Author Topic: [WEAPON] alloy ammo  (Read 30170 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
Re: alloy ammo
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 09:38:31 pm »
The concept is pretty sweet though, I was thinking alien alloys are supposed to be light so might not make the best bullets, but they are supposed to be durable so will need a lot more resistance to deform on impact which might make up for the low weight if shaped like flechettes.

Sharp, yeah, I was thinking about that, too, how can such low-weight materials be used for decent ammunition? then I thought, maybe it's kind of an inverse flechette principle: instead of using a heavy bullet with a strong core, the alloy ammunition would actually encase conventional bullets in alloy "hulls". that way, the bullet can be accelerated with stronger propellant charges without risking deformation by inertial forces alone. at the same time, the cartridge uses an alloy case, so the stronger charge doesn't destroy the weapon.
In the end, you get higher kinetic energies transferred to the target, which is all that matters :)

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 09:51:31 pm »
This way the alloy can act like a super-high speed memory metal with "bubble gum softness" on impact.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 10:12:45 pm »
yes, exactly. plus a very pointy, very durable tip that can penetrate armor.

okay, here's again two versions:

"alloy_ammo.rul"
alloy ammo ruleset with updated research costs etc., alloy cannon for craft uses special alloy ammo that needs to be manufactured

"alloy_ammo_2.rul"
craft alloy cannon uses alien alloys directly to re-load; UFOpedia text changed accordingly.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:58:03 pm by moriarty »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [WEAPON] alloy ammo
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 06:35:19 pm »
There's a bug in your "alloy_ammo.rul".
Your crafts and manufactures refer to a "STR_ALLOY_CANNON_ROUNDS_X75", but in your items there's a "STR_ALLOY_CANNON_ROUNDS_X50" instead.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 07:01:06 pm »
Whoops. I thought I had 'em all... I started by copying the standard cannon stuff, of course, but then increased the capacity by half, then adjusted the ammo chunk size, and obviously forgot to change the item itself.
I'm on my phone right now, but I'll try to change it ASAP.

Anything else you found? Balancing issues?

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 07:53:52 pm »
Thank You SupSuper!

I want to enhance the Magnum and Sniper Rifle mods to use alloy ammo.

No luck so far: it seems item types defined in alloy_ammo.rul isn't known "outside" of that rul file. When I try to define a new alloy ammo for the magnum and copy the research and manufacture requirements for it from alloy_ammo.rul the game crashes when going to the soldier inventory.

I was thinking of fusing alloy_ammo.rul + Magnum + Sniper Rifle so there are only single manufacture and research and item type sections, not multiple rul files.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 11:00:31 pm »
I want to enhance the Magnum and Sniper Rifle mods to use alloy ammo.

No luck so far: it seems item types defined in alloy_ammo.rul isn't known "outside" of that rul file. When I try to define a new alloy ammo for the magnum and copy the research and manufacture requirements for it from alloy_ammo.rul the game crashes when going to the soldier inventory.

interesting - could you post your ruleset? I thought things defined in one ruleset should be accessible by other rulesets... perhaps something else is going wrong here.

I updated the post above with the correct "_x75" item ruleset part (and the first post in this thread, too) :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 11:02:05 pm by moriarty »

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 08:29:03 pm »
Magnum AA Drum done! The only thing missing now is an awesome Alloy Ammo sprite. How to change the magnum AA drums color? Where is a palette of alternative colors?

Built the Magnum into your alloy_ammo.rul . It seems to work. Which is wonderful.

Can research AA Drum = Check
Can manufacture Magnum AA Drum = Check
Can go to Soldier Inventory and Load Magnum AA Drum into Magnum = Check
Can shoot Magnum AA ammo on missions = Check

It seems to eat away armor nicely! >:]

I deleted the
- Magnum line from my options.cfg since its no longer needed.

Will infuse a Sniper Rifle Alloy cartridge into this one, just Natuk has me in tight grips right now. (Turn based tactical fantasy RPG.) I've improved its sound effects and will do more as I go.

Offline SeanEBlog

• Sergeant
  • https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1266.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2013, 12:27:59 am »
I've notice that this is a similar concept to some graphics I made for alien alloy Terran weaponry, I didn't think of them using alloy ammunition though.

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 10:11:56 am »
@SeanEBlog  Your weapons look really good! Would love to see a MOD. Maybe fuse your graphics with this mod?

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 10:02:48 pm »
About Alloy Cannon, it's a specific weapon only because the engine doesn't give a way to choose multiple ammo, but in game world it is actually the same weapon, taking ammo of identical caliber.
So I'd rather make it a manufacturing formula that converts an existing Craft Cannon, using no money and not much time : It represents the tweaking by mechanics for the modified temperature, pressure, etc.
An opposite formula could revert an alloy cannon into a Craft Cannon, in case the player runs out of alien alloys (The player then has to dismount the weapon, convert it manually and reattach it).

Apologies if the idea has already been mentioned and I missed it.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 08:23:19 pm »
I made bigobs for the new alloy clips. Hopefully they'll be useful to you guys.

(Contains basic ammo and some clips from mods.)

On pics below you'll find a sample of 4 clips; the zip file has them too and everything else.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:00:22 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 03:47:20 pm »
Good job, do not be afraid, this will be useful  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 04:01:15 pm »
Good job, do not be afraid, this will be useful  :)

I'm glad they will :)

I made them for the Final Mod Pack project, but naturally they can be used elsewhere.

Offline DanosP

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 11:06:51 am »
Hi,

At first, thank you for great mod. This made the game more differentiated. I likied to use rifles and auto-cannons even at Cydonia.

The second, did you try to integrate Sniper Rifle? I tried to extract data from FMP and integrated it with your mod. It seems that it works - checked with OXC 1.0 us and pl.
I did not publish it because I do not know about license limitations.