Author Topic: [WIP] Chiko's Alternate Xcom  (Read 149819 times)

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: New weapon graphics
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2014, 05:14:00 am »
As others may have asked, do you have links to the other ob views for battlescape and the like.

Also, do you take commissions?  I could use a graphics set for a light machine gun and a sub machine gun.
I haven't done any yet. I first need the vanilla ones so I can edit them.

And maybe. I usually spend my free time on my current mod than sprite requests lately. :P

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2014, 08:32:54 am »
Wow... I just tried the arcingShot string on weapons and it makes them really interesting. :O
I think I will add that feature to plasma weapons.

Also, I just managed to add my first research thingy. After you research Small Launcher and Stun Bombs, you will be allowed to research Stun Grenades. It took a bit of time to figure out but I think I will mess with the research tree. I kinda want to rename the Laser Weapons research to Energy Weapons, give it a ufopedia entry and make it so you have to research all laser tech first to be able to research plasma weapons.

In vanilla Xcom, if you can get your hands on laser/plasma weapons way too quick... I will try to change that by make research take longer and by adding more things to research.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2014, 11:44:08 am »
Wow... I just tried the arcingShot string on weapons and it makes them really interesting. :O

Do you know also the "shotgunPellets:" option ?

Also, I just managed to add my first research thingy. After you research Small Launcher and Stun Bombs, you will be allowed to research Stun Grenades. It took a bit of time to figure out but I think I will mess with the research tree. I kinda want to rename the Laser Weapons research to Energy Weapons, give it a ufopedia entry and make it so you have to research all laser tech first to be able to research plasma weapons.

You should have a look at Solars FMP Tech Tree...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:47:39 am by Aldorn »

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2014, 05:48:54 pm »
Do you know also the "shotgunPellets:" option ?
I only read about it in the wiki but I haven't tried it yet. It sounds a bit weird in the description but if I understand correctly, it fires multiple shots but only one is shown due to vanilla engine limitations.

What about giving the arcingShot to the Cannon? It would allow it to be used as a bombardment weapon since it could be fire over obstacles.

You should have a look at Solars FMP Tech Tree...
Well, I made one (Kinda, it's more an ideal Xcom than a tech tree) years ago so I will try to implement the most I can from it but a lot of stuff is beyond my ability to mod, at least for now.

Also, I uploaded it some time ago coz a friend asked me if he could read it. It's a bit complicated to understand, though coz it's an amalgamation of ideas. :P
https://www.mediafire.com/view/61ybc7b4taccijb/X-Com_RT-Chiko.txt

I will take a look at that tech tree, though. Maybe there's something new.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2014, 06:46:55 pm »
Be careful that arcing weapons are very hard to use in alien bases, because of low ceiling.

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2014, 07:08:42 pm »
Be careful that arcing weapons are very hard to use in alien bases, because of low ceiling.
Uh oh... Forgot about that detail. Imma try them in a base attack and see if the ceiling becomes a problem. I hope not, I really like how plasma behaves differently than the rest of the weapons.

Edit: The won't hit the ceiling but it seems they sometimes "miss" an object and hit like next to it. I tried hitting an explosive alien container thing and it looked like I hit several times but the thing didn't explode. It did when I fired from another direction, though. Imma test that some more, maybe it was just bad hitting chance.

A curious thing, though. since this weapon can fire over obstacles, it makes aliens more dangerous. There is this alien who was at where the cursor is in the pic and it was able to bombard one of my troops and actually kill him this way. I don't think he has a direct line of sight but there was another alien seeing that guy.

Can aliens "use" spotters the way we do? If they do then this feature makes the game harder at the early stages. xD
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 07:44:48 pm by Chiko »

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2014, 09:08:48 pm »
Finally gave the arcingShot to cannons. It turns them into friggin mortar cannons and you can fire them over buildings if you have a spotter. I love it. I shall rename them Siege Cannons and edit their ufopedia entry.

Also, I decreased their blast radius. Their explosions were a bit too big, IMO. I also did for Auto Cannons, specially since they have bigger ammo clips and can fire a lot more bullets per turn.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #142 on: June 25, 2014, 12:34:02 am »
Can aliens "use" spotters the way we do? If they do then this feature makes the game harder at the early stages. xD

If an alien sees your soldier, they know exactly where the soldier is for a number of turn equal to their Intelligence (normally 2, for the not-so-bright ones). So they actually have a very good intel. :)

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 25, 2014, 03:13:14 am »
About the research thing I mentioned. Is it a good idea to add human versions of the alien weapons? If so:

1-As soon as you research a weapon and its ammo, you can build human looking version of them, with probably some bonus like better accuracy or less TUs usage.

Or

2-Once you research all items related to a specific tech, plasma for instance, you will be allowed to research the human counterparts with the bonuses.

If an alien sees your soldier, they know exactly where the soldier is for a number of turn equal to their Intelligence (normally 2, for the not-so-bright ones). So they actually have a very good intel. :)
:O

I didn't imagine it would be like that. I thought it was simpler.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:26:24 pm by Chiko »

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 25, 2014, 01:17:09 pm »
I like this idea of human version of alien weapons
1st : they are nice
2nd : this will make alien weapons found on battle screen unusable, so beware to take enough ammunitions with you

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 25, 2014, 07:47:28 pm »
Hmm... after a while testing plasma weapons with the arcingShot, I think it makes them way to powerful... you can just send one person to explore and as soon as you encounter someone, you can tell everyone to rain down plasma with incredibly accuracy. Also, since this goes over obstacles, it's impossible to aim at a wall, since the shoot will either land at either of the sides instead of hitting the wall. So I will remove it.

One thing I could do, is to edit all 3 plasma weapons into this:

-Reduce the number of rounds per clip. These guns have too much ammo, IMO.
-Remove the burst shot option from the plasma pistol and rifle.
-Turn the Heavy Plasma into a fully automatic siege weapon. Which only fires in bursts and with the arcingShot feature so it will be a mixture between the Auto Cannon and the Siege Cannon.
-Make it so all 3 plasma weapons are used by the aliens at later stages of the game to avoid aliens using only the Heavy Plasma.

Also, I could post a download link and keep it updated it so you can all try these changes and see if it's good content or not. I could use some feedback since I suck at rebalancing. :P

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2014, 07:55:21 pm »

Once more, have a look at Solars Alien Expanded Armoury, as he added new Alien weapons (Plasma Caster, Plasma Blaster, Plasma Sniper Rifle, Toxingun).

There is an unused sprite of "heavy Plasma" (Plasma Destroyer if I well remember) that I used to make a Plasma Scatter (Plasma HMG)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:57:21 pm by Aldorn »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #147 on: June 25, 2014, 10:12:03 pm »
Once more, have a look at Solars Alien Expanded Armoury, as he added new Alien weapons (Plasma Caster, Plasma Blaster, Plasma Sniper Rifle, Toxingun).

There is an unused sprite of "heavy Plasma" (Plasma Destroyer if I well remember) that I used to make a Plasma Scatter (Plasma HMG)

Thanks for the mention, Aldorn. :) For clarity, the weapon is called Plasma Blaster, but its string is STR_PLASMA_DESTROYER, since I couldn't settle on a name.

Because some people complained it was too similar to Heavy Plasma, Dioxine made a more distinct sprite, which is now used. However, I still attach the old files for those who prefer them. And you can totally use it Chiko, although you're a way better artist than me anyway. :)

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 25, 2014, 10:39:15 pm »
Thanks for the mention, Aldorn. :) For clarity, the weapon is called Plasma Blaster, but its string is STR_PLASMA_DESTROYER, since I couldn't settle on a name.

Because some people complained it was too similar to Heavy Plasma, Dioxine made a more distinct sprite, which is now used. However, I still attach the old files for those who prefer them. And you can totally use it Chiko, although you're a way better artist than me anyway. :)
And you were well inspired to do so, thanks  :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 05:04:53 am by Aldorn »

Offline Chiko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2014, 04:36:16 am »
I wasn't able to do much today coz I got some work to do but here's a link to the unfinished mod in case someone wants to take a look: https://www.mediafire.com/download/d7kwb97gpy5n6p1/ChikoXcom.rar

It includes:
-New inventory graphics for some of the vanilla weapons.
-The Rifle has been separated into two weapons, Assault Rifle and Sniper Rifle.
-Auto Cannon now fires in auto mode only and their ammo has smaller blast radius but it needs considerable less TUs to use and has more rounds per clip.
-The Cannon has been replaced by a new weapon, the Siege Cannon. It can fire over obstacles and buildings with the help of a spotter. Their ammo has smaller blast radius since now it's a lot more deadly.
-The Laser Weapons research has its own ufopedia entry.
-All plasma weapons have reduced rounds in their ammo clips.
-Plasma Pistol and Rifle cannot fire in auto.
-Heavy Plasma cannot be fired in aimed mode now but it can be fired over obstacles, making it more useful.

I think that's all for now. I have some time right now so I will work on ways to add more research entries and stuff.