aliens

Author Topic: A question on aircraft  (Read 1138 times)

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
A question on aircraft
« on: January 20, 2024, 02:34:15 am »
I usually skip the MIG-31 and go strait for the interceptor because that's what I always did in old XCOM. Do you guys think that's a good idea or maybe I am making a mistake here?

Offline Stone Lake

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A question on aircraft
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 06:32:35 am »
Usually you can skip both MiGs / Interceptors altogether and get to Ravens / Thunderstorms. If you have Kitsune, it can outrun/intercept weak UFOs, which is exactly the niche for these. Usually you're better off tailing UFOs to landing, anyway.
Also, I don't remember MiGs ever being there in "old XCOM", unless you mean "old XCOM Files".

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 11:21:27 am »
Probably. This mod is such a joy to play that I don't remember when the last time is that I did not have it installed.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2024, 01:11:33 pm »
MiGs give some ability to handle cultist aircraft, but nothing really dominant, and Interceptors/Ravens can come online so soon afterwards that it's really not worth it unless you're specifically focusing your research on other topics and trying to make do in the meanwhile. And even Interceptors are so much worse than Ravens for actually chasing UFOs and not too far research-wise, so it's better to get Ravens. Thunderstorms and weapons for them can take a bit more time, so at least a few Ravens are good if you do play the air game. Which, as noted, isn't truly necessary.

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2024, 01:35:21 pm »
MiGs give some ability to handle cultist aircraft, but nothing really dominant, and Interceptors/Ravens can come online so soon afterwards that it's really not worth it unless you're specifically focusing your research on other topics and trying to make do in the meanwhile. And even Interceptors are so much worse than Ravens for actually chasing UFOs and not too far research-wise, so it's better to get Ravens. Thunderstorms and weapons for them can take a bit more time, so at least a few Ravens are good if you do play the air game. Which, as noted, isn't truly necessary.
Honestly that is what I expected to hear. And I am a bit sad as it feels balance vise that we really should get more use out of those.

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 07:13:11 am »
In my current game, I've used a decent number of Interceptors. By May, I don't have any way to manufacture the alloys needed for replacing everything with Ravens, and I want to build my first Improved Lab, which takes lots of alloys. I've also used alloys for Tanks. Minigun Tanks train up Accuracy fast, and Laser Tanks make Ghost missions a cakewalk.

Interceptors can easily shoot down all of the Hybrid defense craft with little risk. It's 50/50 against alien fighters though. Those things do way too much damage.

The Mig definitely seems like it doesn't have much of a niche, because it's a straight (though expensive) shot to Interceptors. The Arrow did a good enough job against cult craft.

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2024, 07:04:48 pm »
In my current game, I've used a decent number of Interceptors. By May, I don't have any way to manufacture the alloys needed for replacing everything with Ravens, and I want to build my first Improved Lab, which takes lots of alloys. I've also used alloys for Tanks. Minigun Tanks train up Accuracy fast, and Laser Tanks make Ghost missions a cakewalk.

Interceptors can easily shoot down all of the Hybrid defense craft with little risk. It's 50/50 against alien fighters though. Those things do way too much damage.
Good point. Their niche is when you don't have alien alloys. I guess.

The Mig definitely seems like it doesn't have much of a niche, because it's a straight (though expensive) shot to Interceptors. The Arrow did a good enough job against cult craft.
Which is funny given that in real life the MIG-31 is quite literally designed to be a giant flying radar dish with long range missiles.

Offline Empiro

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 07:32:56 am »
Interceptors are at least tough enough to stand toe to toe against medium and large scouts. They outrun the Hybrid Aircars and you can easily take them out in large numbers without risk of return fire.

MIGs though, seem to have tissue thin armor and will be blown up as soon as a UFO sneezes on them. They also have poor range and are pretty slow. I'm not sure there's a single UFO they can come out on top of, and they can't safely clear out Hybrid Aircars, which are a big risk to transports.

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2024, 08:30:16 pm »
Speaking of aircraft just how do you unlock the tier 2 submarine? The wiki both in game and online is circular as in the research link just leads to the unit.

Offline psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 09:23:45 pm »
Speaking of aircraft just how do you unlock the tier 2 submarine? The wiki both in game and online is circular as in the research link just leads to the unit.

You will get it by researching Advanced Underwater Operations. But observe that it is used only for specific missions - the small one is nonetheless used for 'old and easy' missions. This can be somewhat confusing because this is not explained anywhere in-game.

Offline PPQ

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 08:05:31 pm »
Random question. How good is the Avenger as a fighter? I mean, stat vise it looks good enough to be a decent fighter. And it has a lot of weapons, better HP and really is competitive with the Tormentor in all but speed.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 09:04:08 pm »
A bit high-maintenance and inefficient to use purely as an interceptor, but has quite a few upsides:
  • Second-best Elerium fuel efficiency (but it still eats the preciousss, which is a downside).
  • The only dual-beam craft besides the Starfighter (but that means it's kinda married to Plasma Beams, and these guzzle Elerium as well - notice a theme here? :) ). Beams are also outgunned by the heaviest cannons, but still pack more DPS than same-tier missiles. And since you get two plus a missile slot, this is arguably the first- or second-heaviest armament available to any X-Com craft.
  • Global reach several times over.
  • Second or third wrt speed and acceleration, and doesn't tucker out after one flight.
  • The toughest thing you can put in the sky, with shields and evasion on top (but no electronics). Has armour, although unless I'm misunderstanding how armour works, it's not really particularly useful against anything but the lightest weapons. A good repair rate, too, unlike the OG Avenger.

You do need a lot of research and manufacturing to get it, a regular source of Elerium to use it, four pilots to fly it, more money than anything else to maintain it (but not extravagantly so). And since it's also your biggest troop transport by a giant margin, it's kind of a waste to use it as a 'mere' interceptor.