Author Topic: [ABANDONED] MarketUnlockResearch similar to newBaseUnlockResearch  (Read 1585 times)

Offline thusky

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Abandon reason: the concept has flaws and needs more thought

Hey it's me again, while I'm on a roll I might as well ask about this!

While it's already achievable to remove every single item from the hire/sack/buy/sell menu, I was curious if it was possible, as a request, to prevent access to this menu altogether (like newBaseUnlockResearch) until a research unlocks this menu?

It could be useful for mods with a campaign where you start from nothing, if you want to make your player learn the ropes or be in a tight spot at the beginning, until they either research the necessary topic or complete a certain mission, it would give a lot more progression to the beginning of a campaign!

Again I'm eager to see you how you feel about or if it's needed at all, it's already achievable, just less "clean" than just straight up preventing access to the menu to begin with!

This feature could also be used to prevent access to the marketplace for certain bases, but that's another kind of request I assume!

EDIT:

Dropped the idea since feedback makes a good point that this feature would involve a lot of headaches from both modders and the players themselves!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 12:15:11 pm by Meridian »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] MarketUnlockResearch similar to newBaseUnlockResearch
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 02:36:43 pm »
I don't have any strong feelings one way or another, but I do think a missing 'buy' button is likely to be as confusing and prone to 'is it a bug?' reports as an empty marketplace.

Also, it begs the question of why you still have access to selling if you don't have access to buying? What kind of strange seller's market is this? ???

And if you also lock selling behind something, that is another and much bigger can of worms.

This feature could also be used to prevent access to the marketplace for certain bases...
Unless you also want to be able to change how transfers work, that would just add more micro to what's already the most micro-heavy part of the game.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 02:38:25 pm by Juku121 »

Offline thusky

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 02:46:27 pm »
I don't have any strong feelings one way or another, but I do think a missing 'buy' button is likely to be as confusing and prone to 'is it a bug?' reports as an empty marketplace.

You're right it might confuse the player, I guess it's up to the modder to explain through an event or something!

Also, it begs the question of why you still have access to selling if you don't have access to buying? What kind of strange seller's market is this? ???

This feature would prevent both selling and buying at the same time I feel, as for transfers I imagine they could still be allowed, you just couldn't sell/buy (like an outpost for instance!)

How do you feel about that?

EDIT:

Those features could be linked to a facility/facilities, so it makes more sense to have a "marketplace", maybe that would be better?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 02:52:46 pm by thusky »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 02:59:11 pm »
You're right it might confuse the player, I guess it's up to the modder to explain through an event or something!
My point was that the only way it's 'more clean' is maybe aesthetics-wise. Neither solution is better at avoiding player confusion, so not 'cleaner' in that sense.

This feature would prevent both selling and buying at the same time I feel, as for transfers I imagine they could still be allowed, you just couldn't sell/buy (like an outpost for instance!)
In which case you can effectively still do both, there's just an extra step with extra costs attached. IMO, it's still pointless micro.

Edit: Unless your mod is on such a tight timetable that transfer times (and costs?) are actually important. Not sure many people would play such a mod, though. /edit

Those features could be linked to a facility/facilities, so it makes more sense to have a "marketplace", maybe that would be better?
If that's what your mod can sustain. The big megamods already have so many facilities that space is at a premium, and optimising so that all market transactions go through a single base with said 'marketplace' (and handling a massive increase in transfers) would really get on my nerves. No idea about other people.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2022, 03:01:01 pm by Juku121 »

Offline thusky

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 03:05:00 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, yes indeed I did think this could be a potential tricky/rejected suggestion, all fine though!

If other people are interested it could still be of value but you do make good points here.

Offline Scamps

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 01:41:04 pm »
Have a look at 40k. Individual items can be configured to require a base building to buy. Mod all items the same way, if you want, engine supports that.
Disabling selling is bad because how would you deal with storage overflow?

Offline thusky

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 09:08:05 am »
Disabling selling is bad because how would you deal with storage overflow?

Hey Scamps! Yeah I agree it could be overly problematic, the use case of such a feature would mean you design starting base storage and missions around it, which is a lot of work for a single feature, I'm going to cancel that suggestion myself actually and place a "dropped" next to the title,

Thank you guys for the feedback!