Author Topic: UFOPEDIA: Alien Reproduction  (Read 12333 times)

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
UFOPEDIA: Alien Reproduction
« on: March 19, 2011, 05:52:02 am »

This is the unused data of the original game. Please visit the following URL for detail:
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Alien_Reproduction

We cannot research this unless we edit the save game. Do anyone know this will include in the research tree of OpenXcom?

Offline hellblade

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: UFOPEDIA: Alien Reproduction
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 05:09:38 pm »
I doubt our "boss" would say no.  I'd say it's already in the game or on his list unless he forgot

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 06:30:39 pm »
Is it actually recoverable in-game though? If it's not in an UFO I don't see how you'd research it.

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 11:08:58 am »
Is it actually recoverable in-game though? If it's not in an UFO I don't see how you'd research it.

This equipment is not recoverable in game.   Just like Cyberdisc, the only way to get this report is to get it from a captured Alien medic. This is only my suggestion.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 07:09:59 am »
Been thinking about this a lot so last night just for something a little different i thought i would have a go at making a clone tank. Yes there are plenty of other tanks in the game but i am unsure IF any of them where meant to go with this so i made a custom one. Cant stop thinking about Growing clones of my fav soldier in later stages of the game and cloning a army from them ( with a random percentage of originals soldiers skills), also bring Hybrids into original game. Give every clone a name like the BORG do ("7 of 9" ) and send them to battle  ;)

Was also thinking about a different TYPE of alien base that would hold this , a cloning base , using same basic tile set as the original alien base just different layout and stuff ::)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:13:24 am by luke83 »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 08:58:38 am »
nice tank :) perhaps make the fluid a little more pink-ish to more closely resemble the ufopaedia picture?

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 09:05:15 am »
perhaps like this:

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:11:39 am »
Yes Valid argument , Pink looks good :)

Once i get the look right and work out what a young sectoid will look like in the tank , i want to make it bubble for effect.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:41:56 am by luke83 »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:02:03 am »
nice... ooh, I can see alien base missions where an unlucky shot breaks one of these tanks and something crawls out and attacks my soldiers... of course, in order to attack, it would need natural weapons, so I guess it needs to be celatid, or cryssalid (although they don't need to be cloned, they reproduce too quickly by themselves).

hmm, do aliens have hand-to-hand-attacks? at least being sucker-punched by a muton should do some considerable damage...

Offline Conti-k

• pixelpolice
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 12:23:10 pm »
Don't forget to add animated bubbles, and some Alien inside ;) BTW, this reminds me of one of old artworks I've made for Fallout.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 12:36:05 pm »
Its not something i am Rushing to finish as i want to get my urban maps playable first, buts its definitely on my to do list. :P
Conti-K : Nice work on the Fallout sprite, looks like you had a few more pixels to work with on that game than x-com does :P
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 12:46:11 pm by luke83 »

Offline Conti-k

• pixelpolice
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 05:40:48 pm »
Its not something i am Rushing to finish as i want to get my urban maps playable first, buts its definitely on my to do list. :P

Whoops, looks like I've missed your post saying about bubbles, and stuff. Sorry about that :)

Conti-K : Nice work on the Fallout sprite, looks like you had a few more pixels to work with on that game than x-com does :P

Indeed. There was no specified size for scenery, and walls (for sure there will be a problem with 500x500 giant), but tile shape/size was hardcoded. IIRC, all these limitations/ugly visual behaviors (no point to go into details) were wiped out in FOnline engine (multiplayer "remake" with support of single player games, and 3d characters models). Of course, giant sprites, or 3d models aren't needed for original UFO... up to 36x44 (two pixels more for each direction) sprite would be really modders friendly move. Even 34x42 (one pixel more for each direction) is enough to improve roofs design a lot (much more convincing, and natural look) thus bring some fresh air into original visuals without going into ugly workarounds. I do hope it will be possible at some point :)

Anyway, seems like there's already special property for Alien Reproduction thingy in MCD (from Ufopaedia.org):

Special properties of tile. Determines what is salvaged at end of mission. Note that some are not actually used within their respective games:

UFO                       
 0: No Special Properties 
 1: Entry Point           
 2: UFO Power Source       
 3: UFO Navigation         
 4: UFO Construction       
 5: Alien Food             
6: Alien Reproduction
 7: Alien Entertainment   
 8: Alien Surgery         
 9: Examination Room       
10: Alien Alloys           
11: Alien Habitat         
12: Dead Tile             
13: Exit Point             
14: Alien Brain

---------------------------EDIT

I've quickly c&p'ed clone into the tank.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:15:25 pm by Conti-k »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 06:43:17 pm »
Of course, giant sprites, or 3d models aren't needed for original UFO... up to 36x44 (two pixels more for each direction) sprite would be really modders friendly move. Even 34x42 (one pixel more for each direction) is enough to improve roofs design a lot (much more convincing, and natural look) thus bring some fresh air into original visuals without going into ugly workarounds. I do hope it will be possible at some point :)
another solution is add `z-buffer`(depth tests) that can fix most of problems and give new possibility. you could draw anything in any order you want :)
this will allow too draw bigger objects without big problems. (small example: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,259.msg1766.html#msg1766 )
only drawback of z-buffer is you cant have transparent surfaces, but in X-Com you dont have any :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 07:45:30 am »
A little off topic but maybe someone can help me, is there anyway to tell the game that on a specific tile i want to generate smoke. I know you can tell it to explode on destruction and stuff but i want a alien plant to generate smoke every turn it exists to keep the  alien garden sections dark and gloomy and was hopping to use smoke to finish the effect.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 02:45:55 pm »
You could create an object that is animated and looks like smoke.
Note that "real" smoke spreads, goes thinner over time, and gives stun damage to units. And there are no fields in a MAP file to add smoke to it, they just describe objects (4 per tile). Smoke, fire, shading is added at runtime.