Author Topic: Nightly Builds Discussion for Modders/LPers/Players/etc.  (Read 111757 times)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Nightly Builds Discussion for Modders/LPers/Players/etc.
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:51:50 pm »
The propose of this thread is help Modders, LPers or Players select a nightly build to use while working or simply for playing. While Developers will want to use the latest nightly, all the rest of the community will want builds with some 'stability', so this thread is to discuss nightlies that might be appropriate.

To participate, simply post the current nightly that you are using and your overall impression.

Please note: this thread is not meant for bug reporting - that should be done using the bugtracker.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:46:49 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Nightly Builds Discussion for Modders/LPers/Players/etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:54:18 pm »
And to start, I've currently upgraded to built 2015-01-18 03:22. I haven't done much use of it since I'm in the middle of some major ruleset changes but so far it works without the issues of the previous builds.

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 06:13:21 am »
I'm using openxcom_2014-11-25_14-28-33

but that was just to get two weapon HWP's. haven't updated since then since I'm on a mac and it's a little more involved, and for my development purposes it's been fine for now.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:43:52 am »
just as a public service announcement: promotions were broken between builds 2015_01_07_0017 and 2015_01_21_0537
@jackstraw: is https://bitbucket.org/grrussel/openxcomosx of no use to you?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:53:54 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline jackstraw2323

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 03:21:18 pm »
The OS X build at the Bitbucket link works, and that's what I'm using. Weirdly you can replace the files in the 1.0 release as it complains about finding the soldier names folder. Running from the command line however does work. I just haven't upgraded since I've been more focused on writing mod rules and getting sprites imported.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 04:34:26 pm »
just as a public service announcement: promotions were broken between builds 2015_01_07_0017 and 2015_01_21_0537
@jackstraw: is https://bitbucket.org/grrussel/openxcomosx of no use to you?

Thanks Warboy, it would also be useful to have this kind of announcements here I think.

Can you set this thread as a sticky?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 08:09:10 pm »
Well, I guess it's time to upgrade to a newer nightly. Any suggestions? I understand that the latest releases have changed things with the Terror Sites and Cydonia settings.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 08:41:36 pm »
Current changes about mission sites are preparative, they are not ironed out yet. Better to wait for couple of next commits. At least on this particular section.

Offline CryptoCactus

• Sergeant
  • oh god how did this get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 07:52:10 pm »
Since the OXC default ruleset is in its own subfolder now, does that mean mod subfolders are a possiblity in the near future?

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 11:08:15 pm »
Since the OXC default ruleset is in its own subfolder now, does that mean mod subfolders are a possiblity in the near future?
Yes, but don't mess with it just yet because we'll probably be changing the mod structure further in the near future (it's kinda necessary to have UFO and TFTD side by side).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 03:18:53 pm »
Since the terror site seems to have been unhardcoded now (with emphasis on seems to), does it mean we can have other special missions now? Like the alien raid mission that Hobbes made?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 07:33:57 pm »
Although I don't really support its use as a milestone, I currently use the October 27th nightly.

Much like jackstraw, I got it to use 2 weapon HWPs at the time when everyone was excited and wanted some. I think it works pretty well as far as my needs go and it would have been a good v1.1 since it introduced a rather major (or very successful) feature.

I think we should pick something relatively recent (post map scripts) for our first "community milestone", but before the new mission stuff since that's not finished. Unfortunately, I can barely compile nightlies for myself (on Linux) so I certainly would not be able to offer much in the way of support... I very much support the idea though, and you love to base the XAE (and other mods I have on the planning stage) on more stable releases than the nightlies...

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 08:00:43 pm »
Tested for some months of campaign on "01_23_1405", now unavailable.
Now I've been using "02_02_2100", seems fine for now but I've just begun with it.

Only strange thing I noticed is that explosive and melee damage seem to be on the high side of the dice. I wondered if melee damage bypassed the armor (which isn't the case) after a chryssalid insta-killed one of my tanks.
But since I'm using my mod which messes with everything, it might very well be some wonky values I entered here and there, that need to be fixed.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 08:08:38 pm »
At this stage I'm following volutar's advice and sticking with build 2015_01_21_0537 until the new mission rules from TFTD are implemented. If you're creating/expanding a mod it's better for your sanity to finish it first before upgrading to a more recent build.

Robin, your description makes wonder if it the melee mechanism has been changed to TFTD but wonky values are usually the better explanation ;)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:10:57 pm by Hobbes »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 09:26:47 pm »
I think you should then crate "mod" on mod site that will have this build. This will simplify for other people grabbing this build.