Author Topic: [SUB-MOD] Nuclear-Powered AP Lasers  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[SUB-MOD] Nuclear-Powered AP Lasers
« on: June 26, 2021, 07:15:49 pm »
Little parting gift after 8 months spent with XPZ. Smol but packs a punch. Fits nicely in end-game as bit of a fixer upper while being lore-friendly. Don't wanna spoil more than I already have in the title so feel invited to explore it for yourself.

Installation: Unpack into \XPirateZ\User\mods folder, run XPZ and activate the sub-mod. Easy peasy.

I can foresee sub-mod breaking given enough time solely because listOrder IDs of new stuff I added start eventually getting used by XPZ itself. There are gaps in numbers thoughtfully put in to account for future retrofitting but those are not envisioned to get filled by random 3rd party sub-mods. All IDs were carefully chosen except one where I had little choice (12881). Should buy some smooth years hopefully. Could have put it all at the end of a long list and be done with it but I would never break order aesthetic like that. Maybe there's a better way to avoid future listOrder conflict but I haven't found one yet.

Feel free to rip assets and use however you desire.

Mild spoiler
Spoiler:
Note that to access this content in your own playthrough you will need to have practically all technologies researched. As the key to final vanilla tech gate this sub-mod depends on can be found only on downed end-game Marsec ship patrols (Viper or Gunship), it is entirely possible and even more likely to win the game on Cydonia before ever finding the key. As such sub-mod is oriented toward those rare purist completionists among us. New research content (8 topics) accounts for roughly 2%.

Backstory and more spoilers
Spoiler:
Sub-Mod started coming into fruition right after an exhausting Space Freighter mission, where vanilla Battle Laser sparkled too many times on naked skins of some very fortunate Traders. Just as so many times before. Tipping the RNG into the realm of sanity became an obsession despite overwhelming lack of experience and motivation. Sparkles proved highly persuasive though so after two grueling days of ups and downs on steep learning curve I finally got it to load without errors and operational. All that remained were the finishing touches.

All was good until after just one night worth of sleep... I had a hellish vision of someone asking me to apply AP ability to other 6 NP lasers, after months have passed, when I naturally forgot all about this. Having been there before (hate that) but also thinking it would be a good idea I went on and expanded AP to all 7 NP lasers. When it rains it pours, right? It should give them some more utility next to Plasma Pistol and the likes.
Gave a short consideration to matching defense facility but it proved completely redundant at that stage of the game. Besides, tech's two main benefits (infinite ammo, AP) are nullified in such form. So never gonna happen.

To delay obsoletion of clipped AP lasers, which become available for research practically at the same time, I put handful of intermediate prerequisite techs (each weapon has its own research). Not that's gonna matter much I figure. Progression balance wise my options are limited and to remain somewhat lore-friendly, overall cost of manufacture is also marginal. But to hell with all that. It's the end-game, balance is secondary, and domination is your hard earned right!

Image spoiler
Spoiler:
Are you really sure? Don't be a fool.
Spoiler:
Final warning.
Spoiler:
There are only dick pics here...
Spoiler:
Just play the game you gaylord.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:26:20 pm by Nilex »

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [SUB-MOD] Nuclear-Powered AP Lasers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 11:59:18 pm »
Updated for XPZ L10 compatibility. No additions or content changes.

Existing L9 users: continue as you were.
L10 adopters: download L10 archive and replace files (only "Piratez_Globals.rul" was changed).

In the future, when XPZ comes packed with newer OXCE version, use OCXE 7.0.12+ archive (only "Piratez_Globals.rul" is changed).

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 12:01:56 am »
Updated for XPZ M1.x compatibility, including new laser armor damage.

Existing L10 users: continue as you were.
M1.x adopters: download M1.x archive and replace files (only "Piratez" and "Piratez_Globals.rul" were changed).

In the future, when XPZ comes packed with newer OXCE version, use OCXE 7.0.12+ archive (only "Piratez_Globals.rul" is changed).

PS
My lasers are too hi-tech to interact with air molecules thereby leave no vapor trails :P
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 03:09:51 am by Nilex »

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 08:02:13 pm »
Final compatibility pass. Works with M2 and beyond. No new content or changes, only cleaned up OP from redundant info.
If you already applied previous "OCXE 7.0.12+" archive then you are set. If you are unsure what I'm talking about, simply repeat installation step and overwrite.

PS
Remember to periodically check included README and perform steps to ensure compatibility of deeply-rooted listOrder IDs. Every or every other major content update should suffice. You'll have to do it among yourselves because this will be my last visit in a long while. Ain't nothing too hard and you may learn something.

PPS
So how about them pesky Marsec R2D2s. Destroying them in single auto-slavo feelz good doesn't it? :)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 08:29:28 pm by Nilex »

Offline zombieguy223

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 07:05:15 am »
Apologies for bumping an old topic, but I wanted to share that I got the laser trails working for this mod.

I was able to get it working by referencing the resources from the main Piratez mod in the ruleset, as you'll be able to see. I got the idea from here: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)#Negative_indices_and_cross-referencing_other_mods
I also updated the categories so they're usable on Mars and the Moon, and changed the accuracy and TU cost to match the current (N9) values for the base nuclear-powered lasers. As far as I can tell there aren't yet issues with the listorder IDs.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 10:52:59 am »
Very nice!
Glad to see there is still a place for them, after XPZ received so many updates it's unrecognizable from when I played.
Especially happy that IDs survived the mayhem. And if I ever get around to do a 2nd playthrough I'll definitely use your sub-sub-mod :)