Author Topic: Achievements  (Read 7566 times)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Achievements
« on: July 02, 2013, 03:23:39 am »
I was wondering how feasible adding achievements to the game would be. I've done virutally no C++ at univeristy, but I've been working witn Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead for about 6 months now, so I am learning. I intend to do this on my own, with your help, but before I even start I would like to know if the mechanics are in place for doing achievements.

Hopefully this question is answerable :x if not I will delve in myself and ask tons of questions on the IRC!

Edit: Disregard the poorly spelled title...

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
Re: Achievements
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:41:36 am »
Sure, it'd be possible, if you like that sort of thing.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:47:02 am »
Yeah, it's possible, it sounds like a lot of work though given that OpenXcom isn't tied into any social gaming service where you can actually verify and show off such achievements. :)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 12:22:16 pm »
I was thinking more of Emblems like in Ogre Battle Tactics for the GBA. An example would be "Complete a mission sending only one soldier". If you are able to win with only one guy, that guy would get a medal and maybe like +30 Bravery or something as a bonus.

All that would be required from a UI standpoint is maybe an extra button in the soldier screen leading to their list of medals. Behind the scences, I would need to run checks during a mission to see if achievements are met, grant the emblem and the stats to the soldier, and communicate them to the geoscape.

In my mind, this sounds simple and doable for a beginner programmer like myself, with a bit of persistence and help from guys on IRC.

Also, this should totally be in the modding forum, oops :x

Offline kharille

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 12:29:10 pm »
Would be nice to have a system of medals for each soldier, like in mechcommander 2....

Offline Sabin Stargem

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:51:57 pm »
Maybe there could be an Achievement button for the current campaign.  Clicking on it, the player is shown a list of accomplishments, with completed ones hi-lighted.  If a player puts their cursor over where a achievement is, a popup shows the requirements for receiving that medal, and perhaps the benefits of having it.  When a player completes or fails a campaign, a .png and text file would be generated that notes a player's accomplishments for that campaign.

COMMANDER ACHIEVEMENTS

Have over [$] in funds.
Established the maximum number of bases and fully developed them at game completion.
Captured and interrogated all alien species.
Completed the ufopedia.
Get a perfect grade for a council report.
No nations backed out of the X-COM project.
Lost less than [X] number of soldiers during the campaign.
Fully staffed an Avenger with fully promoted soldiers.
Didn't lose anyone on the Cydonia mission.
Killed
  • amount of [species].

Didn't lose any civilians on a terror mission.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 01:31:27 pm »
The first step towards this would be to have a vastly extended logging of statistics. That is something I would support.

Achievements are then easily implemented by calculating stuff. That could be a mod for those who like it.

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 06:27:28 pm »
It's certainly possible, but pointless in an engine port project.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2013, 04:25:27 am »
medals, it seems every so many months some one has this great idea :)
I have been pushing for medals for long time, you know just like it was in Apoc. if you can do it, i say do it :)

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 06:00:23 pm »
medals, it seems every so many months some one has this great idea :)

This makes it sound like people have attempted and failed :x hopefully they just haven't even attempted.

Offline Simon-v

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 11:06:07 pm »
Coincidentally, i've been awarding "medals" to my soldiers by putting a symbol after their names, according to fairly simple rules of memorability of their achievements:

o - Bravery Medal - Killing an enemy or several through tremendous risk to own life, or chasing down one while wounded. Alternatively, surviving a massacre.
* - Heroism Medal - Saving the life of a teammate by neutralizing his wounder, then using a medi-kit.
+ - Sharpshooter Badge - Pulling off an improbable shot.
' - Reactions Badge - Killing an enemy or several of them via reaction fire.
~ - Tactician Badge - Purposefully killing more than one enemy using the environment, perhaps a gas pump or a fuel barrel or through a very strategic placement of proximity mines.

On the upside, it does make the better of my guys stand out. On the downside, when one of them does die, it makes the event somewhat more traumatic than it could have been otherwise.

Offline SeanEBlog

• Sergeant
  • https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1266.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 11:36:14 am »
-Risky Industry.
Have monthly running costs that are 2 million dollars greater than your monthly income.

Seriously, I've gotten game overs because of that.

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 07:02:33 pm »
This makes it sound like people have attempted and failed :x hopefully they just haven't even attempted.

lol no nobody has attempted it, as far as i know, i mean a few people (including me) have mentioned it, it would be nice if you can do it :) i already posted my ideas about the names and how to achieve them :)