aliens

Author Topic: Short Anims for truncated bullet strikes  (Read 1780 times)

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Short Anims for truncated bullet strikes
« on: June 21, 2021, 10:41:08 pm »
Since this is a thing now I figured id cook up some better looking hit anims for bullet impacts. By reducing them to 1, 2, or 3 frames the standard bullet anim looks terrible (ooh its a pale white "dot").

Ive got a few colors. One of the golden ones is abit rebated for the first frame. Another is more pale yellow than gold. Have a red and a blue one too. Im sure these will look pretty good even if they're only 2 frames displayed.
(should note that guns like MAG ammo and Skorpion which cause fire effects will cause noticeable delay on impact even if the animation is truncated, which in practice seems to make the 1st frame display slightly longer with a lag onscreen)

Im sure these sprites can be played with by someone with better tool than I currently have.
I dont think the rest of the frames (for a 10 set) need to be declared, if you add the file separately from the main smoke.pck replacement. Just take care to index each 10 higher.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:47:13 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Short Anims for truncated bullet strikes
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 11:50:49 pm »
been refining this more and I found that a basic "thwack" sorta effect similar to what you'd find in older style games actually works pretty good for the 1 frame machineguns.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 11:54:11 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Short Anims for truncated bullet strikes
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 02:53:27 am »
I made a small mod that replaces (MOST) bullet impacts using this ideology.
No gameplay impact.