Author Topic: Translations migrated to GetLocalization  (Read 48763 times)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Translations migrated to GetLocalization
« on: September 25, 2013, 04:55:44 pm »
From now on all translation work should be done at: https://www.getlocalization.com/openxcom/

This gets rid of a lot of old problems and annoyances such as:
- Keeps track of translated/needs revising/untranslated string status, no more wondering about translation progress.
- Allows cooperative translating, no more sharing files back and forth to work with multiple people, and incomplete translations being forever abandoned.
- Automatically informs translators of new/changed strings, no more looking through posts for new strings and losing track of stuff.
- All translations are synced with the master file, no more translations breaking with updates.
- Handles all file format wizardry for you, translators can just focus on translating.

I've imported all our current translations, so please try it out and let me know what you think! Keep an eye out for any bugs or missing info. Note that since we didn't keep track of "untranslated strings", any string matching the English version was removed, which is why none of the languages are at 100%. Just revise as appropriate.

If you have a translation not on the site, please post it here so I can import it, it doesn't matter how old or crappy or incomplete it is. If it's on the website everyone can work and improve on it, instead of being left to rot.

You can get the latest version of the translations on GetLocalization here: https://openxcom.org/translations/latest.zip
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 02:40:36 am by SupSuper »

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Migrating to GetLocalization, need feedback please!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 09:04:13 am »
I tried it out and it's looking pretty good. Although there is a problem regarding the strings: STR_ST, STR_ND, STR_RD, STR_TH - these are not needed for my language (romanian), but empty strings are not allowed.

P.S. it seems to work if I just put one space, so it's ok

Offline redv

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Translations migrated to GetLocalization
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:58:23 pm »
How to add new strings?
For example: I wrote new feature. I sent pull request of this new feature. New feature required several new strings. I don't know when will merging with upstream/master. Perhaps, merging will never be. How to add new strings in this case?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:01:56 pm by redv »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Migrating to GetLocalization, need feedback please!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 11:34:33 pm »
I tried it out and it's looking pretty good. Although there is a problem regarding the strings: STR_ST, STR_ND, STR_RD, STR_TH - these are not needed for my language (romanian), but empty strings are not allowed.

P.S. it seems to work if I just put one space, so it's ok
I'll let them know. Those strings probably need to be revised anyways because of different date formats.

How to add new strings?
For example: I wrote new feature. I sent pull request of this new feature. New feature required several new strings. I don't know when will merging with upstream/master. Perhaps, merging will never be. How to add new strings in this case?
You have to add any new strings to "en-US.yml" like before. GetLocalization will automatically get the changes from GitHub and sync it to the other translation files.
If your stuff never gets merged you will just have to manage the files manually like before.

Offline MadAnd

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 12:55:21 pm »
Hi SupSuper,

thank you for this big improvement for the translator's life! The new platform is fantastic in comparison and as such :)

But there's one thing not clear to me: how can I obtain my recent changes back in order to test them? Is there any way to fetch latest version of the translation, or maybe there are periodic auto-merges and I need to wait for one to occur?

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 05:05:41 pm »
Use the latest git build? I know, it's a bit cumbersome...

Offline MadAnd

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:27:23 pm »
Use the latest git build? I know, it's a bit cumbersome...

Upstream branch (master) currently doesn't contain my changes from GetLocalization. Thus there was no auto-merging of localization files, at least for last 8 hours (measured between my edits on GetLocalization site and now).

So I still wonder how can I get my latest changes in a form of yaml file? I don't like such a time gap between the actual changes made and the possibility to test them in-game  :'(

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 11:25:39 pm »
There's a Files tab on the website, can you access it? It might be developer-only. :(

There's also an API, see if this works for you:
https://api.getlocalization.com/openxcom/api/translations/file/bin/data/Language/en-US.yml/[language-code]/ (put the appropriate language code there)

If not I'll just try to integrate the translations into Git regularly. I imagine it can't be done automatically because constantly generating translation files would hammer their site. :P

Offline MadAnd

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 12:03:21 am »
There's a Files tab on the website, can you access it? It might be developer-only. :(

Unfortunately the Files tab seems to be dev-only, because I can't see it. Provided API link doesn't work either, since they describe it as "meant for developers".

I hope you'll find some time to setup a scheduler to perform periodic (say, once per hour) fetches'n'merges of localizations to make translators happy  :)

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 12:05:27 pm »
I imagine it can't be done automatically because constantly generating translation files would hammer their site. :P

A cron that runs a bash script every 3-4-5-6 hours? It's easily adjustable, and besides, you can ask a support question to Github regarding this.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 12:35:41 pm »
but that would also spam our git build page, wouldn't it?

Offline kkmic

• Commander
  • Undefined
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 01:04:18 pm »
It would be a "Translation update" commit...  how about one every six hours?

Offline MadAnd

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 01:36:23 pm »
I'd prefer some lower value, like 1-3 hours, since "translation commit" shouldn't trigger auto-build anyway. But virtually any frequency would be good, should it is run automatically, by scheduler 8)

Offline daggerstab

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 03:11:12 pm »
Launchpad has an automatic translation-to-version-control feature, and the standard frequency there is "once per day, if there have been any changes since the last time".

Of course, Launchpad's translation feature allows translators to download translation files, though there's a queue (you ask for translations, then wait for a notification e-mail to get a link to the file, which expires in X hours). Perhaps this is something that can be suggested to the developers of getlocalization.com?

Offline cort

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 08:45:43 pm »
I have a question regarding the strings that start/end with a space.
It seems that spaces are ignored when the original translation (english) is copied to the editor. The ones allready translated have the spaces at the begining/end.
That can confuse those starting a translation from scratch.