. I just said so in the previous post. :)

Side note, what's required for mind probe use?

Alien Neuropsychology and Alien Optical Processor. Not that much if you have some luck with the interrogations.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 04, 2014, 01:50:12 am »
Got it. It should make it easier to pinpoint valuable targets.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 05, 2014, 08:09:04 pm »
One more question - is the tech tree diagram in the OP still valid, or has the mod changed any of it?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 05, 2014, 08:29:12 pm »
One more question - is the tech tree diagram in the OP still valid, or has the mod changed any of it?

It's completely outdated. :P

I'll make a new one... When I can...

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 05, 2014, 08:44:14 pm »
Cool. Actually, is there some kind of viewer I can use in the meantime? I could probably knock a diagram together if that's the case.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 05, 2014, 08:47:57 pm »
Cool. Actually, is there some kind of viewer I can use in the meantime? I could probably knock a diagram together if that's the case.

The agreed upon software for this would be Dia. It's not perfect, but it does its job, it's freeware, besides I don't know of anything better or even as good.

It would be cool if someone else did the diagram, the FMP team would really appreciate this. :)

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 05, 2014, 09:14:40 pm »
Ohhh. I mean the viewer for the tech tree code. Or, so as not to derail further, is there a thread that goes in depth about that aspect of modding?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 05, 2014, 09:25:29 pm »
Ohhh. I mean the viewer for the tech tree code. Or, so as not to derail further, is there a thread that goes in depth about that aspect of modding?