Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1603728 times)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #1725 on: July 05, 2015, 01:46:52 am »
IMO, it's mostly a challenge  of gameplay balance:
- If troops start too far from aliens, player systematically spends several minutes of game time just moving, with 1% chance of actually meeting an alien in the first turns.
- If troops start too close, tactic is severely hampered by how the soldiers are packed in the carrier and block each other. Player has to spam smoke and stall until the aliens fall one by one, it takes many turns until the last soldier can actually exit the transport. Aircraft with door is very unfair for aliens, aircraft without is very unfair for player.

Many turns? i am out of this coffin within on turn 2 lastyl on turn 3... No clue how you guys play.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: July 05, 2015, 02:53:22 am »
Many turns? i am out of this coffin within on turn 2 lastyl on turn 3... No clue how you guys play.
I play like you, and it works because as I said, Openxcom manages the balance rather well.
But if multiple aliens (especially chryssalids or cyberdiscs) are 10 steps from the ramp, you can't risk running straight into their arms through smoke, you have to at least kill one or two of the ones that you see from your starting position, to get some breathing room. Since only 2 or 4 soldiers are in shooting position, it can take quite a few turns, especially with smoke to stall.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1727 on: July 07, 2015, 06:29:23 pm »
I play like you, and it works because as I said, Openxcom manages the balance rather well.
But if multiple aliens (especially chryssalids or cyberdiscs) are 10 steps from the ramp, you can't risk running straight into their arms through smoke, you have to at least kill one or two of the ones that you see from your starting position, to get some breathing room. Since only 2 or 4 soldiers are in shooting position, it can take quite a few turns, especially with smoke to stall.

Well jeah waiting for the smoke can be tricky. I usually skip turn 1 if nothing is spotted without me moving any units. If i spot something it simply needs to die, even if this means disembarking fully on turn 1. Having preprimed Smoke Grenades in shoulder slots makes this tactic somewhat usable, since you can just drop the smoke grenade towards your feet, only costing you 4TU.

Chryssalids uhhhh.... let's say either you skip the mission of you go for it.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1728 on: July 07, 2015, 08:33:27 pm »
Chryssalids uhhhh.... let's say either you skip the mission of you go for it.

You're a true survivor! :)

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: July 10, 2015, 05:34:22 pm »
when a version of this mod with open xcom extended??? XD.....

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1730 on: July 10, 2015, 08:48:02 pm »
when a version of this mod with open xcom extended??? XD.....

Not at the moment. It's a lot of work and there's not much interest in it.

Offline chrysalidskilledmydog

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: July 14, 2015, 05:53:46 pm »
In the early part of the game (FMP), in a sectoid terror mission, how do i killed 10 cyberdiscs?

they are mostly immune to any projectile weapon, i need to use high explosive to reliably kill cyberdiscs, sometimes i have to use 2 or 3. they have extreme accuracy and firepower. i would be able to take our 7-8 but then i run out of weapons and guys before i could finish them all off. at this point i have no strong weapons that can effectively kill cyberdiscs.

help?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: July 14, 2015, 06:56:47 pm »
If you have soldiers with high accuracy, rocket launcher + large rockets, otherwise high explosives indeed. Early sectoid terrors are some of the worst. The difficulty level you pick also influences the number of aliens (along with their accuracy and resilience), so maybe dial it down a notch?

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: July 14, 2015, 07:27:08 pm »
well i went with genius difficulty (4) on my first few runs with ironman because i have played original x-com quite a bit and everything was fine until the terror missions. i killed a few cyberdiscs no problem with grenade and high explosive spam but they kept coming and i ran out.... afterwards i counted 10 cyberdiscs at least. im the original x-com, i would have laser pistol by the first terror mission and auto at close range with that is quite effective against the 3-4 cyberdiscs or so, also the high explosives are effective as well and only 30% of the first terror mission will be sectoid. however in FMP, you dont get any advanced weapons and you run into TEN cyberdiscs. only high explosive is effective against them and using high explosive is risky because it takes a lot of action point and only work at close range and you need high strength guy if you dont wanna blow yourself up. and if you prime the bomb and end turn and a random disc pop up and shoot the guy dead then good bye team. oh and occasionally a sectoid will throw a grenade at you.

i also try abandoning the mission but i get hit with terror each month of sectoid and lose the game...

large rocket is good but require line of sight unlike throwing bomb when you can scoot around.

:(

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: July 15, 2015, 01:57:07 am »
well i went with genius difficulty (4) on my first few runs with ironman because i have played original x-com quite a bit and everything was fine until the terror missions. i killed a few cyberdiscs no problem with grenade and high explosive spam but they kept coming and i ran out.... afterwards i counted 10 cyberdiscs at least. im the original x-com, i would have laser pistol by the first terror mission and auto at close range with that is quite effective against the 3-4 cyberdiscs or so, also the high explosives are effective as well and only 30% of the first terror mission will be sectoid. however in FMP, you dont get any advanced weapons and you run into TEN cyberdiscs. only high explosive is effective against them and using high explosive is risky because it takes a lot of action point and only work at close range and you need high strength guy if you dont wanna blow yourself up. and if you prime the bomb and end turn and a random disc pop up and shoot the guy dead then good bye team. oh and occasionally a sectoid will throw a grenade at you.

i also try abandoning the mission but i get hit with terror each month of sectoid and lose the game...

large rocket is good but require line of sight unlike throwing bomb when you can scoot around.

:(
Shotguns with solid alíen alloy ammo. And  large misiles. This is my default equip in the initial missions. "Yes all with rocket launchers"

Enviado desde mi ECOO E04 3GB mediante Tapatalk

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1735 on: July 15, 2015, 07:42:05 am »
I would also recommend fire weapons, especially flamethrowers. They do wonders against Cyberdiscs.

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: July 15, 2015, 08:29:48 am »
fire takes forever to kill something meanwhile the cyberdisc is shooting back

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: July 15, 2015, 08:32:31 am »
Shotguns with solid alíen alloy ammo. And  large misiles. This is my default equip in the initial missions. "Yes all with rocket launchers"

Enviado desde mi ECOO E04 3GB mediante Tapatalk

i thought about all rocket strat but you cant know whats gonna be in a terror mission. i dont wanna pack boom booms because i might kill civilians and blow up loot if its not sectoid.

but i guess you dont have a choice...

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: July 15, 2015, 08:42:25 am »
<shamelessSelfPromotion>
Some examples of early Sectoid/Cyberdisc terror missions on Superhuman:
 - end of January: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYbxOJw0m6k&index=9&list=PLe0K-GUDQkNIhI8tBeYKHa_VoVYeVW67R
 - end of February: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IYBX0mzMuc&index=15&list=PLe0K-GUDQkNIhI8tBeYKHa_VoVYeVW67R
 - beginning of March: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H25c8xQGEs&index=19&list=PLe0K-GUDQkNIFsiJLbZIfaoRVsY5qmx09
</shamelessSelfPromotion>

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: July 15, 2015, 10:15:10 am »
<shamelessSelfPromotion>
Some examples of early Sectoid/Cyberdisc terror missions on Superhuman:
 - end of January: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYbxOJw0m6k&index=9&list=PLe0K-GUDQkNIhI8tBeYKHa_VoVYeVW67R
 - end of February: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IYBX0mzMuc&index=15&list=PLe0K-GUDQkNIhI8tBeYKHa_VoVYeVW67R
 - beginning of March: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H25c8xQGEs&index=19&list=PLe0K-GUDQkNIFsiJLbZIfaoRVsY5qmx09
</shamelessSelfPromotion>

unfortunately those are not the same as the FMP games i am currently playing, whereby i dont have laser weapons and i have to fight 10 cyberdiscs