Author Topic: beginner's question  (Read 27185 times)

Offline crisisdude

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: beginner's question
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 08:09:19 pm »
Ok, sounds like I should start using tanks then, thanks for all the replies.  :)

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 12:00:54 am »
Keep in mind HWPs are quite expensive (over $400k, 10 times the price of a rookie), so just because they can soak up some measure of punishment doesn't mean you should expose them recklessly.

I haven't been using them all that well lately, precisely exposing them too much, but I suppose the key is to use them as spotters and keep them hidden while the aliens take their turn.

Offline crisisdude

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 02:36:37 am »
I'll try it out when i play it today

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 03:04:42 am »
Soldiers are cheaper then tanks and can carry more firepower per space on skyranger, rookies are pretty cheap when compared to tanks, the only reason to really use tanks are using them as mobile shields for important soldiers, although really you can also use rookies as mobile meat-shields for your vets as well.

Rookies are indeed nature's kevlar.

Offline Svanh

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 12:06:55 pm »
Smoke grenades might be more trouble than they are worth on Snakeman and, to a lesser extent, Floater terror missions because they obscure your soldiers' vision as well as the aliens.

You do not want Chrysalids or Reapers walking up to your soldiers unseen.

Offline Danny

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 04:22:07 pm »
Smoke when getting out of the ship.

But proxies, high reaction sentries and the spot 'n snipe tactic in the field. ^^

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 04:58:10 pm »
Soldiers are cheaper then tanks and can carry more firepower per space on skyranger, rookies are pretty cheap when compared to tanks, the only reason to really use tanks are using them as mobile shields for important soldiers, although really you can also use rookies as mobile meat-shields for your vets as well.

Rookies are indeed nature's kevlar.

Well, no, while HWPs are far more expensive than rookies, when used properly there's a place for their exceptional mobility and staying power in the form of armoured recon. Firepower isn't much of an issue since, ideally, you'd avoid exposing the platform, and use its weapons only when there's no soldier that can take the shot and it's imperative someone (or something) takes it that turn.

HWPs really shouldn't be judged like line combatants, so to speak, because their high cost makes them non-expendable.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 05:32:32 pm »
Hey the beauty of XCom is the variety of ways to play it. Using HWPs as a damage soak can be quite successful when you have soldiers you really want to protect. You can be morbid and give similar protection with rookies.

I like using Rocket-Tanks as they are superior to rocket equipped soldiers, and it can be fun to play around with a Cannon HWP as well but typically there aren't many situations where 4 more soldiers are worse then a tank. Oddly enough though in one of my games on OXC I think my Cannon Tank has the most kills and has been clutch in winning many missions even though there are soldiers with better stats and equipment.

Offline kevL

• Colonel
  • pitchforks and torches
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 11:15:41 pm »
ahh hate cannon tanks...

for me they're so lousy i boosted the power of cannon shells and gave them a bit better chance to hit. (and lowered their price a lot) I have one at my main base as sort of a toy. Take a potshot or bust open a brick wall... Send it out scouting for half-tu's, then bring it back in and sorta hide it behind a rookie..

i have no luck with cannon tanks,

Offline crisisdude

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2013, 02:30:02 am »
I've lately just used rookies but tanks with rocket launchers are Better, i have guys sit in the back with auto cannons so i don't have to worrie about killing whatever i find with my scouts

Offline crisisdude

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2013, 08:25:15 pm »
So does anyone use the heavy laser?  I have not tried it and I was wondering.

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2013, 09:21:01 pm »
Nah Heavy Laser is pretty pointless, there is only one enemy in the game which is the sectopod where heavy laser is better then anything else but even then laser rifles aren't too bad either. I like to mod the heavy laser though to give it a high-accuracy and high TU cost to make it a sniper weapon and so can have some use later on.

The only reason to research Heavy Laser without modding though is to get Laser Cannon (for Interceptors) and Laser HWP. Laser HWP isn't actually too bad as it packs a pretty heavy punch and can do 1 hit kills on many enemies although it's obsolete once you get heavy plasma.

Offline Shadow

• Captain
  • Veteran Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 09:31:11 pm »
Personally, I've modded the Heavy Laser to give it a 40% accuracy, 40% TUs auto-shot option. I felt it was missing.

Offline crisisdude

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 11:38:20 pm »
alright its basically pointless,  I don't use laser cannons anyway

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2013, 01:19:51 am »
alright its basically pointless,  I don't use laser cannons anyway

Not many people really use laser cannons, doesn't stop them from building lots of them though.