aliens

Author Topic: The true origin of XCOM  (Read 5852 times)

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
The true origin of XCOM
« on: March 15, 2014, 08:05:00 pm »
Just woke up from years of sleep on XCOM.  Checked out an interview with this Gollop fellow and BAM!  Steam had a great article on OpenXCom and tada!  Life has been grand.

While watching an interview with Gollop he gave some insight that i had never heard or seen.  The UFO tv series that was in the UK. 

Started watching them and so much of XCOM as we know it is in there.  (Of course its very dated...but hell...what can you expect).

Figure I'd share what I've seen on Youtube for those who (like myself) aren't familair with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGwjmhoVEk

Apparently this is the inspiration that turned laser squad to XCOM.

Offline Incognito

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: The true origin of XCOM
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:15:45 pm »
Although I knew of the inspiration from various wiki's and what not I can't say I ever chased up to see an episode.

Its certainly .... retro?

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 12:13:51 am »
Hm, I'm sure you could probably find a gameplay video for rebelstar raiders, rebelstar, laser squad...

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:41:12 am »
Yeah UFO the TV series was a big inspiration, can't say I was a fan of the show though, although you can easily tell it's a work of Gerry Anderson as the show is like Captain Scarlet except with humans instead of puppets

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 03:01:00 am »
Hm, I'm sure you could probably find a gameplay video for rebelstar raiders, rebelstar, laser squad...

Oh...I'm quite familiar with that and other similar games from that era.  I lived that era, so i can go way back into great games gone abandonware.  XCOM was far differerent.  I actually disliked laser squad, and thought rebelstar was horrid.  I played it back in the BBs days (the infamous PrirateZ!).  But that's just me.

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 03:04:50 am »
Yeah UFO the TV series was a big inspiration, can't say I was a fan of the show though, although you can easily tell it's a work of Gerry Anderson as the show is like Captain Scarlet except with humans instead of puppets

Being American, I never even heard of that show.  Did watch Space 1999, which is, from what I read, the next season /generation/ whatever of UFO.  Oddly, despite the extreme dated look, I did enjoy watching UFO. 

Sort of fun, and I can see where things from the show were almost directly ported to XCOM.  The GEOSCAPE, UFO detection, Interception launches, etc.  Even there HQ is actually underground with a "front" organization (a movie studio!)  at the ground level concealing the alien fighting organization known by acronym of S.H.A.D.O.  SHADO counterstriking UFOs across the planet. 

Its also clearly not a kids show, pointing directly to adults.  Adultery, voyeurism, nudity...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:35:47 am by BlackLibrary »

Offline Maw

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 10:10:36 am »
<snip>  Did watch Space 1999, which is, from what I read, the next season /generation/ whatever of UFO.  <snip>

You got any source information on this? Was an avid watcher of Space 1999 when young - never knew it had a connection to another series.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:58:19 am »
Well Space 1999 is from same creator Gerry Anderson but tbh I never watched Space 1999 at all so I don't know if it actually has any connection to UFO or Captain Scarlet/Thunderbirds/Stingray or any of other Gerry Anderson's works.

According to wiki though is just seems like the production work on season 2 of UFO which was cancelled was used for Space 1999 like the Moonbase so dunno about it having any other connection.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 11:17:01 am »
maybe xcom commencing on january 1st 1999 was a subtle reference?

Offline LouisdeFuines

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 06:12:33 pm »
I think: Laser Squat is the "father" of "our" xcon :-)