aliens

Author Topic: Frustration with Syndicate retaliation  (Read 429 times)

Offline hairybert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Frustration with Syndicate retaliation
« on: September 29, 2024, 03:54:36 pm »
It's Jan 1998 and I'm on promotion II (problem for promotion III is that no cult forward base has shown up yet, and I missed to capture the VIP at the Durathread factory).

Now I'm getting lots of hostile "Syndicate retaliation" Dragonflys. So far, I didn't succeed in a single shoot-down, no matter what I try. The only vehicles with weapon slots available to me are the Humvee and the Little Bird. Stat-wise, Little Bird should be the better option. But it is always the same: I chase that Syndicate Dragonfly and eventually the air-battle window pops up. But it closes again immediately, before I could do anything. I guess the moment I enter the air-battle, the Dragonfly accelerates and my Little Bird cannot keep pace.

Is there anything I can do? Or will it inevitably end in a base defense mission (which I really would like to avoid)?

Also, what are the Little Birds actually good for? I guess Dragonflys are at the lower end of the spectrum of enemy crafts.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 10:24:39 pm by hairybert »

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Frustration with Syndicate retaliation
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2024, 04:13:23 pm »
No idea how did you get syndicate retals that early.

Imo, there's nothing you can do, except accept the base defense. It probably won't repeat in a while.

Little birds can be used for shooting cars/convoys or other helis. Can be useful for farming pilot exp, but definitely niche case.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2024, 04:52:16 pm »
There's probably a typo at the date or something fishy going on. But nonetheless:

You get syndicate retaliation only after you have completed the Syndicate Data Seizure mission. After that mission you will also get a number of important "phase two" missions with 8-16 hour timers. Even if you try to get the first phase syndicate missions as early as you can (which makes sense, because they offer good research and loot and can be completed with HELICOPTER or OSPREY grade crafts), you should not even try to complete the data seizure mission before you have obtained KITSUNE. You will need a fast craft to get to those phase two syndicate missions, and you'll need ways to shoot down the retaliations. Usually I have started dealing with the syndicate by the end of 1997, but usually end up delaying the Data seizure mission (or not researching the syndicate network) for at least 4-6 months.

Offline hairybert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2024, 05:30:49 pm »
No typo. I see the first retaliation Dragonfly on 1998-01-02. Data seizure mission was on 1997-12-21. It looked like yet another undercover mission to me. I did not have an idea that this single mission has such a huge impact on the game progression, otherwise I would have skipped it.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2024, 06:27:24 pm »
The first time(s) you play you get these, it cannot be avoided. Some deem this part of the fun.

If you want to try to avoid some of these, you'll need to look at the tech tree viewer / rulesets / trigramreactor data very carefully; the research and missions in particular. It is especially useful to check the triggers. Of course there are also other pitfalls you may stumble upon that lead to nasty surprises.

Offline hairybert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2024, 07:33:02 pm »
Hi psavola, thank you for all the explanations. That makes sense.

Unfortunately, I don't have a savegame from before the data seizure mission (also, I really would like to keep my messy but successful run of Morozova's hideout, which happened only a few days later).

But I still have a savegame from end of December, and I flirt with the idea of going back to that, removing 'STR_SYNDICATE_PISSED' from the discovered techs in the savegame. Then no retaliation and phase 2 missions will happen, since the mission generation scripts are executed only at the beginning of each month. I then continue the game, pretending that I did not do the data seizure mission before. I will do that mission again when I'm ready (in the sense that I have interceptors and Kitsune), which hopefully will set STR_SYNDICATE_PISSED again, triggering all that nasty stuff in the subsequent month.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 07:36:19 pm by hairybert »

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2024, 08:26:29 pm »
You get STR_SYNDICATE_PISSED either by successfully completing the data seizure mission or at the latest when researching the syndicate floppy disc you get from the mission. The mission won't spawn again if you have researched it (and thus obtained Syndicate Operations). If you don't want to do the mission again and haven't researched the floppy disc yet, I suppose it would be the easiest to remove STR_SYNDICATE_PISSED, and just research the floppy disc when you're ready.

Offline hairybert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2024, 11:11:54 pm »
Ah, interesting. So both the successful mission and researching the floppy disc give STR_SYNDICATE_PISSED. Probably to cover the the case that someone steals the floppy and aborts the mission.

In fact I started to research the floppy disc, but it is not finished. So I will assign the researchers to something else (there are plenty of options...). Otherwise, I remove STR_SYNDICATE_PISSED from my savegame and the progression then should be close to what it would have been if I skipped the mission.

For balancing the game, I wonder if it might be a good idea to modify Little Bird/Syndicate Dragonfly a little bit such that Little Bird has some winning chances.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 08:22:37 am by hairybert »

Offline termidor

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2024, 02:01:48 am »
Well just go for Promo III asap and Mig 31's, there is no much else to do. Getting an officier even if it costs some lifes is worth it imo, and knockout grenades make some captures rather easy. You have an option with the Cf 105 arrow but you'll need an exalt master for that which means hopefully next month HQ assault. The fastest way to get promo III for me has been Dagon due to deep one communities, but considering so early syndicate I can't really say  ;)

Offline hairybert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2024, 02:17:07 pm »
Thanks for the pointer to the CF-105. So if you are lucky, there *is* a fighter plane available before Promotion III (although only shortly before, as pointed out).

In fact, I just got my first forward base, which happened to be EXALT. The master was standing pretty close to my Skyranger, no problem to capture him. I will interrogate the hell out of him...