aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 757559 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
I need to dl a linux OXCom version and start test-firing it on my virtual linux box... the only way I can keep tabs on these damned errors (I keep maximum discipline with upper/lower casing, but with thousands of files errors are bound to happen, and there is no error warning on Windows).

niculinux

I need to dl a linux OXCom version and start test-firing it on my virtual linux box... the only way I can keep tabs on these damned errors (I keep maximum discipline with upper/lower casing, but with thousands of files errors are bound to happen, and there is no error warning on Windows).

OK, since i assume you're on windows, maybe the bulk rename utility may be a great solution? Here si the link: Bulk rename on askubuntu.com

It would work renaming also words inside a text file? I don't know, sorry  :'(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:29:10 am by niculinux »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Thanks for that! I have my own little program for this kind of work, less sophisticated but it gets the job done :)

Broader problem is like this: no point in even firing up the Piratez on Linux, since all you have is 1.0 OXCom, and it is long since incompatible with the mod. Especially after the recent Nightly mission/terrain changes/upgrades.

niculinux

Thanks for that! I have my own little program for this kind of work, less sophisticated but it gets the job done :)

Broader problem is like this: no point in even firing up the Piratez on Linux, since all you have is 1.0 OXCom, and it is long since incompatible with the mod. Especially after the recent Nightly mission/terrain changes/upgrades.

OK, that's really sad :,(

Please, some other user may come with a solution? I hope not to resign on playing that superb mod! > : = ()

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Many of us compile the code from github to get the nightly on Linux. We can certainly enjoy Piratez (once the case issue is resolved).

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
step by step instructions for compiling the nightly on Linux are here

niculinux

step by step instructions for compiling the nightly on Linux are here

Thank you myk002!!! Actually, I found a couple of uttilities: gprename and pyrenamer, both in the ubuntu official repositories! But are lacking of an important feature: rename words inside text file. But at least that's something. :) Have a good night!!!

niculinux

Breaking news: for renaming reources inside piratez.rul one should try his luck with search and replace madness!!!
x_x

Offline myk002

• Colonel
    • View Profile
for renaming words inside a text file, there are plethora of utilities for that (installed by default) on Linux.  any text editor has search and replace (ninja'd above) and on the commandline sed might be the most appropriate.  for example, to rename SHOULD_BE_LCASE to should_be_lcase:
Code: [Select]
sed -i 's/SHOULD_BE_LCASE/should_be_lcase/g' filename
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 10:10:42 pm by myk002 »

niculinux

for renaming words inside a text file, there are plethora of utilities for that (installed by default) on Linux.  any text editor has search and replace (ninja'd above) and on the commandline sed might be the most appropriate.  for example, to rename WORD_IN_CAPS to word_in_caps:
Code: [Select]
sed -i 's/WORD_IN_CAPS/word_in_caps/g' filename

Super! May try one of this days! Though the terminal its not very comfortabile for prophans -___ xD

For mod developer - maybe Dioxine may make use of the following - there's a nice suggesiton by hellrazor here!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
His method is pretty much what I am doing since I was become aware of the Linux problem. However, it doesn't guarantee 100% effectivity, and all it takes is a single error. I will do another thorough check for the 0.9 version, though. I have strict upper/lowercase naming guidelines, and I stick to them, but some editing is done when I'm not in the top mental form :)

Good luck with compliling the Nightly for Linux!

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
The easiest is to try to load it on Linux using a nightly and fix every problem it comes across. It is tedious, but I have done it before when I wanted to try Piratez. (Unfortunately, a crash compromised my budding raiding career :()

niculinux

Thanks again guuys, but won't have will to compile, well....guess i'll sit back and wait for the 0.9 to come, it will be ready when will be ready!

Oh, before i go to bed, after having explored the piratez.rul I did not find the entry in the screenshot, which sure refers to an actual existing file, but it's not present in the ruleset file, please correct me if i'm wrong. good night!!<3

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Thanks again guuys, but won't have will to compile, well....guess i'll sit back and wait for the 0.9 to come, it will be ready when will be ready!

Oh, before i go to bed, after having explored the piratez.rul I did not find the entry in the screenshot, which sure refers to an actual existing file, but it's not present in the ruleset file, please correct me if i'm wrong. good night!!<3

This entry is from Piratez_Factions.rul

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Guess there will be a delay, one of my tilesets got somewhow corrupted and I'll probably have to recreate it from scratch. Does anybody know how big a .pck file can become before the whole thing goes to hell?

Some images from before the data loss (much of that stuff is animated):