aliens

Author Topic: Korean translation  (Read 26693 times)

Offline einsys

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Korean translation
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 08:04:07 am »
Yeah the size limitations for east-asian languages have been discussed before in the Japanese and Chinese threads before, there's no easy way to work around it. :( An option might be digging up old game fonts, as they usually had custom bitmap fonts to preserve readability in very small screen sizes.

Still good job, the custom font seems to work well. :) Could you explain how you created the font in case it's useful for other translators? Also are there any special rules (numbering, wordwrapping, etc.) that OpenXcom needs to be aware of for formatting Korean text, or does it work fine?

SupSuper,
I'm still fighting with the small font and I'll post a short explanation about the bitmap font when it's complete.
And there are some special rules for Korean but I think that I translated the script naturally without following the rules. I'll request for your help if I can't handle it by myself. Thanks.

@einsys Could you please upload all the data along with font.dat and pngs on this topic?

@starwindz
I modified only two files(font.dat/FontBing.png) and it seems that there are some missing characters. It's not corrected since the translation is not complete yet. I made a small tool for gathering all chars in the script so you don't have to search for the missing things  :)
Don't forget to backup your font.dat before overwritting it, it's just for testing and makes lots of errors.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:07:32 am by einsys »

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 11:57:14 am »
Isn't there any kind of 8x8 font from some old NES game you can use? Some of those might've been translated into Korean.

Offline starwindz

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 12:04:40 pm »
I have found very small Korean character font (7 by 8 pixels and 8 by 8 pixels). Please refer the following link. You may use them for small Korean fonts.
https://kldp.org/node/134250

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 12:12:35 pm »
That's a poor one, though. It's just a print screen of a regular font in 8px or so size. You can still see the anti-aliased bits in some parts.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 05:18:26 pm »
Isn't there any kind of 8x8 font from some old NES game you can use? Some of those might've been translated into Korean.
I asked RomHacking.net for some suggestions.

Offline einsys

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 05:04:19 am »
Thanks SupSuper, I'm still working with the small fonts.
It's just the small version of FontBig.png modified using Photoshop. It's still not readable on complex backgrounds but I think it's better than "clear but ugly shaped" strings. How do you see it?

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 11:42:20 am »
The size looks alright, but yeah, the amounts of anti-aliasing give it poor readability. You're gonna need a sharper font there, preferably with two colours only. One for the letter and another one for the outline.