aliens

Author Topic: beginner's question  (Read 26846 times)

Offline crisisdude

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: beginner's question
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2013, 01:31:05 am »
Not many people really use laser cannons, doesn't stop them from building lots of them though.

Wait do they sell for more then Med kits?  Because that's what i sell for money

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile

Offline crisisdude

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2013, 02:52:39 am »
Thanks for the link

Offline Hobbit Lord

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2013, 05:24:37 am »
I just starting jumping my guys out of the Skyranger... normally 4-5 soldiers, more if the first few get shot. I try to kill any aliens surrounding the Skyranger/posing a threat on the first turn

Never skipped the first turn, the idea just seems really lame

The ambush/initial danger of exiting is one of the few advantages aliens have, in first few turns. If you use the fact the AI will move off you may as well edit savegames or save/reload

Especially in terror missions while civilians are being eaten

I normally take smoke grenades with me but hardly ever use them because TU cost of prime + throw is almost a full turn. Might be worth using them on 2nd turn once your guys are out and you can spot some aliens

Offline Man in the Funny Hat

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2013, 08:06:51 am »
Until just recently I never, EVER bothered with smoke grenades.  I also never, EVER skipped turn 1.  As for the smoke grenades there was very good motivation for NOT using them - the 80-item limit.  As for not skipping turn 1 it simply never occurred to me that the REASON so many troops died on the ramp is because on turn 1 the aliens have EVERY TU available to them and all they're doing as you move is stand there waiting for you to move into view so they can start burning TU's to start burning you.

Now, with Openxcom and the ease of equipping and re-ordering soldier positions in the skyranger, my SOP is that anyone in view gets shot at, otherwise a pre-primed smoke grenade goes at the bottom of the ramp and it's "End Turn".  Then step to top square of ramp, turn 90 degrees, step off, turn 45/90 more to reveal terrain to front of skyranger.  Choice of movement and tactics from there are entirely dependant upon terrain and positioning of any aliens in view.  However, someone STILL always has to move to the front landing gear because they WILL move there and you won't see them standing behind the rear landing gear even if the FOW is cleared.  Always check those corners, people.

I feel no guilt in countering the games unjustifiable blindness of your troops to ALL knowledge of the terrain around your craft as it lands, much less aliens standing in the open waiting to shoot at you.  By simply burning turn 1 and allowing the aliens to use up their TU's in movement before MY troops are forced to step, blind, into the open fields of reaction fire I feel things balance out to what they should be.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2013, 04:05:41 pm »
The aliens should have their TU's HALVED in the first round like in UFO:TTS.
So you have a slightly better chance as well.
Also it rarely happens in TTS, that aliens are actually facing the Skyranger, let alone take a pot shot on a hapless disembarking trooper... XD

Offline crisisdude

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2013, 06:08:46 pm »
I'm fine giving the aliens an advantage, I can just sneak through a smoke cloud in turn 2

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2013, 06:55:38 pm »
Though if OpenXcom would ever go multiplayer it should be addressed... ;)

Offline crisisdude

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:44 pm »
Though if OpenXcom would ever go multiplayer it should be addressed... ;)

The Dev team already said they wouldn't make multiplayer, its a single player thing.  If you want multiplayer play ufo2000 with the link on the website

Offline Hobbit Lord

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2013, 05:21:31 am »
The aliens should have their TU's HALVED in the first round like in UFO:TTS.
So you have a slightly better chance as well.
Also it rarely happens in TTS, that aliens are actually facing the Skyranger, let alone take a pot shot on a hapless disembarking trooper... XD
Where's the challenge then?

Aliens getting the advantage/reaction fire on the first turn makes perfect sense. I don't imagine a skyranger lands at a crash/terror site noiselessly. Usually you even park right next to the UFO. They have all the time to set up an ambush, in fact it would make no sense for them NOT to do that

It isn't a surprise situation, defenders should get that advantage

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2013, 12:54:21 pm »
Where's the challenge then?

Aliens getting the advantage/reaction fire on the first turn makes perfect sense. I don't imagine a skyranger lands at a crash/terror site noiselessly. Usually you even park right next to the UFO. They have all the time to set up an ambush, in fact it would make no sense for them NOT to do that

It isn't a surprise situation, defenders should get that advantage

All true but unfortunately doesn't pan out too much in practice. I mean for an ideal hard AI it would be camping the skyranger exit ramp for as long as it can however what actually happens is turn 1 all aliens have full TU and will be facing skyranger (thanks to Warboy), turn 2 aliens will go to patrol mode and generally won't end on full TU and some may face skyranger but are just as likely to be facing elsewhere.

I'm sure bastard mode AI could be implemented where aliens will just camp and then if you manage to break out of the killing zone (with smoke grenades and/or attrition) they will go to hide, pop out and shoot, hide.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2013, 01:03:54 pm »
The Dev team already said they wouldn't make multiplayer, its a single player thing.  If you want multiplayer play ufo2000 with the link on the website

UFO:TTS ^^
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:05:57 pm by Danny »