Author Topic: UFO upgrades  (Read 102436 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: UFO upgrades
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2012, 05:22:34 am »
Sorry about the CAPS  ;)

How do i open a .DAT file ? I was hoping i could create some new images for the interception screen to match any new MAP files to allow me to a create some more variation per UFO class.

Volutar

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2012, 06:23:34 am »
Getting .dat files modified is a very wrong way. There should be alternative images structure/format for additional content. Original files must not be modified.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2012, 06:40:58 am »
What a excellent idea Volutar , does that mean you will be volunteering for the job ;)

Well i guess i will need to stick to original shapes for now.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:46:44 am by luke83 »

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 12:57:59 pm »
Sorry about the CAPS  ;)

How do i open a .DAT file ? I was hoping i could create some new images for the interception screen to match any new MAP files to allow me to a create some more variation per UFO class.
They are like SCR, just an uncompressed image that contains all the graphics in sequence.

Volutar is right though, it was not designed with moddability in mind so your only option is modifying the file or not worrying about it, it's a pretty minor part of the UFOs. :P

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2012, 04:31:55 pm »
I know its a minor part but there is always someone that will complain  :P  The plan is make multi version of the original first anyway so i am not overly worried about this. I am holding back on this as i really need a new version of Mapview so i can import my own extra UFO PCK/MCD file.

Spent 20 mins creating a free website today just so my file are stored in a second location, i would hate to loose all my hard work over the last 6 months because the file host wipped my data. https://openxcommods.weebly.com/

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2012, 06:33:40 pm »
you have great idea with that page, but I see some parts that can be improved.
A) Add link to openxcom web page :)
B) Add alternative links to your upload (to reduce upload from you page)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 03:32:34 am »
Excellent Feedback Yanks , i will do :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 02:37:57 pm »
OK so after much thought and some stress with Mapedit i have finally started building some new UFOs.  Same rules as my terror site will apply , leave original UFOs unchanged ( mostly) and build lots and lots more.

Stage 1 will be using the original UFO outer-hulls and redesigning the interiors to create at a little surprise when you storm a UFO.
Stage 2 will get some new Designs created for the outer hulls , access ramps to roof and all the other strange and weird stuff i have always dreamed about. I also want to create new UFO pictures for the interceptor screen in the hope that one day i can pass the correct UFO picture with the ufo in combat.
 I will work completely through Stage 1 on all UFO ( except very small scout) first to keep the puritans happy then the weird stuff ( Stage 2) will start getting made! I dont have a target for the amount of UFO to create so lets just say A LOT.

All my UFOs will use a NEW MCD/PCK file called "UFOL83" which will need to be added to the end of all UFO types to use, this way original game data remains unchanged.

Also i don't expect everyone to like every design so if you don't like a UFO dont include it in your game.

If you find any floors in my UFOs please let me know so i can fix them. If you want to Help let me know and i will send you my MCD/PCK set and we can build together.

Tonight i have Built 7 new small UFOs , hopefully will have the  spawn points set-up this week and tested so i can move onto a larger UFO with more options.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:44:38 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2012, 02:12:13 pm »
Started on the next size up UFO tonight, I have made 4 new types so far ( i want at least 10 for Stage1 in this size UFO)  however i have thought of some new MCD/PCKs i need to make to keep expanding my set) so this will be it for tonight.

First 2 images are just one 90 rotated and a new layout to showcase.

Last one is something i need to look into , i want to create BIGWALLS for internal walls. The graphics are easy ( i think , unless i havent thought something through) , getting the MCD data correct will be a pain as i want some with and without windows, Time to learn how to use MCDEDIT it appears ::)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:23:45 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2012, 03:56:26 pm »
Some More
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 05:02:27 pm by luke83 »

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 04:02:41 pm »
Well done!! 8)

Offline hsbckb

• Colonel
  • Gill Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2012, 04:16:08 pm »
Some More

I think the facing of the the crashed UFO (original design) should be random. 

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2012, 04:30:06 pm »
did anyone already create UFO outer doors for the northern and eastern sides? that would be necessary for randomly facing UFOs. I'm all in favor of those, of course.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2012, 04:44:42 pm »
did anyone already create UFO outer doors for the northern and eastern sides? that would be necessary for randomly facing UFOs. I'm all in favor of those, of course.

I did create a set but because of map format limitations they cant be used unless i can specify 2 separate sets of UFO MCD/PCK files ( one lot to expand original set - im working on now) and another set for the other 2 rotations ( alot of work to make) . Only other option is a NEW map format but that is a lot of work just to have the other 2 sides of ufo added.

I think the facing of the the crashed UFO (original design) should be random. 

I am doing a rotated version of each original design  and then a heap of random ones.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:46:27 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2012, 01:22:21 pm »
Just a few more. This may be all in this size UFO for now as i need to finish a few new PCK i am working on to increase variety i also need to add something ( not sure yet) new to add more terrain for the aliens to hide behind in the big open rooms.