Author Topic: What is the most carefree mod now?  (Read 5336 times)

Offline BlorkTheOrk

• Captain
    • View Profile
What is the most carefree mod now?
« on: May 25, 2022, 08:55:17 pm »
I lost in Xpiratez, I lost in Xcom-files, 40k is too much terror missions... So, is there a mod for somebody who doesn't want to complete every mission, grind score, fight 6 against 50 or to have every mission a terror mission? I want something so I can play during a coffee brake.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Re: What is the most carefree mod now?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 09:36:34 pm »
Perhaps Final Mod Pack may be of interest you you?

It plays like an expanded version of the original X-COM: UFO Defense campaign.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 09:38:47 pm by The Martian »

Offline BlorkTheOrk

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 10:25:58 pm »
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Offline Fegelein

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 09:09:47 pm »
Perhaps UNEXCOM will be interesting for you? It's not that hard, and still enjoyable

Offline BlorkTheOrk

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2022, 01:36:56 pm »
Thanks for recommending. It was quite fine.

UNEXCOM is a bit too much micromanagement and too flat learning curve - everything is a bit too good from the start. But still, I wish it was among the Released mods section, it feels pretty much completed.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 02:24:09 am »
Final Mod Pack is one of the more difficult mods, or so I'm told. But I haven't actually played it.

UNEXCOM is easier, but may not have the shallowest learning curve, as you noted.

Equal Terms seems to be a fairly low difficulty mod which you may appreciate. It offers plenty of weaponry options right from the start of the game, and they are mostly quite powerful.

I would also like to recommend my own Reaver's Harmony, on Beginner difficulty. There is a lot of stuff offered in Harmony, but the game doesn't force you to engage with most of it. I am also seeking more playtesting specifically on Beginner or Experienced difficulty levels. I have made the difficulty levels vary strongly from one another, so the goal is for Beginner to offer a very casual approach that should not be too stressful even if you are not a veteran X-Com player. I would love some feedback! And if you find it difficult or stressful, let me know because I'll be eager to fix that!

Offline Rondano

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2023, 12:11:56 am »
In x-piratez, mods/Piratez/Ruleset, open Piratez_Globals, find DefeatScore and edit, add 00000, or other numbers you will never lose your game due to score.

Offline Xilmi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 07:51:53 pm »
I would also like to recommend my own Reaver's Harmony, on Beginner difficulty. There is a lot of stuff offered in Harmony, but the game doesn't force you to engage with most of it. I am also seeking more playtesting specifically on Beginner or Experienced difficulty levels. I have made the difficulty levels vary strongly from one another, so the goal is for Beginner to offer a very casual approach that should not be too stressful even if you are not a veteran X-Com player. I would love some feedback! And if you find it difficult or stressful, let me know because I'll be eager to fix that!
I'm currently playing Reaver's Harmony on Veteran Difficulty but with Brutal-AI.

From all the mods I tried it was by far the "easiest to get into" due to staying relatively close to vanilla-gameplay. There is a lot of new stuff but it isn't as excessive. I also am learning to appreciate the weapon-balance more and more where there's use-cases for all of the weapons and strength is actually a useful stat within the same tech-tier the high-strength weapons actually are better.

At least on Veteran it actually seems playable with Brutal-AI. What I also like is that at least up until now terror-missions and base-defense-missions don't seem to bay way harder than other missions as the number of aliens is still kinda reasonable.

I had several really close battles that could have gone either way. Moreso than in vanilla where there's a massive difference in difficulty between different mission-types.

I think that the design of that mod likely was more thoughtful and had a clear scope compared to some other mods that seemed excessive in scope and just like cramming in as much content as possible.

Especially in direct comparison between Final Modpack and Reaver's Harmony I vastly prefer the latter.