Author Topic: UFO upgrades  (Read 100897 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
UFO upgrades
« on: March 15, 2012, 12:38:19 pm »
I want to expand the variety of UFO used in openxcom. First thing i want to do is get doors  working on the other 2 walls.

Also anyone know WHY the back walls in UFO are Objects and not Walls , i am sure there is a reason i just cant think of it ::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:15:19 am by luke83 »

Offline Conti-k

• pixelpolice
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: UFO Wall PLacement
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:14:08 pm »
Engine/artwork design (32x40 limit to be more specific). I've already explained what would happened if you would try to re-align "back" UFO walls to make it act like standard walls.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:13:58 pm »
must of skimmed past that bit , sorry :-[

Volutar

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:19:33 pm »
I think engine must be reworked, and these walls should become passable-by as others. For the moment you cannot stand near these walls.
This is one of original engine flaws, that must be corrected.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:24:43 pm »
Is it possible to walk through these if there is a Door ( sorry if its a silly question as i have not tried yet in game because of a error in Mapview i am getting)

Volutar

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:41:09 pm »
Sure you can remove this content-wall and replace it with ordinary door, but it won't be "outside" of UFO hull as these walls, and you won't be able to place your units outside of it (diagonally).
And there are no outside walls tiles for north and west sides of walls.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »
It is likely just an original engine limitation. The "wall sections" are designed to seamlessly connect and line up when they're regular perpendicular flat walls. But the UFO outer walls have that peculiar design with diagonals and curvy and different outside/inside look, which probably didn't fit together just as regular "wall sections", so they hacked them in with "content sections" instead. Bytes were too precious to be wasted just for some fancy UFO tiles! ;)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:20:54 pm »
SO i have taken a Door MCD set ( USING MCDADD) copied it to U_Bits (To get around a error in mapview when you try to load new MCD sets into it) and change it sprites to be some really basic  Door sprites so i could test the motion in game.

In game these doors are not animating at all , i walk though a solid wall, the only thing that works is when i step the tile the units sprite gets placed infront of the door sprite which would be correct IF it opened. Anyone got any thoughts as to Why this could be.  Looking at the MCD data listed in mapview, it knows its a door so why wont it animate >:(

Also ADMIN maybe this should be moved to Experiments and mods as IF i work out what is going wrong i want to start building some new UFO layouts.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:26:12 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 02:32:41 pm »
Door Trim Test

Offline Conti-k

• pixelpolice
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 08:01:59 pm »
To get doors working you must put them into walls slots. Since "back" UFO walls can be only placed in content slot, you must re-align your doors and that means they'll be "flat" (like any normal doors). It's the reason why Avenger have no doors... look where red lines are - outside of the craft thus unit will pass through them like ghost.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:23 pm »
Thanks ContiK, i switched the door to the Wall slot and everything works good walking through the door from the outside. However it doesnt trigger the animation walking through the door from inside the ufo :-[
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:26:08 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: UFO upgrades
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 10:41:11 am »
Looks like there is also a issue with the unit walking through the walls when they enter through these Doors.  IF OpenX wont support this in the future it will limit the variety i was Planning but there is still plenty i can do. I was hoping to allow a ufo to land at any rotation , Keep all the outsides the same and just vary the internal so you would never know exactly What you where walking in to. Random Map generation in the original was good , but only one layout of each UFO design kinda killed the fun for me.   
 As such i have started building a few new  objects for the UFO but i really need to see what becomes supported in the future, so to begin with i will keep things relatively  simply .

PS: Sorry about the Barbie in the screen shot , it keeps my daughter happy ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:08:09 pm by luke83 »

Offline Conti-k

• pixelpolice
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 06:30:03 pm »
Thanks ContiK, i switched the door to the Wall slot and everything works good walking through the door from the outside. However it doesnt trigger the animation walking through the door from inside the ufo :-[

Image I've posted above explains it - doors "trigger" is outside of the craft, or UFO. So unit going from inside won't "hit" it, and will pass through doors like a ghost.

As I already said, the only thing you can do is this:

(stuff inside of selection would be lost)

or wait when "content" walls will be fixed... if (that's a big "if"  ;) ) will be ever fixed, of course...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:37:33 pm by Conti-k »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 11:21:44 pm »
Couldn't we Trigger it early using a tweak to path finding ( Luke83 says with no understanding of programming) :P

It Knows your going to walk through the door the moment your on the next block and going to walk through.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 01:45:55 am »
I think that OpenXcom should support 4 walls. Not only N&W but S&E too. This will be compatible with old maps because thy will always have S&E == null but new maps created for OpenXcom could have set this two new walls. One side effect of this will be that some house can have "thick" walls if both walls E&W are set. This can give us some fun effects like burning inner walls in buildings (inner wall is less durable than outer, small fire destroy it showing outer one). Another one is that you could join two buildings without any space and both will have own walls.