Author Topic: [DONE] QOL SUGGESTION: Rename Soldier + Change COO from Inventory Screen  (Read 2548 times)

Offline NineCoronas

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Simple suggestion to be able to rename a soldier and change their country of origin from the inventory screen, this way you don't have to swap between two different screens to customize your soldiers.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 03:52:45 pm by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: QOL SUGGESTION: Rename Soldier + Change COO from Inventory Screen
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 09:54:28 am »
It's already possible to rename them in the inventory screen.

Changing nationality will not be possible, because there is:
a/ not enough space to show a flag
b/ and the color palette used is different

Offline NineCoronas

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2022, 10:04:46 pm »
It's already possible to rename them in the inventory screen.

I must be missing something because I can't seem to find the means to do this from the inventory screen.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2022, 11:00:47 pm »
Does clicking on the name not bring up a blinking "cursor" (vertical bar)?
That should be the indicator that you can start typing new text.

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 06:37:15 am »
Does clicking on the name not bring up a blinking "cursor" (vertical bar)?
That should be the indicator that you can start typing new text.

No. That only works in aquanaut/soldier stats screen (the one where it also shows "sack" and "diary" and where it doesn't show armor values). You can't edit the name (so far as I have tested) on the inventory screen or the another stats screen, where the title shows your rank in text and shows your armor values. Meridian likely misspoke (and this suggestion might be worthwhile) or something is up here.

By the way, in editing the name, ESC clears the name and you can't exit the screen without re-typing a name (at least I couldn't figure a way) and pressing an enter. You can also give the aquanaut a completely empty name (not sure if that's intended...). Intuitively I would expected the reverse, that is, that you could quit without changes by pressing ESC (if you for example misslicked and don't want to change the name after all).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 06:43:30 am by psavola »

Offline yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 09:24:53 am »
On the Android version, on the equipment screen, when you touch the name of a soldier, for a split second the on-screen keyboard appears, but immediately disappears. That is, it seems that editing the name was provided (otherwise the keyboard would not appear at all), but for some reason blocked.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 10:26:52 am »
On the Android version, on the equipment screen, when you touch the name of a soldier, for a split second the on-screen keyboard appears, but immediately disappears. That is, it seems that editing the name was provided (otherwise the keyboard would not appear at all), but for some reason blocked.

It's disabled when the Links button is activated. They don't work together.

Offline yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2022, 10:58:53 am »
Yes, it is. When you turn off the advanced interface, renaming works.
Well, not a feature I need that much. "Links" is more important.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2022, 09:42:03 pm »
No. That only works in aquanaut/soldier stats screen (the one where it also shows "sack" and "diary" and where it doesn't show armor values). You can't edit the name (so far as I have tested) on the inventory screen or the another stats screen ...

Since you sparked my curiosity I made the following table of screens with soldier names and the ability to change them.
* Based on observations while running OXCE 7.7
* Some of those screens can be reached via other ways, i've only included the base ones to prevent duplicates.
Code: [Select]
ID | Can edit | Location           | Screen
---+----------+--------------------+-------
1  | yes      | Base->soldiers     | Soldier stats (without armor values), name without promotion level
2  | no       | Base->soldiers     | Soldier diaries
3  | no       | Base->soldiers     | Memorial
4  | yes      | Base->craft->items | Inventory
5  | no       | Base->craft->items | Soldier stats (with armor values), name with promotion level
6  | yes      | Battle             | Inventory
7  | no       | Battle             | Soldier stats (with armor values), name with promotion level

Note: Id 6 depends on OXCE version. Prior to 7.6.2 it is a "no".

Does this differ with your observations?

As to the behavior of "ESC".
That would be a behavioral change, it is up to the devs if that is something they want.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2022, 10:00:34 pm »
Meridian likely misspoke (and this suggestion might be worthwhile) or something is up here.

I did not misspeak.
This suggestion is a duplicate of this one: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,10667.0.html
I have implemented it myself and it is confirmed working.

As for the ESC, here's the specs: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4187.msg77145.html#msg77145

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2022, 10:25:51 pm »
Since you sparked my curiosity I made the following table of screens with soldier names and the ability to change them.
* Based on observations while running OXCE 7.7
* Some of those screens can be reached via other ways, i've only included the base ones to prevent duplicates.
Code: [Select]
ID | Can edit | Location           | Screen
---+----------+--------------------+-------
1  | yes      | Base->soldiers     | Soldier stats (without armor values), name without promotion level
2  | no       | Base->soldiers     | Soldier diaries
3  | no       | Base->soldiers     | Memorial
4  | yes      | Base->craft->items | Inventory
5  | no       | Base->craft->items | Soldier stats (with armor values), name with promotion level
6  | yes      | Battle             | Inventory
7  | no       | Battle             | Soldier stats (with armor values), name with promotion level

Note: Id 6 depends on OXCE version. Prior to 7.6.2 it is a "no".

Not sure what you mean by "Base->craft->items" so I can't verify that your ID#4 works. What I was (unclearly) saying that "Base->equip submarine->sub->equipment->inventory" (which is the same as right-clicking a sub on the base screen, then equipment -> inventory) does not allow editing the name, even though I think it should be called an (the?) inventory screen. Renaming is also not possible when equipping the crew for an upcoming battle, which is probably using the same code as the aforementioned "inventory screen". Editing works fine in the similar battle inventory screen, though.

I was assuming that OP was talking (or at least could have been talking) about a different inventory screen rather than the battle inventory screen that was already recently implemented, but of course OP could have been using a non-recent version of OXCE when stating renaming doesn't work in the inventory screen.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 10:31:02 pm by psavola »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2022, 10:29:53 pm »
do you have the "Links" button activated?

Online psavola

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2022, 10:33:19 pm »
do you have the "Links" button activated?

I assume you mean the extended links advanced option. Yes, and that explains, per your previous post, why the behavior in some screens might be different.

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2022, 10:36:31 pm »
.. "Base->craft->items" =====> "Base->equip submarine->sub->equipment->inventory".
I was trying to keep the table short. Apparently it made things unclear, my apologies.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2022, 07:50:39 pm »

When clicking on the left part of the soldier name edit box, the "Links" button will be temporarily disabled and hidden so that you can see and edit the whole name.

Available since OXCE 7.1.1

PS: to re-enable the Links button, just press next/previous soldier button, or unit info button, or change armor/avatar, or save/load inventory or do anything else that reloads the screen