aliens

Author Topic: Scrolling  (Read 5184 times)

alienjon

Scrolling
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:00:04 am »
One thing I feel is present in current games of a similar nature but not in the original X-Coms is the ability to keyscroll.  The originals only supported mouse scrolling (and setting the scroll speed) but what if we allowed key scrolling via directional arrows?  That speed could be configurable as well, for that matter.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Scrolling
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 07:59:57 am »
It's doable. I'll put it on my list.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 05:02:25 pm »
Is it possible we can use the Scroll button on the mouse when Held down as a Quick Scroll option, moving my mouse to the edge of the screen to scroll is a pain for me, anyone else feeling lazy as they get older  :P

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 07:40:43 pm »
Is it possible we can use the Scroll button on the mouse when Held down as a Quick Scroll option, moving my mouse to the edge of the screen to scroll is a pain for me, anyone else feeling lazy as they get older  :P
If by "quick scroll" you mean that kind of "hold-and-drag" scrolling that a lot of games have, that used to be implemented way early in the project, but I dunno what happened to it.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 01:22:52 am »
Yep quick scrolling is what i want ;)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 10:49:31 am »
I think there was an issue when you are in "aiming" mode and you rightclick to scroll, the aiming mode is cancelled. I'm not sure anymore. It's possible to add it again, it wasn't a lot of code if I remember correctly.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 11:00:56 am »
but "dragging" using the middle mouse button (=mouse wheel press) should work, right? I'm also absolutely in favor of arrow-key-scrolling.

oh, and while you're at it: perhaps keyboard shortcuts for firing snapshot (s), firing auto-shot (a) and kneeling (k) could be added? firing keys would always use the primary weapon (in the soldier's right hand, that is).

we could then discuss accessing the secondary-weapon commands (left hand weapon) using w and q, but that's open for discussion, I guess... :)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 05:58:28 pm »
I was planning on adding keyboard shortcuts throughout the game later (specially since they're pretty popular in UFOextender), when I got around to fixing up the keyboard event code, because right now it's a bit... messy. Programmer problems. :P