Author Topic: The Battle for Wesnoth is looking for contributors  (Read 4549 times)

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
The Battle for Wesnoth is looking for contributors
« on: September 07, 2021, 08:31:26 pm »

Hello everyone,

Today I am sharing an appeal by The Battle for Wesnoth development team, who is currently looking for new developers and contributors. We have decided to bring forth this appeal to other open source game projects in hopes of fostering collaboration between different community projects so we can trade skills, knowledge and benefit mutually from this.

As most of you might know, The Battle for Wesnoth is a turn-based strategy game project first started in 2003. The game is entirely open source (GNU GPLv2) with artwork licensed under CC-BY-SA. You can download the game entirely for free via Steam or on our website.

Presently we are looking for:

• C++ programmers for core programming tasks
  • Lua programmers
  • Scripters willing to learn WML internal script language
  • Python programmers for helping with external tools
  • Pixel artists
  • Playtesters
  • A video editor that can help create a trailer for the incoming stable release
  • Other miscellaneous artists and programmers

For anyone interested in applying, you can read more details on the official announcement posted on the Wesnoth forums. You can also join us at our official Discord.

Our best regards to the OpenXCom community and have a nice day!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:34:52 pm by Hythlodaeus »

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The Battle for Wesnoth is looking for contributors
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 06:34:09 pm »
1. How much do you pay?
2. If none, why should people waste time slaving on your project, when they can work on their own passion project, which they could sell for money?
3. In my understanding Battle for Wesnoth is a clone of Master of Monster ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Monsters ). It would be better to reverse engineer the Master of Monsters 2 (it has Windows version, but IIRC it is in Japanese and doesn't run on modern PCs).

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 07:52:56 pm »
1. How much do you pay?
2. If none, why should people waste time slaving on your project, when they can work on their own passion project, which they could sell for money?
3. In my understanding Battle for Wesnoth is a clone of Master of Monster ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Monsters ). It would be better to reverse engineer the Master of Monsters 2 (it has Windows version, but IIRC it is in Japanese and doesn't run on modern PCs).
Because there could be people who would gladly join this project, why you assume that they will wasting theirs time if they want to join?

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 11:47:24 pm »
1. How much do you pay?

1. Programmers tend to be volunteers but artists generally work on commission unless they volunteer on their own will. Values of commissions tend to be negotiated on an individual basis.
2. This sounds really funny considering we're posting on a forum of an open source project entirely ran by volunteers. ;D But to answer your question: because people sometimes get a greater sense of realization by taking part in something bigger than themselves. Or at least that's my personal reason why I volunteer for Wesnoth and why I have also contributed for OpenXCom. Money isn't everything in life and personal passion projects can seldomly be accomplished alone, and projects like Wesnoth and OXC are evidence of that.
3. Wesnoth is loosely based on Master of Monsters and Warsong, but it's far from being just a clone. It is one of the most highly regarded libre software games out there, having been developed for over 18 years and boosting 17 full singleplayer campaigns and fully playable online multiplayer. It boasts the contributions of dozens of people, both volunteers and commissioned workers. It was won awards in the past and it has a stable community and playerbase.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 11:50:49 pm by Hythlodaeus »

Offline cptelerium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 10:47:43 pm »

On unrelated note, your avatar picture made me really chuckle XD.
Essence of Ufo experience, especially as I remember playing it as a kid - with any of: aliens with heavy plasma, aliens that aren't secto/float/snakeman, base mission (both direction), and anything bigger than large scout
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 10:50:08 pm by cptelerium »

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 07:35:19 pm »
Programmers tend to be volunteers but artists generally work on commission

Wow! I'm still panning going to university one day. Guess I should look towards an art degree. At least the skills could earn a cup of coffee  ;D