Author Topic: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0  (Read 541495 times)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0
« Reply #600 on: February 10, 2015, 06:42:21 pm »
Have you been able to play the game without any mods? Also, what operating system are you using?

The Legacy 1.0 version will only work with the milestone release of OpenXcom, whereas the nightly should work with the latest nightly (sometimes the nightlies change in a big way, so sometimes the latest nightly does not in fact work... something I need to take care of).

If you have the correct version of the mod with the correct version of the game, then I would ask that you make sure the .dlls are in the same directory as the .exe. If this is all right, then I am not sure what would be causing a crash. Is there a log anywhere that tells you why it is crashing?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #601 on: February 10, 2015, 06:49:32 pm »
edit: Ivan, I tried to recreate a failure to load, but I didn't manage. I tried debugging myself a few wins, passed a month, and was still able to load it all. Could you send me a save that doesn't load?

I've attached a .zip with some saves. 
Episode1.sav is the beginning of the campaign before any combat and it works fine.  Ep001 Tactical.sav is in the beginning of the first tactical battle.
002.sav is a post battle save that refuses to load.  No crash, just the yaml.ccp error.

Its weird that the vanilla nightly will run these, but the Diaries nightly doesn't. :?

Offline Goldy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 10, 2015, 07:04:00 pm »
I have 1.0 version of OpenXcom (I haven't tried any nightly yet, to tell the truth) and I have downloaded the 2015-02-08 Legacy version of Commendations. There are no other mods - I install the game (I've just done it one more time to make sure, I am not missing something obvious - I don't think that I do, which makes even more probable :P) and it works, I open the Legacy archive and copy the content to the game directory and when I run the game, I can't start a new campaign. It doesn't matter if the mod is activated or not, when I try it, the game crashes to desktop.

My operating system is Windows 7 a everything worked quite well (apart from the obvious problems, when the commendations weren't behaving like they should), up until now. And there si no log anywhere unfortunately :( Only typical Windows message, that "the program stopped working".

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #603 on: February 10, 2015, 07:11:02 pm »
There is an OpenXcom.log file in your user directory.  This might be under the My Documents folder.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Installing_(OpenXcom)#Data_Folder
https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Installing_(OpenXcom)#Log_file

Unfortunately, its not overly verbose, so it may not help. 

Also, I haven't tried the combination you are trying.  Mine is an older build, that seems to be working but doesn't have features for the new awards.

Edit:  I think this is the one I am using: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234369005/OXC/07182014%20Legacy%20Debug.zip

Offline Goldy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 10, 2015, 07:28:48 pm »
There is an OpenXcom.log file in your user directory.  This might be under the My Documents folder.
Thank you for the directions. There is even some kind of logfile in the game directory, but both of them are sadly not very helpful :(

Edit:  I think this is the one I am using: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/234369005/OXC/07182014%20Legacy%20Debug.zip

Yes, that version solves my problem - it does both: doesn't crash the game a gives away commendations the way it should. Thank you :)

It doesn't answer the question "why the hell is not the newer version working?", but now I can stop complaining about it ;)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 10, 2015, 08:28:38 pm »
I'll do some more legacy testing when I get home from work. In all honesty, I may have neglected to test the Legacy! :x

Offline Goldy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 12, 2015, 12:05:58 am »
OK, me again.

There is a bug somewhere in the version ivandogovich provided (07182014 Legacy debug), that I can't pinpoint exactly. I was just finnishing a terror mission - I killed last alien and was ready for debrifieng, clicked "enemy turn" and the game crashed. To make sure, that it was not a random occurence, I tried previous saves and different combinations and no, there was no way to get out of the mission without a crash. I have read about similar bugs before, so I deactivated commendations for a while and voila, no problem. Finished the game, activated commendations and so far nothing.

Unfortunately, I am unable to point at an exact culprit - I have no idea, what could have caused it.

And on a more positive note - I extremely happy with this mod, now that it works (more or less). It's really wonderful. Thank you both :)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #607 on: February 12, 2015, 12:35:49 am »
I had a bug similar to that, which resulted from what we call "goomba stomping." This occurs if an enemy or civilian walk off a roof or higher level and land one of your units. 

After troubleshooting this with Shoes, I think he has fixed the code, but I don't think its in that version. 

Also, I have not run into that scenario any more because I have the "sneaky AI" option turned on.  Somehow this changes the "lets just charge off the roof toward that big plane over there" logic, and they haven't done it again in 84 episodes worth of game play.

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 12, 2015, 01:35:07 am »
Also, I have not run into that scenario any more because I have the "sneaky AI" option turned on.  Somehow this changes the "lets just charge off the roof toward that big plane over there" logic, and they haven't done it again in 84 episodes worth of game play.

I was wondering how it was even remotely probable that one alien would land on another!!

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 12, 2015, 04:40:03 am »
Hey shoes.
Is it possible to compile 1 single executable instead of many little files?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #610 on: February 12, 2015, 06:54:59 am »
Latest Ufopedia entries and Art:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:39:29 am by ivandogovich »

Offline kikimoristan

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 12, 2015, 07:43:57 am »
New award Idea:
"Globetrotter Award" - Given to soldiers who participate in missions in every region of the globe.

I support this one.

Offline Goldy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 12, 2015, 11:04:06 am »
Hm, so it seems, that temporary deactivation of the commendations didn't solve my problem. Because when I activate them, the game crashes at the next point, when it tries to give some awards -.-

Could this be caused by the "goomba stomping" bug (where does the term comes form anyway? XD ) and is there any way to circumviate it completely, other than deactivating commendations again.

Btw, nice artwork - the best of rank medal looks really great.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 12, 2015, 01:09:31 pm »
Assuming a goomba stomp (inspired by the mario games) did happen, that means there is a stat for a stunned alien that is being misattributed. If you go through your save file, you might be able to find out who is being credited with the stun (there might be gibberish saved? I really don't know) and you might be able to remove that credit. That's the only way I can think of doing it ;p

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #614 on: February 12, 2015, 01:38:07 pm »
"Pointy-Eared Person" - for those who max all stats. :P

More seriously, possibly individual medals for those who maxed out a single stat? Or is it already in?